PDA

View Full Version : Orig. Rt w/lvl 10, Now not so Rt, why?

TeamBob
10-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Ok, So my dad has an Orig. AutoMag Rt with the Rt valve, he had a Level 10 installed at the IAO a few years ago and since then is doest do bounce like it did before. With the pressure turned up to 1000 or so, its just a hard trigger pull maybe with a very small amount of bounce, if your really trying for it. This is not a problem with him, b/c he did not really like the bounce anyways. I was just wondering why, or what would make it not bounce anymore. He has a Benchmark Dbl trigger on it as well, not that it would make a difference. Any info would be welcomed, thanks guys.

Spider-TW
10-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I think there are two main reasons for it. They both have to do with the fact that the level 10 bolt runs at about 50 psi higher pressure than the level 7 bolt, iirc. I think the electrician posted some actual measurements here or in the workshop forum.

The higher chamber pressure means that for the same velocity, a smaller volume of air (at chamber pressure) is expelled. This means that there is a higher residual pressure (and more air mass) left in the chamber when the bolt returns. With more air left in the chamber, there is less air (at chamber pressure) to add in. It's the new air that brings in the RT effect as it changes temperature across the regulator. So you get less effect because the air let in remains at a higher pressure and doesn't see as large a drop in pressure. The higher pressure also pushes the differential across the regulator down, so you're not getting quite as much RT effect on the air that is coming in to start with. It's the same mass of air you had before, but more of your RT energy is going out the barrel than before.

The other end of it all is that your balancing the sear and the bolt spring forces against the chamber pressure at the bolt face and at the on/off. You might try a different bolt spring to get a lighter trigger, which would help use the RT effect that you have. You may have to re-tune the level 10 carrier if it is tight. The force required to pull the trigger in the first place needs to be lighter than the total force you get back from the on/off on the sear. Make sure you lube the on/off whenever you take it out, you don't want to give up any RT effect to friction if you can avoid it.

TeamBob
10-07-2008, 09:48 AM
that makes complete sense, thank you very much. :cheers: