PDA

View Full Version : That "random speedball marker"

Hook
10-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Yesterday was our homefield's annual Halloween Havoc big game. Weather was perfect and attendance was roughly about 100 players. There was about a dozen mag owners on the field as well, which is a pretty common thing on our homefield, considering the owner and the staff are mostly old timers with several mags.

Anyway, This guy with an RT-equipped A5 was complaining about the amount of people on the field with speedball markers.

Pointing my Tac-One, the guy says "Back on MY homefield, people show up with real guns, they all play with A5's. Not random-a** speedball markers like yours"

Oh no he didn't! So naturally, I go about explaining the whole AGD sales pitch, how the Classic 68 was a common rental marker long before the Tippman 98 came along, how durable and reliable they are, how the Tac-One isn't a speedball marker, showing him the picatinny rails and machinegun shroud on mine.

"I see a double trigger, I call it a speedball marker". Sigh. I gave up, the guy was a lost cause.

Well, I guess you can't win 'em all. :rolleyes: :rofl:

BigEvil
10-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Did you at least get to shoot him? :D

Hook
10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Sadly, no. He was on our team :(

xero28
10-20-2008, 09:52 AM
How does a double trigger make a speedball marker? :tard: I've played speedball with a single trigger, I've played woodsball with a double trigger. I've seen speedball played with pumps. You're right, this guy makes no sense at all. If a speedball gun is simply one that can shoot at a high ROF, what's he complaining about with his RT trigger, isn't that just a mod to make your "woodsball" gun faster?

behemoth
10-20-2008, 10:12 AM

I would have anyhow.

In the back of the head.

guseppe16
10-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Yes, I would have shot him in the butt. "Geez, these electro triggers are touchy!"

Hook
10-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, I would have shot him in the butt. "Geez, these electro triggers are touchy!"

:rofl:

I'll admit, that would have been funny!

VVulfe
10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Pointing my Tac-One, the guy says "Back on MY homefield, people show up with real guns, they all play with A5's. Not random-a** speedball markers like yours"

...sigh.

Woodsball has it's "agglets" too. Same attitude, different gear obsessions. :(

mostpeople
10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Did you tell him to get the double trigger for the A-5 so he'd be ok? :rofl:

snoopay700
10-20-2008, 11:32 AM
A marker's a marker. No such thing as a woodsball marker or speedball marker. I'm sure you can play effectively on the opposite field with either marker, i never got why people complained so much. Actually i'd rather have a "speedball" marker for woodsball than speedball so i can react fast with a lot of paint if need be because i'm more likely to be surprised, and lately i've been playing speedball with a pump.
[/rant]

But yeah, most fields were using pro ams and pro-lites for rentals too, no clue when either came out so i don't know if they were used before mags.

GoatBoy
10-20-2008, 01:40 PM
"Let me guess. On your home field, you guys probably play 'gun hits don't count' so you can get away with playing with a 3 foot long piece of garbage. It's a good thing we're not at your home field. Say, why aren't you at your home field right now, anyways?"

...sigh.

Ding ding ding!

This is why I've lost as much respect for the woods/milsim players as I've lost for tournament players.

Dend78
10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
bahah a speedball gun, a double trigger and a straight barrel make it a speedball gun hahaha, yeah im pretty sure you should have just shot him, oops sorry man i was layin down a crazy sick line of fire then that fly A5 caught my eye and i forgot to let off, is that an RT on there? :rofl:

warbeak2099
10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
There are fanbois and band wagoners anywhere you go. Agglets would jump off a cliff if HK said it was cool, and milsim nooblets would buy a 30ft barrel if Spec Ops said it would work well and designed a position around that one product. They could call it the "Penetrator" lol. Kind of like "Dagger" but even better!

MAGnetism
10-20-2008, 02:38 PM

Friendly fire, hey accidents happen.

Watcher
10-20-2008, 02:54 PM
I'll agree to a degree that there are speedball and woodsball markers. An A-5, having the high profile cyclone feed, is quite impracticle on the air-ball field, even if it does have an electronics and double trigger package...

In the same respect, using a PLanetEclipse Ego in bright white and red and ramping constantly has a harder time in the woods save for a backman or "heavy gunner". In my expeirence woods games are slower paced and the shots are less frequent and at a much lower rate of fire...

However, a paintball gun is a paintball gun.

I currently have 4: a Tippmann 98 modified for Mil-sim, a PMI Trracer I can set-up for VSC, an AutomagRT with warp, and a Delta .68 pistol. I use all of those for everything.
It is difficult but I'll play x-ball with my 34" long, cyclone fed mil-sim 98.
I'll play speedball with my pistol in addition to using it on my thigh in scenarios.
I'll play anything with my pump, and the same in VSC if I feel up for it.
My 'Mag is small enough to own on a speedball field, and tough enough to hold up on the longest scenario.

I don't have a speedball gun and a woodsball gun and a side-arm and a pump gun, I have 4 paintball guns...

Thats the thing I hate in paintball, people who are intolerant of others (and yes, that can be a hipocratic statement). Woodsballers and the scenario crowd can't see the modern form of the game for it's own challenges and equipment, same as the modern AGG kid cannot see or respect paintball's woods oriented CTF roots.

It's like going to a steak place and only ordering the porterhouse. Sure they are known for steak, but they sure do have good burgers, chicken, ribs, etc...

I play paintball, I don't play woodsball/scenarioball/speedball/x-ball/pump...

Rudz
10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
we have no problem shooting our own teamates, in the back, leg, foot, butt, lol off the break, during the game, after the game... :rofl:

snoopay700
10-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I'll agree to a degree that there are speedball and woodsball markers. An A-5, having the high profile cyclone feed, is quite impracticle on the air-ball field, even if it does have an electronics and double trigger package...

In the same respect, using a PLanetEclipse Ego in bright white and red and ramping constantly has a harder time in the woods save for a backman or "heavy gunner". In my expeirence woods games are slower paced and the shots are less frequent and at a much lower rate of fire...

However, a paintball gun is a paintball gun.

I currently have 4: a Tippmann 98 modified for Mil-sim, a PMI Trracer I can set-up for VSC, an AutomagRT with warp, and a Delta .68 pistol. I use all of those for everything.
It is difficult but I'll play x-ball with my 34" long, cyclone fed mil-sim 98.
I'll play speedball with my pistol in addition to using it on my thigh in scenarios.
I'll play anything with my pump, and the same in VSC if I feel up for it.
My 'Mag is small enough to own on a speedball field, and tough enough to hold up on the longest scenario.

I don't have a speedball gun and a woodsball gun and a side-arm and a pump gun, I have 4 paintball guns...

Thats the thing I hate in paintball, people who are intolerant of others (and yes, that can be a hipocratic statement). Woodsballers and the scenario crowd can't see the modern form of the game for it's own challenges and equipment, same as the modern AGG kid cannot see or respect paintball's woods oriented CTF roots.

It's like going to a steak place and only ordering the porterhouse. Sure they are known for steak, but they sure do have good burgers, chicken, ribs, etc...

I play paintball, I don't play woodsball/scenarioball/speedball/x-ball/pump...
That's what i was getting at when i said a marker's a marker. My marker at 300 fps can shoot you just as effectively as yours, etc. I'm just sick of people saying certain markers aren't suited to a certain type of play, although a huge rifle replica of course will do badly on a speedball field, that's about the one exception, but those do bad on a woodsball field too so it's all good.

Sumthinwicked
10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
actually i used my lb on the speedball field and i found it eisier to wrap around the bunkers with the 30 ins of gun

DanMan
10-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Whats is funny is the amount of "speedball" situations you can get you self into in a woods ball game. Where it is 2v2 with maybe 6 or 7 big trees or bunkers. A mag is nice in those kind of situations where you need to be tight, fast, and accurate. I ran into one of those with a 98 with a car stock, cyclone and a 16" barrel. I could barely fit behind the tree, much less snap shoot some one flanking :rolleyes:

warbeak2099
10-20-2008, 04:15 PM
I'd personally rather use a conventional setup than a milsim for woods play. A Mag with a rail/ASA and a 14" barrel is perfect IMO. Hell, I'd rather shoot an EGO than some milsim'd A-5 for woodsball. In my experience it's just not as effective as a gun that you can snapshoot with. Besides, camo and all that crap is next to worthless. I played this weekend at one of the local woods fields with my gloss black and chrome G-Mag with my gloss blue X-Valve. I did fine lol. I even sneaked up on some opposing players from behind and wasted them. Did it matter that I was wearing red E-Vents, red empire pants, and a bright red t-shirt? Apparently not.

Milsim is nice for people who want that realism, but it's totally unnecessary. You can do just as well on the woods field with a flashy setup and "speedball" clothes. Skill is what matters.

B-Pow
10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Wait...since when did it become two diffrent games....

it's the same game people...just with a diffrent backdrop and diffrent uniforms.

I don't know about you, but I can lane people on a woodsball field...and I can tree walk on a speedball field.

Hilltop Customs
10-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I play paintball.....sometimes woodsball, sometimes speedball.....but its always paintball :)

people who make big deals out of that crap are just wasting their own time, dont let them bother you. Some people are so closed minded anything different than what they own is inherently worse....those people need to get past that childish stage and open their minds up.

VVulfe
10-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I play paintball.....sometimes woodsball, sometimes speedball.....but its always paintball :)

people who make big deals out of that crap are just wasting their own time, dont let them bother you. Some people are so closed minded anything different than what they own is inherently worse....those people need to get past that childish stage and open their minds up.

So very, very true.

When asked what position I play, or role, or flavor, I tend to answer, "I play paintball" and just keep repeating that mantra when I'm pressed for specifics.

"What position do you play?"
"Paintball"
"Speedball?"
"Paintball."
"I play woodsball."
"I play paintball."
"Are you milsim?"
"Er...I play paintball!"

:cheers:

GRimm
10-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Thats the problem with people when it comes to everything nowadays, they cant listen to others views and would rather fight with that person instead of opening up there mind. Oh well, they will never know what they are missing so its their loss.

Sundown
10-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow, I can't believe I misted this thread :)

Well I can say that guy was funny as I was right beside PvcHook while he was talking about the tac-One being a speedball marker. And Pvc has a stock and a shroud around his barrel.... oh well

He said pretty much the same to me when I was filling my pods as he keeped asking how fast my double trigger was shooting.
I kept explaining that my marker is a mechanical and not made for high ROF. haha

Well he was a funny guy and he was even funnier seeing on the field :)

All in all... Hilltop, VVulfe and a lot of other people said it... paintball is paintball... no matter what marker you have :)

We should all stick together and not fight over a single or double trigger :rofl:

MAGnetism
10-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Must have been a newfie

Hook
10-20-2008, 08:25 PM
LOL, newfie or not, he was definitely a newbie :rofl:

Sundown
10-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Must have been a newfie

OMG you saw him also..

haha

MAGnetism
10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
OMG you saw him also..

haha

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_aug2004/NewfieRevolver.jpg

Beemer
10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
So very, very true.

When asked what position I play, or role, or flavor, I tend to answer, "I play paintball" and just keep repeating that mantra when I'm pressed for specifics.

"Paintball"
"Speedball?"
"Paintball."
"I play woodsball."
"I play paintball."
"Are you milsim?"
"Er...I play paintball!"

:cheers:

LOL, thats classic and priceless. Mind if I Sig it. :cheers:

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

[Quote=VVulfe] When asked what position I play, or role, or flavor, I tend to answer, "I play paintball" and just keep repeating that mantra when I'm pressed for specifics.

"Paintball"
"Speedball?"
"Paintball."
"I play woodsball."
"I play paintball."
"Are you milsim?"
"Er...I play paintball!"

VVulfe
10-20-2008, 10:00 PM
LOL, thats classic and priceless. Mind if I Sig it. :cheers:

I'd be honored :D

steve_81
10-21-2008, 09:04 AM
...sigh.

They are more annoying then Speedball "agglets." I used to play at a field (Colors, in Fremont Michigan.) where there were tons of woodsball "agglets" they were total douche bags. But that was a few years ago.

Jeffy-CanCon
10-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Just as an observation, I don't think the 68 Automag was ever a "common" field rental marker. When it was introduced in the early 90's most places still used pumps (PMI Trracers and Tippman SL-68's). The move to semi's mostly favoured the Tippmanns. Pro-Ams (early) and Pro-Lites (mid-90s) Pro-carbines (briefly) andf then the M98's. The Automags were better, but also significantly more expensive than the Tippmans.

TwilightG
10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I could never understand why so many players hate on each others equipment. It's ridiculous really. Sure, there's markers or whatever out there that I wouldn't personally use but I certainly would not criticize or put someone else down for using it. This kind of attitude runs rampant at my local field and it's so annoying!! :mad:

Luckily most AO'ers are mature and above that but it just makes the whole pb community look bad and that much more difficult to introduce new players to the game.

Sundown
10-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I could never understand why so many players hate on each others equipment. It's ridiculous really. Sure, there's markers or whatever out there that I wouldn't personally use but I certainly would not criticize or put someone else down for using it. This kind of attitude runs rampant at my local field and it's so annoying!! :mad:

Luckily most AO'ers are mature and above that but it just makes the whole pb community look bad and that much more difficult to introduce new players to the game.

Yeah exactly!
There seem to be a war going on in paintball of the woodsball Vs speedball and it's a shame as we are all paintball players... no matter what we play with.. even a paintball sling shot :)

Maybe patience will gather more wisdom out of everybody and we will all be part of one ''sport'' - Paintball.

wow.. that sounded cheesy :rofl:

Spider-TW
10-21-2008, 10:48 AM

It's understandable for the latest and greatest gear. If you managed to convince yourself, and maybe your family, that you needed to spend a couple grand on equipment "that's not junk", you're pretty much stuck with thinking everything else is junk or realize you just blew a wad of cash that will leave no trace in a couple of years.

That, or without the cash to get what you want, you have to convince yourself that you already have the best. ;)

Hook
10-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Personally, I never judge anyone one based on their equipment. I've seen rental player seriously rock it out with a beaten, duck taped Tippmann 98.

Same goes for speedball agglets with hig ROF. "Spray and pray" isn't a skill, it's a waste of paint and money :p

So it all boils down to skill. Most of the time, equipment has lilttle do to in the equation.

TwilightG
10-21-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm not even referring to speedball vs woodsball. that argument is just dumb to me (sorry to those that care) If it's a paintball marker, then you can play either style. You cannot argue that. as far as which style of play is better, it's all a matter of preference.

Even if I'm convinced that everyone else is playing w/ junky gear, I don't downplay them or their gear. A LOT of us all started with a Spyder (or knockoff) or some other lower-end markers (Stingray anyone?) but that's because it was either all we could afford or just didn't want to invest the money until we got serious about the game. There's still no reason to judge anyone's equipment.

ok.. i'm done ranting :D

behemoth
10-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Nevermind.

sffudapparel
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Personally, I never judge anyone one based on their equipment. I've seen rental player seriously rock it out with a beaten, duck taped Tippmann 98.

Same goes for speedball agglets with hig ROF. "Spray and pray" isn't a skill, it's a waste of paint and money :p

So it all boils down to skill. Most of the time, equipment has lilttle do to in the equation.

So true. My one friend still uses an old bright red spyder with a pink expansion chamber, gravity hopper and all. And he is one of the best players we play with, including people with mags, tippmanns, cockers, and everything inbetween. Been said so many times before but a gun is just an extention of a players skill

Toll
10-21-2008, 01:12 PM
A5's are real woodsball guns....because they can be outfitted with stocks and superflous barrels that make them look like m16s...

An Ion certainly isnt a woodsball gun. The fact that its faster, smaller, lighter, quieter and has a well regulated air supply means nothing.

I ran into a bit of that issue earlier on in my day at a small scenario(ish) game on the weekend. Alot of guys with A5's and camo very cautious about having "some speedball guy" on their team (I was wearing some ancient system x pants and an old tshirt) who could clearly not comprehend the stealth and manuevering required to play out in the woods. As it turns out working at the field for years has given me the ability to negate camoflage and stealth by knowing which trees block line of sight to my speedball play'n self.

The guys who insist there is a difference between woodsball and speedball guns (one cannot be used for the other) are generally the same people you see wearing ghillesuits with the wrong colours and insist everyone call them Alpha leader. Or the guys who buy 08 egos nib and then never, ever play with them for fear of scratching the anno.

Edit :

Just wanted to tack this gem on :

http://www.pbreview.com/paintball-videos/video.php?embed=tvbW0yOgtTUCiUCmyq0iUthLkHX3iRAT

pyrodragon
10-21-2008, 02:51 PM
so AT(anti tank) markers are not suppose to be used to bunker people in speedball, right? i better tell my friend Dan that. wonder what all those hardcore woodsballers think about my Z-grip RT Pro mag, espeically when they get taken out while i'm fallening flat on the ground? What about when i ddecide to play with my WWA freak tip? see ya on the field

B-Pow
10-21-2008, 02:59 PM
A5's are real woodsball guns....because they can be outfitted with stocks and superflous barrels that make them look like m16s...

An Ion certainly isnt a woodsball gun. The fact that its faster, smaller, lighter, quieter and has a well regulated air supply means nothing.

I ran into a bit of that issue earlier on in my day at a small scenario(ish) game on the weekend. Alot of guys with A5's and camo very cautious about having "some speedball guy" on their team (I was wearing some ancient system x pants and an old tshirt) who could clearly not comprehend the stealth and manuevering required to play out in the woods. As it turns out working at the field for years has given me the ability to negate camoflage and stealth by knowing which trees block line of sight to my speedball play'n self.

The guys who insist there is a difference between woodsball and speedball guns (one cannot be used for the other) are generally the same people you see wearing ghillesuits with the wrong colours and insist everyone call them Alpha leader. Or the guys who buy 08 egos nib and then never, ever play with them for fear of scratching the anno.

Edit :

http://www.pbreview.com/paintball-videos/video.php?embed=tvbW0yOgtTUCiUCmyq0iUthLkHX3iRAT

Last time I went to play I was wearing player paintball pants, a light grey longsleeved tee shirt, and an off white "bowling shirt". I call it my douchebag uniform...and I play the part being loud and obnoxious.

I've crawled undetected through brush in that outfit...and it worked. people were shocked when the game ended and I emerged from the thigh deep brush with the hooked seeds stuck to my clothes and such. the speedball-ish players were shocked I tried that...and the cammo-ed out woodsball players were shocked it worked.

By half way through the day I had both styles of players keeping an eye on me. Mostly because I was being loud and annoying in douchey clothes, part because I could really use soft and hard cover well (when I needed to or decided to...I spent a lot of time in the open yelling out other players positions or just being a "designated idiot"), and because that day I was really on with my aim with a screaming death 06 intimidator.

Sometimes I love this game.

Spider-TW
10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Edit :

Ugh. I'll have to add "10 round burst mode" to my warning phrase list.

On paint usage, I guess he's never used the technique of shooting out all of the foliage to eliminate a single player in 'woodsball'. :p

warbeak2099
10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Even older woodsball players can be idiots sometimes. This weekend there were two guys decked out in full BDU's, Spec Ops vests, and Spec Ops'd A-5's. They cheated more than anyone at the field.

I was there with a group from my school as a way of introducing them to the sport. Several of them said they probably wouldn't try it again because of those older guys. They were about 40-45 and should definitely have known better.

One of them in particular didn't accept the "surrender" rule and blasted one of the noobs that I was this from 10 feet away with his RT'd A-5. The kid had called for surrender and the old timer turned around and demanded that the kid instead surrender because he was just some noob with a rental 98. When the kid refused, he got hosed.

I've actually seen more cases of this while playing woodsball than when I play speedball. In fact, the speedballers on the woodsball field are always better behaved.

snoopay700
10-21-2008, 05:41 PM
It's understandable for the latest and greatest gear. If you managed to convince yourself, and maybe your family, that you needed to spend a couple grand on equipment "that's not junk", you're pretty much stuck with thinking everything else is junk or realize you just blew a wad of cash that will leave no trace in a couple of years.

That, or without the cash to get what you want, you have to convince yourself that you already have the best. ;)
Hehehe, he said blew a wad.

I can understand that there are people like this though, it's still incredibly stupid even if it can be rationalized.

michbich
10-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Even older woodsball players can be idiots sometimes. This weekend there were two guys decked out in full BDU's, Spec Ops vests, and Spec Ops'd A-5's. They cheated more than anyone at the field.

I was there with a group from my school as a way of introducing them to the sport. Several of them said they probably wouldn't try it again because of those older guys. They were about 40-45 and should definitely have known better.

One of them in particular didn't accept the "surrender" rule and blasted one of the noobs that I was this from 10 feet away with his RT'd A-5. The kid had called for surrender and the old timer turned around and demanded that the kid instead surrender because he was just some noob with a rental 98. When the kid refused, he got hosed.

I've actually seen more cases of this while playing woodsball than when I play speedball. In fact, the speedballers on the woodsball field are always better behaved.

Depending on the situation, i usualy don't ask for a surrender for that perticular reason. When i manage to come up behind the other team, i take a single shot in the back. It avoids having to deal with people not wanting to surrender. I don't wait to be 10 feet away though. I take the shot when i feel that i have 100% of making the first shot. I have never met someone that was mad because of it, they are usualy happy to have only been shot once rather than lit up from close range because they didn't surrender because of stress.

Spider-TW
10-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Hehehe, he said blew a wad.

I can understand that there are people like this though, it's still incredibly stupid even if it can be rationalized.
For sure, understandable, but stupid...Beavis :)

warbeak2099
10-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Depending on the situation, i usualy don't ask for a surrender for that perticular reason. When i manage to come up behind the other team, i take a single shot in the back. It avoids having to deal with people not wanting to surrender. I don't wait to be 10 feet away though. I take the shot when i feel that i have 100% of making the first shot. I have never met someone that was mad because of it, they are usualy happy to have only been shot once rather than lit up from close range because they didn't surrender because of stress.

It was a rule at the field. The refs had told the new players to abide by it and they were. The older guys thought they were above the rules.

snoopay700
10-22-2008, 12:24 AM
For sure, understandable, but stupid...Beavis :)
Hey now, i'm not beavis, i just saw it and i thought "wow, i'm sure i'm not the only one who's gonna notice this, but i'm sure i can be teh only one stupid enough to mention it" and thus laughs ensued...i hope. ;)