PDA

View Full Version : Hunting?

Avianrave
10-01-2008, 09:19 PM
How is hunting? Is it fun, boring? Is it better then fishing?
Are gun clubs fun? Are there any benefits to shooting a rifle other then being bad ***, like any skills you learn that can spill over into other areas?

maniacmechanic
10-01-2008, 09:46 PM
where you live ? what is your quarry ?
I lived to deer hunt when I lived up north , scouting started at the end of july & hunting season ended the end of december
It's like anything else , you get out of it what you put in it , if you love the woods & nature & understand how it works it's great , you learn a lot , the biggest thing I learned is it not about the killing , it's about the hunting ; learning to outsmart all the sences of the animal , which are all better than ours

Hilltop Customs
10-01-2008, 09:46 PM
shooting is fun....never been hunting. Next year I think I'm buying a new rifle and getting my deer license....I miss the deer jerky I used to get from friends back in the day.

skife
10-01-2008, 10:01 PM
never shot an animal, but gutted a deer before.

Avianrave
10-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I live in CT. I'm right now writing a paper for a class (Air Rifle Marksmanship). I was getting writers block, and was fishing for ideas :argh:

I think I wrote enough about hunting now, but I got a few more sentences left in the paper till I'm done.

grEnAlEins
10-01-2008, 10:34 PM
How is hunting? Is it fun, boring? Is it better then fishing?
Are gun clubs fun? Are there any benefits to shooting a rifle other then being bad ***, like any skills you learn that can spill over into other areas?
Awesome. It is always a good time, sometimes boring though. Hands down better IMHO.
Yes. Yes. Between hunting and shooting you learn patience, respiratory control, rhythmic breathing, coordination, anatomy, how to cook stuff and make it taste good, tracking, about animal instincts, survival skills, tradition, respect for firearms, respect for life, appreciation of nature, conservation principals, land management, the importance of family, the value of good friends, and I probably left a great deal out. It depends how into it you get I guess. It also depends on why you hunt and who you hunt with. I would never trade my ability to hunt or shoot.

Avianrave
10-01-2008, 11:14 PM
grEnAlEins, somehow you made me want to go out hunting even more then I did.

grEnAlEins
10-01-2008, 11:22 PM
grEnAlEins, somehow you made me want to go out hunting even more then I did.
It is not for everyone, but if you are interested you really should give it a try. It might just become your new favorite sport/hobby. It is such a rush to see an animal walking up and to start planning your shot. This is even more true if you bow hunt, which is what I prefer. Bow hunting--and archery in general--take a great deal of skill and patience, even more than other types of hunting.

One thing I forgot to mention--and this will want to make you shoot even more:
There is NOTHING hotter than watching your girlfriend shoot a clay pigeon with your shotgun or shoot a pop can with your rifle, NOTHING!

I still need to get girlie out to shoot my new AK-47 variant and my 1911A1 clone... :wow: That will probably be a summer thing though, seeing as how we are both in school and 1100 miles away right now :(

snoopay700
10-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Never shot an animal, cut a catfish's head off, and a bass' for my friend. That catfish didn't wanna die, i felt sorry for it's body, but the head was dead instantly.

If i ever were to hint it would probably be smaller game and with a recurve bow (compounds are for pussies :p, actually i just don't like them) because there's just something about a gun that seems like overkill for animals.

EDIT: Oh yeah greenaliens, nothing turns me on more than knowing that if i ever piss off my girlfriend that she's a good shot. :rofl:

Avianrave
10-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Never shot an animal, cut a catfish's head off, and a bass' for my friend. That catfish didn't wanna die, i felt sorry for it's body, but the head was dead instantly.

If i ever were to hint it would probably be smaller game and with a recurve bow (compounds are for pussies :p, actually i just don't like them) because there's just something about a gun that seems like overkill for animals.

EDIT: Oh yeah greenaliens, nothing turns me on more than knowing that if i ever piss off my girlfriend that she's a good shot. :rofl:

Girls can shoot? Movies must have brainwashed me.

grEnAlEins
10-02-2008, 11:20 AM
:rofl: , yeah, but she doesn't actually own a firearm ;) yet :(

Girls can shoot?
My girlfriend is actually a pretty good shot. She is actually pretty good at shooting clays and plinking pop cans. Snoopay brings up a good point though. I'd better be careful :eek:

snoopay700
10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
:rofl: That is why anygirlfriend i have isn't even learning to shoot a paintball gun, i know how to keep safe (ok, that's a lie, she'll probably learn as much about guns as me most likely because i like to share the wealth. I have to say, if i found a girl that is as into cars as i am and could challenge me in a race, THAT would be hot.)

Lohman446
10-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Overkill = Humane :)

snoopay700
10-02-2008, 11:50 AM
:rofl:
Fine, fine, i don't want to have to pick up each individual piece of the animal. Although that would make them bite size...

kruger
10-02-2008, 12:09 PM

You can now change that Avitar to:

useful posts: 7

Lohman446
10-02-2008, 12:40 PM
:rofl:
Fine, fine, i don't want to have to pick up each individual piece of the animal. Although that would make them bite size...

Anything bigger than grizzly bear = 458 LOTT (you may sub in 460 Weatherby)

From whitetail to grizzly = 375 H+H (you may sub in 375 Ruger, 375? Weatherby, 416 Rigby, etc)

Above prairie dog to whitetail = 270 Winchester (you may sub in 30/06, 308, 338, 260 Weatherby, etc.)

Varmint = .204 Ruger (22-250 Swift, 223, etc.)

If you must go to a two gun solution the 375 and 270 should cover everything, make sure you get a good, controlled feed bolt action 375 for dangerous game. :)

behemoth
10-02-2008, 12:47 PM

Girls are always better shots than guys, providing they're not playing miss priss and acting afraid of the gun.

MANN
10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Girls are always better shots than guys, providing they're not playing miss priss and acting afraid of the gun.

i dunno maybe just with rifles. My wife cant shoot a 2' tree from 10 ft with my springfield xd9.

Eatem Alive
10-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Before you shoot anything, I would suggest tasting some different types of game if possible...the flavors aren't for everyone. Also, check on the various costs for processing it. It can get quite expensive if you are not doing it yourself. It would be a shame to shoot a big game animal just for the thrill or trophy aspect of it. My wife and I were backpacking last week and about 3 miles in, we passed a couple of hunters coming out who were carrying a nice wide 5 x 5 rack and no meat. They cut off the rack and ditched the body somewhere...idiots.

Basically, there is a lot more to hunting than just dropping the hammer.

Sumthinwicked
10-02-2008, 05:47 PM
some of the best snipers in the world were women just an fyi prego with a gun u better run zigzag or one catches you cheating better say ur peace to god L:OL

SCpoloRicker
10-02-2008, 08:37 PM

YA RLY! (http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boarhuntwalchessanctuarmm1.jpg)

LegumeOfTerror
10-03-2008, 09:54 AM
It is not for everyone, but if you are interested you really should give it a try. It might just become your new favorite sport/hobby. It is such a rush to see an animal walking up and to start planning your shot. This is even more true if you bow hunt, which is what I prefer. Bow hunting--and archery in general--take a great deal of skill and patience, even more than other types of hunting.

One thing I forgot to mention--and this will want to make you shoot even more:
There is NOTHING hotter than watching your girlfriend shoot a clay pigeon with your shotgun or shoot a pop can with your rifle, NOTHING!

I still need to get girlie out to shoot my new AK-47 variant and my 1911A1 clone... :wow: That will probably be a summer thing though, seeing as how we are both in school and 1100 miles away right now :(

you never posted pics of your WASR. do so now.

Anything bigger than grizzly bear = 458 LOTT (you may sub in 460 Weatherby)

From whitetail to grizzly = 375 H+H (you may sub in 375 Ruger, 375? Weatherby, 416 Rigby, etc)

Above prairie dog to whitetail = 270 Winchester (you may sub in 30/06, 308, 338, 260 Weatherby, etc.)

Varmint = .204 Ruger (22-250 Swift, 223, etc.)

If you must go to a two gun solution the 375 and 270 should cover everything, make sure you get a good, controlled feed bolt action 375 for dangerous game. :)

.30-06 is probably the best overall caliber for this continent. .375 will cover just about everywhere else.

Lohman446
10-03-2008, 10:12 AM
.30-06 is probably the best overall caliber for this continent. .375 will cover just about everywhere else.

I would lean toward some of the 30 magnums if I had to consider a best for this continent rifle and was limited to one. That being said the 30/06 should be good enough, so should most of the others listed in that line.

I'm not limited to one :) So not a big issue.

Then again, if ammo availability / cost is one of the criteria the /06 starts to become more and more appealing

grEnAlEins
10-03-2008, 11:04 AM
you never posted pics of your WASR. do so now.
My cousin has the pics on a non-digital disposable. As soon as he gets them developed I will post them up.

Also, someone talked about the cost of processing if you do not do it yourself. I say do it on your own. It is part of the experience. If not, it should not be more than $80-90 for a basic processing. Them make your own jerky, sausage, etc. I do not like using a processor because they steal some of the loins :mad:

Avianrave
10-03-2008, 04:03 PM
some of the best snipers in the world were women just an fyi prego with a gun u better run zigzag or one catches you cheating better say ur peace to god L:OL

I was being slight sarcastic.

However don't worry about a mad girlfriend shooting you. Women are more likely to use poisons then resort to a violent murder.

LegumeOfTerror
10-04-2008, 11:56 AM
the girls i take shooting often do better than the guys because they are better listeners. they come in with a "i have no idea whats going on so I'm going to do what he says" attitude, where most of the guys i try and teach act like they know what they are doing, and keep making the same mistakes over and over.