PDA

View Full Version : I think I have ADD

Hilltop Customs
10-15-2008, 11:17 PM
yea....when I'm trying to do boring, monotonous, repetitive homework I end up posting on AO a lot. Quick doctor, I need some Ritalin.

I probably accumulated around 30 posts tonight alone while reading this paper.

This post is a perfect example of what I'm talking about :cool:

questionful
10-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I have something that I label as AD(H)D. So many genes control the brain, I guess I'm just an outlier, and I really can't do work. My whole life, since elementary school, I've had problems with homework. My grades went lower and lower in middle school, at the end of 9th grade I just stopped doing homework altogether, now my GPA is 1.42, even though I do really well on tests. My future looks like absolute ****, and though I know it is partly my fault, I believe the system sucks at taking the outlier into account. JKL;ASFKL;JADFSMK;LADFMKL;FK;LASF'KAF

"ADD" sucks.

Hilltop Customs
10-15-2008, 11:52 PM
if you dont mind answering.....if you enjoy what you are doing, can you concentrate on it?

I cant do work that I dont like, I simply put it off to the absolute last second and finally the realization that "if I dont do this I'm F'd" takes over. I mean absolute last second.....staying up all night, doing meaningless stuff until 3 in the morning and then finally starting the work(when I have class in @ 8 in the morning the following day). I'm not talking about a few simple problems either, 20+ page case study to read with a 3+ page summary/response/recommendations.

Like right now.....1am, have ~1 out of the 20 pages read. I start reading get ~2 sentences in, and I forget what I'm reading and think about something else. Cycle will repeat itself no matter how much I try to eliminate my distractions.

But, if its something I'm interested in I can absorb it like a sponge.

(i didnt mean for this thread to be demeaning to people with the condition....if anyone wants, I'll delete it, just pm me......the thread was to make fun of myself and get me to read this, but it hasnt helped)

maxama10
10-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Adderall here you come and then you can make a buck off all your friends too. Wait AO doesn't condone that kind of behavior nor do I :ninja:

Sorry I know its a serious thing but I was being quite serious actually, although it sounds like I'm making light of your situation.

-Max

maxama10
10-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Get reading your worthless bum I know you're smart you always post back good info to all of my threads. Could always get adderall though, Playboy had a good article on it but yeah tons of people take it but most are lazy who don't want to do work so they take addy and then it makes them want to so...

yeah goodluck and go do your homeowork even though I'm a hypocrite cause I entirely put off doing my math test tonight.

Hilltop Customs
10-16-2008, 12:01 AM
I know a ton of people who use that crap to get through college.....I've never touched it, no need to. Can stay up for a few days at a time if I choose to....been able to do it since I was a little kid. Probably really unhealthy....oh well.

edit: forgot to say thanks for the encouragement....even though you did call me a bum lol :)

Avianrave
10-16-2008, 08:37 AM
It can be seen as an advantage.

Think of it this way, your working memory is constantly filling up with new information. Try to spread your work into intervals of 5 or 10 min with some 5 or 10 min break. This will actually prevent you from cramming, and make studying much more meaningful. Every time you distract yourself, you have to relearn what you just did. The distraction purges all of the stuff your studying out of your working memory, so the material that you are working on will come from your long term memory. This will help build repetition, and the material will stick more then if you were just cramming.

So try to take your disadvantage, and turn it into an advantage.

BTW: If you already know what your doing and you just need to do your homework for effort, welcome aboard :argh: . Your ****ed.

Hilltop Customs
10-16-2008, 08:53 AM
BTW: If you already know what your doing and you just need to do your homework for effort, welcome aboard :argh: . Your ****ed.

So true. I failed a 4 credit class 3 times because I knew what I was doing and just didnt do the work for grades......my thoughts on this: I came to college to learn something not be graded. If I'm not learning, I dont care about what grades I get. If its an irrivelant class, once again why do I care.

Oh and another thing that bothers me, when a class goes so slow(or is filled with completely useless info) that there is no option but to distract yourself for sanitiy.

I swear the only thing I learned in some classes is more efficient ways of doing sudokus.(some classes being most classes....I do a lot of sudokus)

Avianrave
10-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I have the lowest homework grade in calc (**** you online homework :mad: ), yet one of the higher quiz grades, and 20 points above the average on the midterm :argh:

As for chem, I have one of the higher lab, quiz, and test grades, but a 0 on online homework because the damn website won't even let me sign in.

I thought they would stop testing for effort after high school, but I got proven wrong. It's way to typical right now, saying "alright, if you can't learn the material, I'll just give you a good grade for trying."

SCpoloRicker
10-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Public Service Announcement:

If you're not planning on going to graduate school, no one really cares about your grades in undergraduate work.

Now, if you are thinking about graduate work... then poor grades can and will come back and bite you in the rear end.

Hilltop Customs
10-16-2008, 04:50 PM
just say no....to more school. :)

yea, after I realized I wasnt going to go further with my education, my grades took a steep nosedive....especially when I realized how much BS unrelated material I was going to be paying for.

Sumthinwicked
10-16-2008, 04:54 PM
adhd and odd look it up and then put the 2 together it makes for fun LOL

michbich
10-16-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not as bad as you, but during exam periods, I find myself browsing AO and craigslist quite a bit.

Avianrave
10-16-2008, 05:26 PM
It strikes again!

I cannot study Chemistry and German at the same time, unless I can find a German Chemistry book. :argh:

Hilltop Customs
10-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Avianrave: missed your earlier post....I agree, when I came into college I thought it would be different(isnt that what they tell you in highschool? Thats what I was told) "high pressure, fast paced....blah blah blah" its slow paced with enough busy work you dont realize how little you are actually learning because your too busy spitting out BS to fill the requirements.

and then there is the arrogant professor who thinks they are too good to answer a simple question....the one who purposely uses wording to make students feel insignificant. This is they guy I feel like socking in the jaw...

I have fun when teacher evaluations come around....at first I was nice, now I'm honest....bad professors get horrible reviews, because it is what they deserve. It just sucks if you happen to have that same professor for 2 more classes the following semester...

michbich
10-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Avianrave: missed your earlier post....I agree, when I came into college I thought it would be different(isnt that what they tell you in highschool? Thats what I was told) "high pressure, fast paced....blah blah blah" its slow paced with enough busy work you dont realize how little you are actually learning because your too busy spitting out BS to fill the requirements.

and then there is the arrogant professor who thinks they are too good to answer a simple question....the one who purposely uses wording to make students feel insignificant. This is they guy I feel like socking in the jaw...

I have fun when teacher evaluations come around....at first I was nice, now I'm honest....bad professors get horrible reviews, because it is what they deserve. It just sucks if you happen to have that same professor for 2 more classes the following semester...
I'm in my third strait semester with a teacher. The good thing is, you know how they structure their exams.

maniacmechanic
10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
I can't believe no one has said it yet ;

I got AGD :D

michbich
10-16-2008, 07:21 PM

Wouldn'T it be called AGDD?

C_losjoker
10-16-2008, 07:25 PM
:rofl: yeah like you would have us believe that you read the articles in playboy. :rofl:

Get reading your worthless bum I know you're smart you always post back good info to all of my threads. Could always get adderall though, Playboy had a good article on it but yeah tons of people take it but most are lazy who don't want to do work so they take addy and then it makes them want to so...

yeah goodluck and go do your homeowork even though I'm a hypocrite cause I entirely put off doing my math test tonight.

NU_METAL
10-16-2008, 09:20 PM

now thats funny :rofl:
seriously thou ,i think i have this because if im not interested in some thing its like pulling teeth to get me to do it

teufelhunden
10-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Public Service Announcement:

If you're not planning on going to graduate school, no one really cares about your grades in undergraduate work.

Now, if you are thinking about graduate work... then poor grades can and will come back and bite you in the rear end.

To a degree. A 3.0 vs a 3.5, probably nobody cares. A 3.0 vs a 1.42, people are going to care. That's what, a C-? Maybe higher education isn't for you...

Hilltop Customs
10-17-2008, 01:12 AM
To a degree. A 3.0 vs a 3.5, probably nobody cares. A 3.0 vs a 1.42, people are going to care. That's what, a C-? Maybe higher education isn't for you...
I dont even really consider undergrad higher education....more like additional education required because our general education system sucks that bad. Over 50% of my undergrad courses are general eds....thats not higher education. Higher education should dedicated to your field of choice....not spread out over all kinds bs courses so you can finally choose your major after 2 years.(sorry undecideds, but I should not have to take the same classes as you if I have a direction I want to follow when entering college....hell I knew I wanted to go into engineering in 6th grade)

http://theburningbiscuit.com/Pictures%20for%20site/Demotivational%20Posters/Motivation%20-%20Office%20Space.jpg

Bob: You see, what we're actually trying to do here is, we're trying to get a feel for how people spend their day at college... so, if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?
Me: Yeah.
Bob: Great.
Me: Well, I generally come to class at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way the professors can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.
Bob #2: Da-uh? Space out?
Me: Yeah, I just stare at my desk or do a sudoku; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, class work.

But you know, Bob, grades will only make someone work just hard enough not to fail.

MoeMag
10-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Hey,
Im right there with you guys.

AO, myspace, facebook kill me anytime i turn on a computer to do something for school.

I hate that I have been a junior for 3 years. hopefully this is my last.

I have been at this 4 year engineering program for... well 4 years, but the part that sucks is that I had an associates degree walking into it. What good that was.

Now I know people who I consider little kids who are almost DONE with their "4" year degree.

yet here I am working on the same old sum of forces, free body diagrams, and :cuss: instructors who love to show you how smart they are, but dont care to share.

Hilltop Customs
10-17-2008, 01:57 AM
I avoid facebook and myspace, because I realized how big of a waste of time it is. Almost as bad as text messaging.....first we had the phone, a really efficient communication medium, and then we F'd it up with text messaging, and were willing to pay more to send lines of text typed out on a tiny awkward little keypad.....I really dont understand people.

I like coming on here because you get to hear opinions of people who you generally might not associate with because of different locations, different interests, different ages...whatever. People I associate with at school are boring and seem almost afraid to say what they think....on here you can just say just about anything you want as long as its not too political lol

BTW does anyone know if ADD/ADHD can lead to insomnia? I would think it would, if your mind constantly jumps around how would it ever be able to slow down for sleep.

Hilltop Customs
10-17-2008, 02:01 AM

I've had AGD for the past 13 years....dont think I will ever get rid of it :)

maxama10
10-17-2008, 09:18 PM
:rofl: yeah like you would have us believe that you read the articles in playboy. :rofl:

Hey I read that article.

LegumeOfTerror
10-18-2008, 12:29 AM
I avoid facebook and myspace, because I realized how big of a waste of time it is. Almost as bad as text messaging.....first we had the phone, a really efficient communication medium, and then we F'd it up with text messaging, and were willing to pay more to send lines of text typed out on a tiny awkward little keypad.....I really dont understand people.

I like coming on here because you get to hear opinions of people who you generally might not associate with because of different locations, different interests, different ages...whatever. People I associate with at school are boring and seem almost afraid to say what they think....on here you can just say just about anything you want as long as its not too political lol

BTW does anyone know if ADD/ADHD can lead to insomnia? I would think it would, if your mind constantly jumps around how would it ever be able to slow down for sleep.

even if I'm exhausted, it takes me a good hour to fall asleep. i just keep thinking about crap and running hypothetical scenarios and ideas through my head. i also like the episodes i have where i have nothing to do but homework, and i just sit in front of it and do nothing for a reason I'm still not sure of. i work best with music playing or in an environment with a lot of noise because it keeps my mind from wandering.

i also have fits of sleep paralysis, which is a whole other waste of time i have to deal with. :tard:

Hilltop Customs
10-18-2008, 01:56 AM
I can lay in bed for 4 hours and not fall asleep. Sometimes its my thoughts, othertimes I run out of things to think about and just stare at details of paint in the wall.

For homework, I have that same thing happen to me, but it never seems to happen when I'm under pressure. I agree music helps a lot, but I definitely cant study when someone is talking.....even in the next room.

Bob Marley is great to fall asleep to....worst thing ever is falling asleep to music, then then next song waking you up....has never happened with his music and you can just put on album after album.

just read a few lines on wiki about sleep paralysis, that would freak me out if it ever happened. I am just the opposite, I will shut off alarms in my sleep and not even realize it till I wake up 2 hours later.(alarms....I have 2 daily + a computer alarm for really important things) I would literally hit my moms arms away if she tried to nudge me to wake up.....still do that to the gf without even knowing.

michbich
10-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I put my alarm far from my bed, so i have to get up to turn it off. For important days, i also set-up my cell in the room beside mine.

Avianrave
10-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I also have fits of sleep paralysis, which is a whole other waste of time i have to deal with. :tard:

I've only had to dead with that twice so far, but it's not fun at all.

First time was the one that completely freaked the **** out of me.

Hilltop Customs
10-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I put my alarm far from my bed, so i have to get up to turn it off. For important days, i also set-up my cell in the room beside mine.

oh yea, me too....mine is a good 6 feet from my bed. I still shut it off without ever knowing. :(

LegumeOfTerror
10-19-2008, 12:15 AM
I've only had to dead with that twice so far, but it's not fun at all.

First time was the one that completely freaked the **** out of me.

its down right scary the first time it happens and you don't know what it is. i immediately went looking for a medical explanation, though some people it seems assume they were abducted by aliens, which of course is the logical conclusion anyone would come to...

i remember having it happen the middle of class in high school and it felt like i was flailing around like an idiot. i always thought to myself "i hope that's not actually happening!"

Avianrave
10-19-2008, 01:43 AM
its down right scary the first time it happens and you don't know what it is. i immediately went looking for a medical explanation, though some people it seems assume they were abducted by aliens, which of course is the logical conclusion anyone would come to...

i remember having it happen the middle of class in high school and it felt like i was flailing around like an idiot. i always thought to myself "i hope that's not actually happening!"

I'm talking about being waken from a nightmare where you can't move a muscle, speak, just breathe because you do that anyways. You just lie there wondering if your still alive.

LegumeOfTerror
10-19-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm talking about being waken from a nightmare where you can't move a muscle, speak, just breathe because you do that anyways. You just lie there wondering if your still alive.

yeah, that happens most of the time. other times i feel sensations that are not real, like that I'm moving or being moved by someone, and sometimes it just feels like immense pressure is holding me down.

trevorjk
10-19-2008, 09:04 PM
look into parasomnias

keep a sleep journal ;)

and hope your not abusive in your sleep :(

sleep/dream journals help, and if your artistic, can make great short stories or plots for movies :ninja:

Hilltop Customs
10-19-2008, 09:22 PM
funny you mention dreams.....I only remember dreams on 2 distinct occasions: If I'm violently and immediately aroused from sleep....or on the rare occasion I can sleep 14 hours+. Other than that I either dont dream, or I cant remember a single detail....I cant tell you which one though.

When I was a kid I used to sleep walk...throughout the house, opening doors, going outside, in the rain....and not even realize it. Luckly, its not that bad anymore. Dont sleepwalk anymore, but I will have simple conversations without waking up(usually making excuses to stay asleep)

Hilltop Customs
10-20-2008, 01:03 AM
wohooo, cant sleep again.....roomates are watching tv....when I close my eyes I cant help but listen. Its barely audible, but I cant help but focus on it. :(

I'm so tempted to get some sleeping pills, but I've always been against using medication for purposes that have simple solutions....for example, killing my roomates would solve this situation :rofl: J/K....or am I :tard: MAHAHAHA you will never know :ninja:

snoopay700
10-20-2008, 11:19 AM
yea....when I'm trying to do boring, monotonous, repetitive homework I end up posting on AO a lot. Quick doctor, I need some Ritalin.

I probably accumulated around 30 posts tonight alone while reading this paper.

This post is a perfect example of what I'm talking about :cool:
I do the same thing, but i stopped posting here for that exact reason, and instead started posting on car forums and ended up arguing with people there, then youtube also distracted me, and girls, i probably have add too or something, but then i look at my friend who was actually diagnosed with it and realize i'm just lazy haha.

Hilltop Customs
10-20-2008, 04:31 PM
I do the same thing, but i stopped posting here for that exact reason, and instead started posting on car forums and ended up arguing with people there, then youtube also distracted me, and girls, i probably have add too or something, but then i look at my friend who was actually diagnosed with it and realize i'm just lazy haha.

car forums are nothing but "mine is better than yours" bs. Thats why I had a minitruck, a lot more love and a lot less hate with minitruckers than there are with cars enthusiasts from my experience. To me, most car forums=PBN, s10forum.com = AO.....its all about respect and maturity.