PDA

View Full Version : Excuse my ignorance

WARPED1
10-23-2008, 06:28 PM
I see pneumags all over AO now. But isn't an RT doing the same thing a PnM does? Push the trigger back quicker for a quick shot? Can someone explain, in a nutshell, the difference?

snoopay700
10-23-2008, 06:31 PM
That's not what it does at all, it uses an extra valve and that releases air to a ram that pushes the sear, allowing you to get a trigger that is in some cases lighter than an electronic marker.

questionful
10-23-2008, 06:36 PM
completely different things, as snoopay explained.

http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/pneumag_5fps.gif

WARPED1
10-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Ah ha, I thought it was another RT type thing.

Pneumagger
10-23-2008, 07:03 PM
A pneumatic mag uses a mechanical force multiplier to allow for a very light electro-like trigger.
A nice pneumatic mag feels and shoots just like any electro in semi.
Except it's a mag and there's no betteries. ;)

WARPED1
10-23-2008, 09:23 PM
So, it sucks up even more gas?

snoopay700
10-23-2008, 09:26 PM
So, it sucks up even more gas?
Well you can go through about 560 rounds or so before it's done with a 3000 48 ci tank.

WARPED1
10-23-2008, 09:36 PM
So would pneumagging an RT/Xvalve do anything special?

AirAssault
10-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Well yes, depending on what you want it to do. Pneumaging only lets your fire faster, with shorter trigger pull.... you will you your reactivity though, which you don't need when you pneu. If you want whicked fast trigger pull in an electro, make it an ego mag. good luck.

michbich
10-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Well yes, depending on what you want it to do. Pneumaging only lets your fire faster, with shorter trigger pull.... you will lose your reactivity though, which you don't need when you pneu. If you want whicked fast trigger pull in an electro, make it an ego mag. good luck.
Fixed :)

TeamBob
10-23-2008, 10:29 PM
this will explain exactly what a pnue is and how they work

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235508

And this is pretty much what you need to know about RT's

http://www.zakvetter.com/pages/paintballs/automag_info/rapidfire/how-to-rapidfire.html

Pneumagger
10-23-2008, 10:33 PM
The only reason to convert an RT valve to pneumatic is if you can physically shoot faster than the AIR valve will let you.
Classics run about about 13bps, so it's probably a safe bet that any decent skills on the trigger warrant a faster valve.
ULT is not required either... so either valve in stock form works just fine.

The amount of gas used is very negligible especially if you tune the 3way to vent less while depressed.
Here's a vid from youtube of me gassing a marker up and then only firing the pneumatics.
You can see that with JUST the air used in gassing up a mag you can many dozens of shots.
old video (frame rate is ~15fps... and the triggerpull is ~15bps :tard: ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cle7r568_0

Evil1
10-30-2008, 05:20 AM
I shot a pneumag a friend bought a while ago and what everyone said is pretty close to the truth. Its a mech gun with an extremely light trigger pull. They are walkable and very easy to achieve high ROFs. You dont need the RT effect with them, BUT the RT effect is awesome and for anyone who owns or has shot or played with one of the classic RTs, They will all attest that a fully functioning classic RT at full pressure is a very scary and devestating gun! I will never forget the first time I was on the recieveing end of one back in the late 90s. The reason I say classic RT is because(no disrespect to the owners of retro and xvalves) the classic RT is WAY more reactive! The Classic RTs are a gun that was well ahead of its time and I will never sell mine! Sorry I went off on a tangent but the classic RTs are still one of my all time faves! Built like a tank, awesome looks, and even better ROF. What more could you ask for?

WARPED1
10-30-2008, 12:48 PM
My opinion is, if you want a light trigger like an electro, BUY AN ELECTRO!
What does a mod like that cost? Add that to the outrageous, inflated price of a mag and you could've bought an Etek or PMR.

DevilMan
10-30-2008, 12:53 PM
But electro's don't like water and batteries die. A mag with pneu's in it allows for a full lectro feel and play speed WITHOUT ever having to worry about water, mud, batteries, etc. NOW TRUE you get into the batteries of the hopper. Okay... but what about the Q loader?

Pneu Mag = No Batteries
Q Loader = No Batteries
Air Tank = No Batteries.

There you have a setup that is as capable to shoot as you are on the trigger and you'll never buy another duracell.

Just my .02

And yes you could buy an Etek or PMR or an Ion or any other common fold Lectro out there now. But some folks like mags. Some like to put a Pneu frame on a classic valve/body and take it out and go crazy with it and not worry about any anno, any bends, chips, dents, etc.

DM

xero28
10-30-2008, 01:07 PM
It cost me around $80 to pneu my mag, that includes a palmer's micro rock. So for an extra $80, I now have one of the most well built, reliable, kick butt guns around with a trigger pull that is comparable to that of an electo. Plus, if something ever does go wrong with the pneumatics, it's just a matter of putting the trigger rod back on to work in pure mech.

Spider-TW
10-30-2008, 01:50 PM
And yes you could buy an Etek or PMR or an Ion or any other common fold Lectro out there now. But some folks like mags. Some like to put a Pneu frame on a classic valve/body and take it out and go crazy with it and not worry about any anno, any bends, chips, dents, etc.

DM
You've got to love your stainless. :D

I guess pneu's feel most like optical triggers. They don't feel like microswitches. They still shoot like a mech; no delay, no twitching your finger to get an extra shot off because the switch bounces. It's all wysiwyg.

If you ever appreciated the sound and recoil (or not) of the classic valve, running one between 10 and 14 bps is just slick.

I keep an old timmy in my box for air efficiency. I works great, but it has so many delicate parts that I hate to work on it because the process of disconnecting and reconnecting everything just wears the connections out.

I don't really see the price of mags as inflated. I paid as much for my original 68 automag as I would for a new 'ULE RT PRO'. I think the newer electros are different animals whose lifetime is limited by design and that design is targeted to a mass market and mass production with cnc and injection molding.

Shoot what you like. Pneu's are just another toy to play with. If I ever need a different toy, it may be an ego-mag. :p

WARPED1
10-30-2008, 03:02 PM
But electro's don't like water and batteries die. A mag with pneu's in it allows for a full lectro feel and play speed WITHOUT ever having to worry about water, mud, batteries, etc. NOW TRUE you get into the batteries of the hopper. Okay... but what about the Q loader?

Pneu Mag = No Batteries
Q Loader = No Batteries
Air Tank = No Batteries.

There you have a setup that is as capable to shoot as you are on the trigger and you'll never buy another duracell.

Just my .02

DMBatteries in paintball is part of the 21st century, please join it. :p

Spider-TW
10-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Battery management and indication has improved a lot lately.

My initial introduction to ions was at a big game where kids kept complaining about their ion 'not working'. Two of them eventually figured out that their battery was low, after fiddling around for a while. A lot of markers try to work when they should really just quit and ask for help.

The alternative to avoiding low batteries is to put new ones in before any extended event. You also can't leave them in a marker (or loader) in storage in case it starts leaking and eats up the contacts and wires.

This reminds me, I need to go pull some batteries... :argh:

DevilMan
10-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Batteries in paintball is part of the 21st century, please join it. :p

Oh I've joined.... I've an NME, an XMag an Angel, and a DM3 that take them.

Funny thing is... even those guns usually see the field with a BE Pocket Hopper on top.

:D

DM

snoopay700
10-30-2008, 04:17 PM
My opinion is, if you want a light trigger like an electro, BUY AN ELECTRO!
What does a mod like that cost? Add that to the outrageous, inflated price of a mag and you could've bought an Etek or PMR.
I made a pneuRT for about 260.

WARPED1
10-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Oh I've joined.... I've an NME, an XMag an Angel, and a DM3 that take them.

Funny thing is... even those guns usually see the field with a BE Pocket Hopper on top.

:D

DM
Pocket hopper one of those 45 round hoppers?

DevilMan
10-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Pocket hopper one of those 45 round hoppers?

Yup!!! That or one of my winchesters.

:D Which ever I grab.

Tis funny when people keep asking what's the deal with the little hopper.

DM

trigger090
10-30-2008, 04:20 PM
hey ive got a classic mag for sale for 100 and somewhere i saw a pnumag kit for like 60 so you could technicly have a pnumag for 160.... i think unless you need more than just that i dont know much about them either.