PDA

View Full Version : After 12yrs, I'm leaving the AGD family: An SFL's Story

PsychoBaller
10-01-2008, 10:52 PM
This decision has been on my mind for a long time, but it's finally time to say adieu. I said I'd never sell her, but times have changed... I have changed. Expressing the below won't be short and simple, as it isn't by any means :( .

I've never had a lot of extra $, no more than 4-5 Markers at any one time, not a "marker-whore", and like to keep my collection efficient. If a marker was/is not getting used on a regular basis, it's purged. Surely, if life wasn't as difficult as it is right now, and I had unlimited $, the SFL would never leave my side. There's unfortunately no room for me to keep a paintball marker purely based on sentimental value alone these days. Thus, my SFL E-Mag has been SOLD. A phenomenal shooter, she will be missed dearly.

Got my first Mag in 96', a Classic, then upgraded to a RT Original in 98'. Had a bunch of other markers too, but sold/traded off those two by 02', when I somehow, and luckily, got a hold of the Red SFL E-Mag. She's been my main marker ever since, through the years on 2 all-Mag Tournament Teams, Collegiate level play, to the current Scenario scene.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/811/Ballers_SFL_E-Mag.jpg
SFL E-Mag Gallery (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11985)

I'm one of if not the last original SFL owner's, or at the least, owned an SFL longer than just about any AO'er to date. Being an X-Mag proto-type however, the SFL was plagued with problems at the start of our relationship, unbeknownst to many. When she went down yrs ago at the AO MegaMeet, even Tom Kaye himself didn't know what was wrong with her. Should have worked after replacing everything internally, she just didn't. Good news is that we did eventually diagnose/fix all issues, and since 05', she's been running smoothly at 100%.

Regardless of the initial hiccups, how much I've enjoyed her looks, feel, rarity, and the prestige she's brought... there were always a couple things I secretly disliked, and was jealous of other markers for. Things such as air efficiency, weight, batteries/life/weight, recoil, "chuffing", some other stuff, weighed on my thoughts.

The SFL took a backseat this year, even getting dusty at times after months of non-use. At the start of 08', I picked up what now is my main marker, and ridiculously new favorite, an 04' AKA Viking - AKA DC Viking #1 (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13935). I spent the last 6months having a 2nd one fully done up - AKA DC Viking #2 (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/16420). Having tried and owned many other electros, I do find it slightly odd that another rare-ish marker replaced the SFL; not as rare, but where the company ceased production yrs ago. Glad it was an AKA though.

Don't bother pm'ing me regarding selling the SFL to you. There will be be NO sale thread / NO ebay auction, as the SFL is already spoken for and will be changing hands this weekend. If he who is acquiring her would like to speak up, he will do so. Many know of him, and I consider him to be one of the most upstanding members in the Paintball Community today, at least that I know of.

Though I was roughly the 200th member to join AO, even before AGD bought this forum, I don't post here as much as I used to... and while it has definitely changed quite a bit from the old days, I will still stop by to see & say what's up.

So that's it... see ya'll when I see ya.

-baller

Sled
10-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Can we see a picture of the ex? (the sfl :D )

Smoothice
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
adios.

I think you stopped posting long before I even joined. I know I have seen a few posts here and there over the last few years.

I certainly respect your decision. Something as rare as an SFL should not take the back seat especially when you honestly have no need or use for it anymore.

I hope who ever the lucky person is that is obtaining the SFL will use it. I have no problem with those who hoard these rare markers but I would love to see someone using it as you used to use it. As their primary marker.

Hope to see you around on the boards and I'm glad you are still going to be playing paintball.

:cheers:

mostpeople
10-01-2008, 11:14 PM
:rofl:

the SFL mafia gotta love it.

mr doo doo
10-01-2008, 11:47 PM
you and the gun will be missed PsychoBaller. dont be a stranger on the forums though :cry:

Hilltop Customs
10-02-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm trying to think of something to say, but the only thing that comes to mind is: I'm glad you got to enjoy the SFL for as long as you did....and sorry you had to let it go :(

Ruler_Mark
10-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Welcome to the AKA hoe club. Please enter your AGD whore club card to the shredder.

Thotograph
10-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeap... I shoulda never sold you that Viking... my god look at what I've started :eek:

J/k at least now you can feel at peace. Any plans for another AKA pickup?

Rudz
10-02-2008, 01:51 AM
gee i wonder who got the sfl :rolleyes: i have a few ideas... :ninja:

bunny5
10-02-2008, 06:12 AM
PsychoBaller: Great write-up! Sorry to see this beauty leave your possession. I hope you had a great time shooting it!! I guess i'll go ahead and update the SFL Thread v3 :(

BigEvil
10-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Psychoballer

Warwitch
10-02-2008, 07:13 AM
I have to admit, its tough chosing between the mistresses of AGD and AKA. :cry:

bunny5
10-02-2008, 07:34 AM
*tear*
http://www.xmagworld.com/slideshow/slide_001.jpg

BigEvil
10-02-2008, 10:07 AM

...and they are wrong :ninja:

snoopay700
10-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Psychoballer
QFT

crewbe
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Chris,

how u been man. sorry to see you selling your baby.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
10-03-2008, 01:58 AM
Sadly sound's just like me, I've had my RT pro(for >9 years?), or whats left of it (valve) because I replaced everything on it and made it a pmag, and since gone to AKA also and have an 03 Viking.

Spider-TW
10-03-2008, 07:49 AM
*tear*
There's no paint oozing out of the barrel porting; he must not be professional. :p

FreakBaller12
10-03-2008, 03:59 PM
hmmm now which AO*NJer is it going to?
BigEvil definitly knows and should probably let the answer *slip*

Steelrat
10-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeap... I shoulda never sold you that Viking... my god look at what I've started :eek:

He should get an 04 excal to try out. Some people who like vikings end up LOVING excaliburs.

bunny5
10-03-2008, 05:59 PM
The "SFL Mafia" Salutes you..... hope you enjoy the fishes..... :p
http://www.pbpixels.com/images/sflmafia2.png

Smoothice
10-03-2008, 06:06 PM
:hail:

snoopay700
10-03-2008, 07:42 PM
[IMG]http://www.pbpixels.com/images/sflmafia2.png
:rofl:

BigEvil
10-03-2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.pbpixels.com/images/sflmafia2.png

AWESOME :hail:

Not to change the subject, but I bet there is someone out there tonight who might want this...

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s338/BigEvilOnline/Tech%20stuff/IMG_0650.jpg

Swiss Cheeze
10-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah I would but it wouldn't look so good on my plain x-mag.

Didn't really look at the sfl that close until you posted that. How come it's not on the marker?

Rudz
10-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah I would but it wouldn't look so good on my plain x-mag.

Didn't really look at the sfl that close until you posted that. How come it's not on the marker?

it will bon an sfl soon enough

PsychoBaller
10-03-2008, 11:52 PM
BigEvil: Assuming you got it off Tuna, and that is my old original Vert Breech, I must warn you that it is cursed. Dunno exactly what it was about it, but the SFL never fully shot right with it, chopping, etc. ShockTech may have screwed up the inner dimensions or some such, but it also led to not 1, but 2 Bolts mushrooming at the tip. The first time, we literally had to cut the bolt in half while it was still in the SFL, in order to remove it. After swapping that breech with an X-Mag Vert Module, everything was fine for another year or so. Then it happened a second time just not as bad, but we still had to polished down the front tip o the bolt in order to remove it. Such problems were assisted in being caused by a faulty silver ring in the breech, that had a ridge/bump/bur eventually grow on it (SFL cancer? :rolleyes: ). Tuna then polished up that ring a bit too, and things were fine again.

I would NOT recommend using that Vert Module, it is cursed, and such the reason it's not with the SFL now.

-baller

Rudz
10-04-2008, 12:00 AM
BigEvil: Assuming you got it off Tuna, and that is my old original Vert Breech, I must warn you that it is cursed. Dunno exactly what it was about it, but the SFL never fully shot right with it, chopping, etc. ShockTech may have screwed up the inner dimensions or some such, but it also led to not 1, but 2 Bolts mushrooming at the tip. The first time, we literally had to cut the bolt in half while it was still in the SFL, in order to remove it. After swapping that breech with an X-Mag Vert Module, everything was fine for another year or so. Then it happened a second time just not as bad, but we still had to polished down the front tip o the bolt in order to remove it. Such problems were assisted in being caused by a faulty silver ring in the breech, that had a ridge/bump/bur eventually grow on it (SFL cancer? :rolleyes: ). Tuna then polished up that ring a bit too, and things were fine again.

I would NOT recommend using that Vert Module, it is cursed, and such the reason it's not with the SFL now.

-baller

dpnt worry i know magic :headbang:

PsychoBaller
10-04-2008, 12:14 AM
I guess everyone can blame you then ;) . Just finished my 2nd Viking project, but I think that should do it for Vikings. I don't really like any other style other than the standard DC milling.... just sooo smooth :D. Currently have a couple non-AKA projects in the werkz though.

I have to admit, its tough choosing between the mistresses of AGD and AKA. :cry:
Sooooo Tru. AKA does rule :)

Chris, how u been man. sorry to see you selling your baby.
Yooo, long time meng. If you're still in Jers, you should try and roll with me and the Scenario Team I'm on these days - www.13thlegionnaires.com (shameless plug :D ).

*tear*
Wow, forgot bout that pic. IAO 05', Owners Group Division, playing on all-Mag Team AFTICA. Anyone notice I didn't know how to shoot righty at the time :rolleyes: (i'm an endangered species... ie: a lefty :D)

-baller

Rudz
10-04-2008, 12:16 AM
well balleri know you let the SFL go to a good home, and i hope the new owner loves it as much as you did

PsychoBaller
10-04-2008, 12:28 AM
...and they are wrong :ninja:
I'm not gonna steal the guy's thunder til he feels like showing her off. But I will say out of anyone I know ballin' today, he is definitely one of the most deserving stand-up ballers. Also, he does NOT already own a SFL.

BigEvil
10-04-2008, 05:35 AM

-baller

..already fixed ;) Hey, this is ME :rofl:

Rudz
10-04-2008, 08:29 AM
thanks daddy, now can i have my toy? please? :hail:

PsychoBaller
10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I think the new owner o my ol' SFL wants that Vert. Module back.

FlawleZ
10-08-2008, 03:43 PM
I can understand your parting. I had to do the same over a year ago with my Xmodded Karta Emag. Although not as rare, it was truly dear to me and is still sorely missed.

I'm sure the new owner will take the same pride and care for the SFL that you once did.

crewbe
10-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Yooo, long time meng. If you're still in Jers, you should try and roll with me and the Scenario Team I'm on these days - www.13thlegionnaires.com (shameless plug :D ).

-baller

ya man im still in dirty jerz been playing with the NJ Jesters for like 4 years now. i may have to take u up on that offer to play some scenarios after i get done rehabing my knee next year. tore my ACL at NEO a few months back. glad to still see ur ballin. u still talk to any one from the old RU team?

PsychoBaller
10-09-2008, 04:11 PM
ya man im still in dirty jerz been playing with the NJ Jesters for like 4 years now. i may have to take u up on that offer to play some scenarios after i get done rehabing my knee next year. tore my ACL at NEO a few months back. glad to still see ur ballin. u still talk to any one from the old RU team?
Jesters aye, thas chill. Dang, lots o ballers with knee problems these days, crappy.

I Temporarily stopped playing in 05', and lost track/didn't keep in touch with the RU squads. Stopped playing Tourney then too though, after all the BlackCell falling apart stuff. Picked up Scenario summer 05', haven't stopped :D

drewkroeker
10-10-2008, 08:41 PM
There may be guns that are more air-efficient, lighter, and shoot faster...but I will be an AGD owner for life! I do commend you for making the hard choice to sell such a beauty. Something like that needs to be more than just a show piece.

But for someone who has shot a mag for so long to choose a different gun...I am getting the itch just to shoot an AKA gun just to see the difference for myself.

Cheers

Drew

gibby
10-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I feel ya! That is definitely a nice SFL but you did it justice by making sure you traded her in for another quality marker. I know I don't have any regrets trading my Karta Emag for an 04 DC Viking too.

Welcome to the family. :cheers: