PDA

View Full Version : Car question...

Papa_Smurf
10-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I have my reliable, daily driver, but I'd like to get something to tool around on the weekend without having to wrap up the project by monday so I can drive it for the week.

I want to pick up pony/muscle car, but nothing in great shape. Numbers matching and no rust aren't concerns of mine. I just want something that has some power and is fun to drive and mess around with.

I've been looking at older camaros, firebirds, and stuff like that. I'm a GM guy, but I am willing to try something new.

What do you guys suggest?

MANN
10-02-2008, 08:00 PM
What do you guys suggest?

you can pick up early 80s corvettes in good shape for ~ 10-15k. They are easy/cheap to work on, and have more power than you will need.

snoopay700
10-02-2008, 08:17 PM
VW beetle, put a hemi in it, and watch the looks you get. :rofl:

Nah, seriously i'm with Mann

Papa_Smurf
10-02-2008, 08:21 PM
I was leaning towards a ratty old camaro with an aftermarket engine that somebody started and didn't finish. And you could land that for what? 2-7K?

GRimm
10-02-2008, 08:50 PM
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/854706816.html

Hope this will give you a good idea on price range, since your looking for a old ratty one for a project 2-7k will put you in a nice range to choose from.

punkncat
10-02-2008, 09:00 PM
There are a lot of fun projects out there that are a bit less mainstream.

There were a couple of year Monza's that came with a V8.

Cosworth Vega is a fast little ride if you can find one.

Granny's Speed Shop has all the parts you need to retrofit a GM V8 into a 2nd gen RX7. Those are VERY fun to drive.

Chevy luv or S-10 V8 conversions are lots of fun as well.

If you wanted to go Ford, there is a Boss version of the Ranger with a 351 in it....

TeamBob
10-02-2008, 10:49 PM
J-E-E-P. cant go wrong there. or a nice early 90s Fox body Stang, mess with those 302s a little bit and that will give ya some horses to play with. And you can always drop a 347 stroker in there if you really want something to play with.

Lohman446
10-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Personally I would look at the 98 range Camaro / Firebird with the LS1 engine. They can easily be had in that price range, will be reasonably reliable, have good stock performance, and get 25MPG or so.

If I was going to go old the older Mustangs can be had (late 60s, early 70s) cheaper than the GMs. Pick up an old Mustang with the 6 in it and you can put most anything in it you want engine wise.