PDA

View Full Version : superbolt question for users possible idea

magmonkey
01-26-2002, 11:47 AM
I was sitting here thinking about the superbolt problem and I had an idea that I didn't see mentioned here before so here goes:

for the owners of super bolts in any condition post here with what gun you put it in ie emag,mini,rt,or standard automag and how much did you rip on it after you put the new bolt in
my idea has to do with heat friction and the expantion of the delrin
I dry fire my emag alot (I practice snap shooting my tv when I don't like the show) :) and after a long fast string I notice the body heating up, so could it be that the delrin insert is expanding and cracking? think about it it is a hollow tube if it were to expand it would A)get tighter on the center of the bolt
and B) the outside diamater would expand
this could be way off base but I thought it might be worth mentioning
gliney the mag monkey

headcase
01-26-2002, 11:52 AM
Interesting thought....

I have the superbolt, with all AGD upgrades, in my E-mag. My friends and I dry fired about 4 68/4500 fills the other day. In all three modes at varing rates of fire and lenght of string. At one point in hybrid I bounced the trigger for around 10sec straight.

I still don't notice any problems with my bolt.

Dude
01-26-2002, 04:23 PM
I don't think that the mainbody of the gun heating up has anything to do with the superbolt. You might be right, but I think this has to do with the air going quikly through the valve and heating it up this way. The mainbody gets hot on my brother's pf mag with a standard stainless steel bolt when he shoots it fast for anything over 100 shots.

magmonkey
01-27-2002, 08:39 AM
Dude,
I think I have given you the wrong idea with my post
I am not blaming the super bolt for the body heating up,
that is caused by friction I am (*posibly*) blaming the heat for causing the super bolt to crack.

I don't have a super bolt in either of my mags but I have noticed the heat buildup using the stainless bolt

ok lets see if i can explain this....
when you rip on your trigger for any amount of time you are going to build up heat from the friction of the spring rubing against the inside of the body of your mag.... now if the body is heating up this must also mean that there is a temp change in the bolt because the spring is in close contact and is rubing on it just as much as it rubs on the body.

now think about the delrin sleeve on the superbolt
as just a tube
when you heat it up it is going to expand.
the outside diamater is going to get bigger and the inside dia is going to get tighter and I would imagine causing some stress to the material and possibly cracking it

Tom: If you read this and I am way off base please let me know,also have you been down this road before ? I haven't seen anything on AO about it so I thought id give it a try. this is not ment as a jab at the super bolts but as my way of trying to help.

Gliney the Mag Monkey