PDA

View Full Version : Gears Of War 2

Hilltop Customs
10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I know a few of you guys are gamers here on AO...just wondering if anyone else is waiting for GOW2? The horde mode looks AMAZING. If you dont know about it, its a team of 5 soldiers(over live) vs the locust horde(enemies) they basically just keep charging until the COGs(5 soldiers) are dead....its formed in levels of increasing difficulty that increase until it is basically impossible. I am so looking forward to trying this out next month!

about horde mode:
http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=6313

Some multi-player videos:
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/10/06/gears-2-multiplayer-footage-leaked-online/

Youtube has alot more...

michbich
10-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Will it also be for the PC? I'm not an online fan, but love a good campaign mode.
:shooting:

LegumeOfTerror
10-07-2008, 09:26 PM
i never much liked the first game, so I'm not all that excited.

Hilltop Customs
10-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Will it also be for the PC? I'm not an online fan, but love a good campaign mode.
:shooting:

I think they said it was going to be xbox exclusive....but who knows, it seems like there are a lot of games that are xbox exclusive going to PC

LegumeOfTerror: :( I thought the GOW campaign was one of the better FPS campaigns...right up there with COD4's. To each their own though, any games your interested in?

michbich
10-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Have you guys tried unreal tournement 3? Quality wise, it's up there with COD4. But IMO more addictive.

Hilltop Customs
10-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I had UT3 for a couple weeks, the campaign was alright, I liked the game, just had to send it back to gamefly :( only downfall I had was none of my friends have the game, so it wasnt much fun playing online. Overall it would be right up there with cod4, it seemed like a great game, wish I had kept it longer.

One game that I never thought I would like, that I actually really enjoyed was Devil May Cry 4 :eek: I finished the campaign 2 times(advancing hardness) and I'd probably play it again if I still had it....it was addictive.

TwilightG
10-08-2008, 06:46 AM
I'm pretty amped for GOW2! :headbang:
Although I'm not really into multiplayer too much (which is what the game is heavily designed for) I found the first campaign to be pretty good, except a bit short.
GOW2 supposedly promises a better in-depth story (apparently a character dies! :eek: ) and longer than the first one.
Playing the first GOW campaign in co-op was pretty sweet and hopefully GOW2 will support 4-player-coop :D

Hilltop Customs
10-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I agree the first campaign left me wanting to play more of it....also I thought the bosses were a little easy....Ramm was about perfect, but the big creaper(I cant think of the name big spider looking thing that you had to shoot between the legs to hit the body/face) was just too easy, even 1 player can destroy him easily on the hardest setting. 4 player coop would be sick(I dont reading if that is included or not).

Anyway xbox360fanboy.com (www.xbox360fanboy.com) is updated all the time with new tibits about all kinds of games for the 360, since I posted this thread there has been even more GOW2 info added.

Hilltop Customs
10-08-2008, 09:41 PM
heres another video, hope it works:

<object width="440" height="361">
<param name="movie" value="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3632225"/>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/>
<embed src="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3632225" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowScriptAccess="always" width="440" height="361"></embed>
</object>

Hilltop Customs
10-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh BTW just found out joystiq.com posted New Xbox Experience coming Nov. 19 came straight from the Microsoft press briefing :D the new dashboard finally has a release date....cant wait to get rid of this piece of garbage interface(thought it was horrible since the day it was implemented) :headbang:

multi-person chat (finally)
netflix
avatars (dont really care about this one, but it might be good)
better looking and seemingly better interface (I hope the made the menus faster, I hate using the xbox guide while in and online game, its painfully slow)
hard drive game disc storage....no more loud dvd drive spinning while playing :clap:
theres more, but nothings popping in my head at the moment

turbo chicken
10-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I had UT3 for a couple weeks, the campaign was alright, I liked the game, just had to send it back to gamefly :( only downfall I had was none of my friends have the game, so it wasnt much fun playing online. Overall it would be right up there with cod4, it seemed like a great game, wish I had kept it longer.

Same here...

Kind of waiting for GOW2 for the simple fact the coop campaign mode is cool... and i get to play it with my wife. :D ...

michbich
10-09-2008, 04:34 PM
My laptop better be able to run GOW2 if it knows what's best for its health. I've never played online games, but can't wait to try the campaign.

WUNDERWAFFEN
10-10-2008, 01:05 AM
I have to recommend any of the battlefield series for shooter fans. Especially Battlefield: Bad Company, with the series standard of large battlefields and vehicles and now semi-destructible environments. If you can remember the star wars battlefront games they were based off the battlefield series.

Gears of Wars 2 looks fantastic. The first one was really the only video game that kind of reminded me of playing paintball. But there are a lot of good games coming out very soon all before the holidays: Far Cry 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Call of Duty: World at War, Tom Clancy’s: End War, Mirror's Edge, Left for Dead and Gears 2.

TwilightG
10-10-2008, 06:06 AM
The first one was really the only video game that kind of reminded me of playing paintball.

It's funny that you mention that ;) If you still have the game, read the introduction on the first or second page of the manual. The shooting style of the game (taking cover and snap shooting) are all heavily inspired by paintball! :D

Hilltop Customs
10-10-2008, 10:24 AM
WUNDERWAFFEN: nice list, I want to try almost all of those...

gibby
10-11-2008, 11:03 AM
For now, GoW2 isn't planned for the PC. CliffyB(lead designer) said it's due to piracy. But who knows...the game companies are always changing their minds.

Hilltop Customs
10-11-2008, 11:20 AM
It's funny that you mention that ;) If you still have the game, read the introduction on the first or second page of the manual. The shooting style of the game (taking cover and snap shooting) are all heavily inspired by paintball! :D

"I played a game of paintball a while back. While crouched in the woods with high-powered spheres splattering above my head, I had a hint of what it might be to be in an actual firefight. I found the experience rather...painful

Pherhaps it was then I thought about how most shooters play. They're not like real firefights. Circle strafing, jumping around -- these elements have felt alien to me for the last few years. For example, take the use of cover. Before we started Gears Of War, we saw other games with cover in them. Our question was, "How are we going to make hiding behind a wall interesting?" Answer: "Make it real.""

fire1811
10-11-2008, 11:22 AM
I have it preordered and cant wait for 11-7. I also have been playing the hell out of the COD World at War beta and that is a definite buy IMO also.

Hilltop Customs
10-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I didnt realize the beta was out already for that, any way to get in now?

fire1811
10-11-2008, 11:27 AM
I didnt realize the beta was out already for that, any way to get in now?

Came out yesterday at about 5pm CT. You get it by preordering at Gamestop. I like it better than COD 4 already. But I love WW2 games.

Hilltop Customs
10-11-2008, 12:12 PM
oh, that sucks, I buy all my game stuff at circuit city with their gamers club. Getting 10% new release games and stacking discounts when sales are on is great. Have to just wait this one out.

WUNDERWAFFEN
10-15-2008, 11:49 PM
I just got my beta key today but was away for the weekend. I did not know about it at all until getting the email. I missed the Call of Duty 4 beta but have been registered on their cod website since that is how I received my invitation.

Hilltop Customs
10-16-2008, 12:06 AM
just got mine today too......all you have to do is register @ www.callofduty.com

I had my code a day after I registered.

Played it for a couple rounds....just a reskin of cod4...but the maps are more 3d(MUCH more height variation....even on flat maps you can climb up on buildings)

IDK if I'll get it or not yet though. Have to play it some more.

michbich
10-18-2008, 09:47 PM

One game that I never thought I would like, that I actually really enjoyed was Devil May Cry 4 :eek: I finished the campaign 2 times(advancing hardness) and I'd probably play it again if I still had it....it was addictive.
I just had to get DMC4 to see how it is. So far it's pretty good. The bigges complaint I have is that it's keyboard only. It's a little confusing at first. I will have to get a decent gamepad one day.

Hilltop Customs
10-18-2008, 10:15 PM
I just had to get DMC4 to see how it is. So far it's pretty good. The bigges complaint I have is that it's keyboard only. It's a little confusing at first. I will have to get a decent gamepad one day.

get a old xbox controller and a unused usb device....cut the two wires, match the colors and solder.

then download some software, install, calibrate

after that you have about the best gamepad you could ever want. And the great thing is, you can probably pick up a used xbox controller off someone for like 5 bucks.

edit heres a link to the driver:
http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html

michbich
10-18-2008, 11:20 PM
get a old xbox controller and a unused usb device....cut the two wires, match the colors and solder.

then download some software, install, calibrate

after that you have about the best gamepad you could ever want. And the great thing is, you can probably pick up a used xbox controller off someone for like 5 bucks.

edit heres a link to the driver:
http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html
wow, I didn't know this was possible. I will have to check with the girlfriend if she still uses my xbox, if not, i will try it out.

Hilltop Customs
10-18-2008, 11:28 PM
wow, I didn't know this was possible. I will have to check with the girlfriend if she still uses my xbox, if not, i will try it out.

You can still use it for both if you buy another dongle(the little removable piece right be4 the xbox) and just cut that and solder it to the usb cable.(effectively making a USB dongle)

HOBBLES
11-01-2008, 08:50 PM
man im all over this launch day love my shooters, halo and rainbow gettn over played latly and all the trailers and game play seen so far look awsome cant wait to get my first alien shield

Hilltop Customs
11-01-2008, 08:59 PM
for your viewing enjoyment.....heres a little taste of gears 2 multiplayer.....I cant wait to try the 5vs5, I think it will have a big effect.
<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14232680&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/925/925762/Gears2MapMontage_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

p8ntbal4me
11-04-2008, 06:36 PM
I play COD4 on an XBOX360 using a PC.

I get guys that tell me all the time Im hacking or cheating.

All I can say is,.... if your not playing with a mouse and keyboard,.... your making life harder on urself.

The BEST thing about Consol games is there is almost ZERO cheating,..... I used to play PC shooters all the time,.... but the cheating was way out of hand.

~ P8nt

Empyreal Rogue
11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
I'll just wait for the real game to come out, Warhammer 40,000.

Oh wait...

MrBlack
11-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Oh yea I already bought my copy... just waiting for it to come out ... Friday is so far away!

sandfreestyle
11-06-2008, 03:53 PM
I know who did the artwork for the game cover and posters. He is a fellow AO'er. (you didn't hear from me. :ninja: )

trigger090
11-06-2008, 04:01 PM
ive heard end war is amazing!!! my friends just bought it and cant shut up about it.

Hilltop Customs
11-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I couldnt get used to the demo of endwar.....havent played an RTS in so long that it felt wierd.(especially being on a console)