PDA

View Full Version : critique my website

thecavemankevin
10-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey guys, i just completely rebuilt my website for my small computer repair business. I'd appreciate your opinions and if it is missing anything that you may look for if you were looking for a computer repair tech.

I built it using word press mostly for ease of use. I will be starting a very basic blog on it soon. I am also thinking about installing a simple forum too. Any recommendations? Free is a plus.

It's about 80-90% finished and it is fairly simple at this point.

Just let me know your thoughts.

Thanks guys

thecompu-doctor.com (http://www.thecompu-doctor.com)

Hilltop Customs
10-11-2008, 02:59 PM
It looks good, watch out for using too much text on a single page....people will be less likely to read it(PC & laptop services) Might want to have links with a few word description then a long description in the link....the link would also give you room to give lots of examples of services offered, increasing customer knowledge of what you offer.

The "us vs geeks" page you bang on them pretty hard....IDK the video just seems extreme, also the video might end up making people afraid of home service in general.

I really like the simple navigation, straightforward, easy to understand, hard to get lost. Looks good to me.

Ruler_Mark
10-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Looks like a 13 year old made it, alot of the images are choppy and miss placed. Using blog software to drive a service geared site is a no no.

Hilltop Customs
10-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Using blog software to drive a service geared site is a no no.

never knew that, but then again I know nothing bout webpages other than how to use them :) (made one back in the day with simple html, but dont remember anything from it)

questionful
10-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Have you seen your page in firefox?

thecavemankevin
10-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Have you seen your page in firefox?

thats pretty much all i use, so yes.

thecavemankevin
10-11-2008, 10:58 PM
It looks good, watch out for using too much text on a single page....people will be less likely to read it(PC & laptop services) Might want to have links with a few word description then a long description in the link....the link would also give you room to give lots of examples of services offered, increasing customer knowledge of what you offer.

The "us vs geeks" page you bang on them pretty hard....IDK the video just seems extreme, also the video might end up making people afraid of home service in general.

I really like the simple navigation, straightforward, easy to understand, hard to get lost. Looks good to me.

yeah, i was thinking that about the links on the services page idea

Thanks for the advice on the video, i may take it down

robnix
10-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Hey guys, i just completely rebuilt my website for my small computer repair business. I'd appreciate your opinions and if it is missing anything that you may look for if you were looking for a computer repair tech.

I built it using word press mostly for ease of use. I will be starting a very basic blog on it soon. I am also thinking about installing a simple forum too. Any recommendations? Free is a plus.

It's about 80-90% finished and it is fairly simple at this point.

Just let me know your thoughts.

Thanks guys

thecompu-doctor.com (http://www.thecompu-doctor.com)
Get rid of the flash animation with the cheezy clipart and the stock photos. Put yourselves on there instead.

thecavemankevin
10-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Looks like a 13 year old made it, alot of the images are choppy and miss placed. Using blog software to drive a service geared site is a no no.

well, i'm a computer repair person, not a web designer. Just don't have time to try and learn html/xml etc.. right now. I like wordpress because it is very easy to update and edit, add content, and change the themes and thus change the entire feel of the site.

do you know of anything like that that isn't a blogging software?

robnix
10-11-2008, 11:11 PM
well, i'm a computer repair person, not a web designer. Just don't have time to try and learn html/xml etc.. right now. I like wordpress because it is very easy to update and edit, add content, and change the themes and thus change the entire feel of the site.

do you know of anything like that that isn't a blogging software?
There are WYSIWYG editors that will help you out.

and get rid of this whole page:

http://thecompu-doctor.com/?page_id=117

Offering discounts for a good review is simply unprofessional.