PDA

View Full Version : If you had a million dollars

Hilltop Customs
10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
If you had a million dollars, what would you do?

Got the question from Office Space in case anyone is wondering.

(other than 2 chicks at the same time) :D

skife
10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
pay off parents house, pay off my bills.

buy some land, build a house and big polebarn, buy some tool, buy a truck, a summer car, and a dirtbike.

all of the used nature.

invest the rest.

grEnAlEins
10-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Pay for graduate school, down payment on/buy a house,after I fugure out where I am gonna work, help siblings out w/ school buy some firearms that I have been eying, invest (especially now and in the next year or two), maybe a new vehicle in a few years, SAVE IT, etc.

ManInBlack
10-26-2008, 09:52 PM
School loans.
House with lots of land.
New car.
Puppy.
Invest.

Eagle
10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
:D 3 chicks lol jk

teufelhunden
10-26-2008, 09:59 PM
S&P fund for a couple of years.

Then, with the 2+ million, a house, some cars, etc.

maxama10
10-26-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd invest it and live modestly until I had many millions. Then I'd do a number of things. Including buy all my favorite mags. :p

Edit: I'd also start collecting firearms. Some of the first would be an M1A, a G3, a 1911 in all chrome :eek: , an FAL, and a Barret .50 cal

I'd also want a large shop with a lift and stocked full of tools, a good stock of metal, and some good milling machines etc...

MoeMag
10-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Nothing.

a 1911 chambered in .45 LC :confused:

Hilltop Customs
10-26-2008, 10:58 PM
MoeMag, I really used to think that I would be happy doing nothing, but then I realized how boring it is in college. :D

You guys make me wish I knew something about investing.....not that it would do any good, since I dont have anything to invest :( lol

I would:
Buy my moms old house with 1/4th
Invest 1/4th in a business
1/8th to live on for a few years and buy a couple cheap toys with
3/8ths to save/invest with initially....if business is stable enough, reinvest in it.

why do you guys love buying so many guns? I'd be happy with 1 carbine.....well maybe 1 really nice bolt action rifle, a shotgun or two, oh and a couple handguns......ahhhh crap. :rofl:

trevorjk
10-27-2008, 01:44 AM
pay of debts, school loans ect

invest, move to europe

LegumeOfTerror
10-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Nothing.

:confused:

i am also confused by that statement.

Dend78
10-27-2008, 09:55 AM
well i would pay my stuff off first, credit cards, house, loans all that stuff, then i would go buy a lil bigger house and rent the one i currently own or sell it. then i would put the rest in CD's and savings accounts and draw interest on it, i dont know much about investing so i would drop more learning it than i would probably gain in returns so savings accounts are more my style

Phaelynar
10-27-2008, 10:10 AM
I would buy a place to live and put the rest into a bank. I have no loans from college, a new car & no payments, and no credit card debt. I would continue working as usual after graduating, and I'd just sit on the money and let it continue to build interest.

Very exciting, I know.

robnix
10-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Got the question from Office Space in case anyone is wondering.

(other than 2 chicks at the same time) :D
Pay everything off, setup my son's college fund. put an addition on the house. Buy some land.

Dark Side
10-27-2008, 10:16 AM
why do you guys love buying so many guns? I'd be happy with 1 carbine.....well maybe 1 really nice bolt action rifle, a shotgun or two, oh and a couple handguns......ahhhh crap. :rofl:

Gotta get ready for the Zombies somehow. :shooting:

punkncat
10-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Pay off home and doctor bills.
Buy some manner of inflatable valuable commodity like diamonds, gold, COPPER....Don't have enough faith in the stock market not to lose lots of money in right now.
Buy a hunk of land.
Play lots of paintball.

grEnAlEins
10-27-2008, 11:24 AM
i am also confused by that statement.
Add me to the list. I assume he either meant 45ACP or wanted to get really whacky and go with a rare but findable 45 Super, or be insane and have someone make a 45GAP (or even a 45LC I guess)... :confused: :tard:

SCpoloRicker
10-27-2008, 11:25 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1050/567456292_257a85505e_m.jpg

Approves.

All kidding aside, I'd buy a multi-unit rental building. With at least two chicks.

Avianrave
10-27-2008, 12:26 PM
To tell you the truth, I would just use 10,000 of it, then put the rest in a high interest savings account. I'll then just forget about it.

So my answer is almost nothing.

Altimas
10-27-2008, 01:57 PM
I would spend it all on Ale and Whores..

grEnAlEins
10-27-2008, 01:58 PM
I would spend it all on Ale and Whores..
:headbang: Can't take it with you ;)

Hexis
10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I'd buy you a green dress (but not a real green dress, that's cruel)
I'd buy you a monkey (haven't you always wanted a monkey?)
I'd buy you an exotic pet (like a llama or an emu)

maxama10
10-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Hmm, good question guys. I somehow confused the 1911 with taking the LC I did mean .45 ACP though

:shooting:

:rolleyes: dumb... sorry.

Edit: I'd also stock up on a couple thousand rounds ammo for each

snoopay700
10-27-2008, 07:05 PM
(other than 2 chicks at the same time)
While having that conversation with a girl, i actually realized i would think that was gross surprisingly, and some girls have found that to be a good aspect about me, she just looked at me weird.

Honestly, i would pay off my school tuition so i don't have to wonder if i can register for next quarter, then i'd probably buy something nice for me and my immediate family, then do something to help others with the rest.

GreasyPigeon
10-27-2008, 07:46 PM
I would get a boat. Move to Mexico, live off my boat and surf and fish all day.

Papa_Smurf
10-27-2008, 08:32 PM
I would get a boat. Move to Mexico, live off my boat and surf and fish all day.

:headbang: You sir, are the man.

Same here, but I'd be in North Carolina. That's God's country.

Hexis
10-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Same here, but I'd be in North Carolina.

That's where I'm headed tomorrow for work. I wish I had some time to go out and fish.

grEnAlEins
10-27-2008, 09:36 PM
I wish I had some time to go out and fish.
Can't you just blow off work :confused: :p

Empyreal Rogue
10-28-2008, 04:04 AM
Since the economy is in the tank, investing probably wouldn't be the wisest option. So I'd probably put 500,000 in a swiss bank account, let it collect interest. Then when the economy improves take some of it out to invest.

I'd give 100,000 to each of my family members.

Use my final 100,000 to do a lot of the little things I really want to do. Tune up my car a little (Turbo kit, B18B2 or iVetc, respray, lowering springs, new tint, angel eye conversion), buy a bike (GSX-R600), 42"+ Plasma Screen TV, surround sound system to compliment the TV, and probably a new computer. If there's anything left over at that point I'll save it for future expenses. Rent, food, gas, etc.

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Since the economy is in the tank, investing probably wouldn't be the wisest option.
Why? :confused: Everything is cheap and undervalued as of now. It is gonna hurt in the short term, but if you buy now and can ride the storm out, you will catch the upswing.

Also: I would make a large campaign contribution to myself. I doubled my number of supporters in the last few hours :dance: (went from one to two :rolleyes: ) so I think I can still pull it off. No other candidate still in the race has seen the same growth rate that I have (growing by 100% so close to election day is largely unprecedented)... :spit_take

michbich
10-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Concidering that 85% of the lottery winners file for bankruptcy within 5 years, I would just sit on it. With that amount, i would get 2k a month of interest wich is more than enough to live off of till i finish school.

SSP-SheiK
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
i would update my marker collection with a few more mags and rare guns
finnish a couple projects and buy new gear
buy a new car, or re-build my current one...
buy a couple of toys (jetski, dirtbike, rhino, couple street bikes)
buy a house (nothing fancy, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, living room kitchen/dining room, office)
buy store front, with a couple indoor fields...
get a couple MORE exotic reptiles...
buy a camper/bus for team to travel out of state for big games and scenarios
put the rest in a high interest savings account and watch it grow

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Concidering that 85% of the lottery winners file for bankruptcy within 5 years
There is a reason for that though. Look at who plays most often and therefore has the greatest chance of winning...

Hilltop Customs
10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
There is a reason for that though. Look at who plays most often and therefore has the greatest chance of winning...

only person Ive ever met who really plays often was a crackhead......I'm just saying.

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 01:25 PM
only person Ive ever met who really plays often was a crackhead......I'm just saying.
There is yet another key focus group as well. I did not want to name either one, but you sorta hit one of them there. :cheers:

michbich
10-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I think that a money management class should atleast be offered or even obligated before receiving that much money. I know i would take it.

Pneumagger
10-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Pay off house - $130000
School loans - $40000
Build up a 1992 DSM for cruising - $30000
Buy 50000 rounds of assorted 5.56mm, 9mm and .45acp - $15000
Buy a few rifles, silencers, and acessories - $30000
Tits and blow - $755000

Seriously though... I'd just put it in some account somewhere and try and get a 4% return.
That pays off my house, loans, car and firearms addiction within 6 years.
(Then I get $30k/yr to spend on hookers and booze forever :D )

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
I think that a money management class should atleast be offered or even obligated before receiving that much money. I know i would take it.
That's ridiculous. They can afford to take a class if they just won the lottery. They should have right, the freedom, to choose what they learn and do not and how they spend and do not.

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Buy 50000 rounds of assorted 5.56mm, 9mm and .45acp - $15000
Buy a few rifles, silencers, and acessories - $30000

Spend the rest on tits and blow.
:headbang:, :headbang: , an :rofl:

I still need to buy a 9mm, well want to anyways. I am deciding between an XD, PX4, and a Ruger P series. Can you make any recommendations or give input on any or all of these? I am leaning towards sub-compact, so the Ruger idea is in last place.

Pneumagger
10-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Concidering that 85% of the lottery winners file for bankruptcy within 5 years, I would just sit on it.
With that amount, i would get 2k a month of interest wich is more than enough to live off of till i finish school.

People like that go bankrupt because they don't know how to handle money to begin with.
Poor people buy lottery tickets... well, that and gambling addicts. Take your choice, neither manages well and will piss all of it away.
Most poor people are poor for a reason.
That's one reason giving poor people welfare and free housing does almost nothing to help them ideologically.

Pneumagger
10-28-2008, 01:47 PM
:headbang:, :headbang: , an :rofl:

I still need to buy a 9mm, well want to anyways. I am deciding between an XD, PX4, and a Ruger P series. Can you make any recommendations or give input on any or all of these? I am leaning towards sub-compact, so the Ruger idea is in last place.
Ruger makes terrible centerfire pistols. Period.
Buy a Glock 23. Install a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel. You can shoot .40/9mm for carry/practice, respectively.
If you wanna feel patriotic, get a S&W M&P9c... at least they're made in America.
But seriously, get a glock. That's what I'm getting for my next firearm.

I don't own a 9mm pistol currently - but it's the ammo I buy the most of.
Speaking of which, I'm going to Dick's to pick up 1000rnds sometime soon. Got a coupon :)

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Buy a Glock 23.
I cannot do that... I HATE Glocks. I hate the way they feel, I hate the way they shoot, I hate how the slide does not lock beck when I empty it (I realize that it is supposed to, but I have MONSTROUS hands and especially thumbs and cannot help but rest on the slide release lever). I would never buy a Glock unless I could legally get my hands on a Glock 18. That will not happen in the State of Illinois though :(

Also, less important, I think that they look terrible.

EDIT: Also, there is no carry in Illinois as of now, so that is not a factor. I already have a firearm that I would opt to carry should a carry law pass. I also should have thought about it, but I might look into a Browning Hi-Power. I would really like a smaller gun though. The again I might just get another 45. Maybe a P220c or something. We shall see. I have way too much on my things to buy list and not enough cash as of now. I still need another rifle or two, another two shotguns, a revolver or two, and another semi-pistol or two.

sffudapparel
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
5,000 to 10 of my closest friends.
50,000 take my whole family on a vacation (grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents, sisters)
50,000 give to my family to help them out
30,000 on a new car (my truck is about dead)
5,000 on a skydiving rig.
5,000 on a motorcycle
5,000 misc stuff I'd like
80,000 down payment on a house
750,000 saved/invested.
20,000 find people who need it more than i do and give it to them

snoopay700
10-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Why? :confused: Everything is cheap and undervalued as of now. It is gonna hurt in the short term, but if you buy now and can ride the storm out, you will catch the upswing.

Also: I would make a large campaign contribution to myself. I doubled my number of supporters in the last few hours :dance: (went from one to two :rolleyes: ) so I think I can still pull it off. No other candidate still in the race has seen the same growth rate that I have (growing by 100% so close to election day is largely unprecedented)... :spit_take
Eh, you tripled it, i'm supporting you, and i promise you my friend's unborn child as support.

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Eh, you tripled it, i'm supporting you, and i promise you my friend's unborn child as support.
Thank you for your support :p

One vote at a time ;)

snoopay700
10-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Thank you for your support :p

One vote at a time ;)
Hey, i know nothing about you other than you own two guns, but already you beat out the two main guys running in my book. ;)

And i'm not kidding, they're seriously both horrible, i would vote for ANYONE over them, i may even write in Samuel L. :ninja:

Hilltop Customs
10-28-2008, 07:05 PM
hey, take that political talk over to tuna's new thread.(which I will imagine will be closed shortly) :p

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 07:12 PM
hey, take that political talk over to tuna's new thread.(which I will imagine will be closed shortly) :p
Are you failing to support the almighty me?

/Tar
//Feathers :p

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Also:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rjvapPF8wlg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rjvapPF8wlg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sorry, had to...

Hilltop Customs
10-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Are you failing to support the almighty me?

/Tar
//Feathers :p

I would, but I already sent in mine :(

I'll run your campaign though!

Vote with your heart.
Vote with your mind.
Vote for your country not your party.
Vote grEnAlEins 2008. The change starts with you the voter!
grEnAlEins 08 FTW!
"I'm grEnAlEins, and I approved this message."

snoopay700
10-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh i've already chimed in there haha, but yeah, my post was soooooooooooo political, what with me saying both candidates suck and anyone else almost beats them out by default. :rolleyes: Haha, anyway, yeah, all i really had to say in this thread, i already said what i'd do with my million and that hasn't changed, although i was expecting at least one person to accuse me of being a liar.

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I would, but I already sent in mine :(

I'll run your campaign though!

Vote with your heart.
Vote with your mind.
Vote for your country not your party.
Vote grEnAlEins 2008. The change starts with you the voter!
grEnAlEins 08 FTW!
"I'm grEnAlEins, and I approved this message."
HAHAHAHAHAHA! :rofl:

I get to vote again :D . My ballot had an error :( . That and I am from the Chicago area... ZING! :p

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 07:26 PM
i was expecting at least one person to accuse me of being a liar.

While having that conversation with a girl, i actually realized i would think that was gross
LIAR!!

Gotcha covered ;)

By the way, did that "No way, that's gross" line get you into some pantaloons? :D

snoopay700
10-28-2008, 07:29 PM
LIAR!!

Gotcha covered ;)

By the way, did that "No way, that's gross" line get you into some pantaloons? :D
Not exactly what i meant, i meant more about giving it to charity haha, but after i put both of those things i expected at least someone to comment on one of them.

And believe it or not, both are true, i'm just weird like that.

And sadly, no, it did not, she looked at me weird. Then again i can't say my latest "endeavor" has been my wisest, but it's one of those things i've sort of trapped myself in.

grEnAlEins
10-28-2008, 07:41 PM
one of those things i've sort of trapped myself in.
Uh-oh. That does not sound good. I will decline to comment further are this means one of two things, each of which would propagate a completely different retort and I do not wanna eat my foot ;)

again... DING DING DING :p

Hilltop Customs
10-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh i've already chimed in there haha, but yeah, my post was soooooooooooo political, what with me saying both candidates suck and anyone else almost beats them out by default. :rolleyes: Haha, anyway, yeah, all i really had to say in this thread, i already said what i'd do with my million and that hasn't changed, although i was expecting at least one person to accuse me of being a liar.

lol I noticed you were the first person to mention doing something for other people, was going to say something about it, but forgot. I hypothetically really would like to do something for other people, but a million dollars just isnt enough to help many people....ideally I'd rather make more, and then develop my own ways of helping people. I dont trust giving other people money to help people, rather fund something that helps directly....and also I'd like to have influence over the direction the help leads people.

Hilltop Customs
10-28-2008, 07:47 PM
again... DING DING DING :p

what can I say other than, damn I'm good :cool:

AO political thread PWNAGE!
"No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster"

snoopay700
10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Yeah, it's not good greenaliens, i'm just going to leave it at that, and say that these kinds of situations suck.

And yeah, i dunno, see it's not much, but i still think i could start something so that there are less hungry people out there or something, i'm not sure what i would do. I mean in theory if you help people eat it will give them time to sort stuff out so they aren't simply trying to survive, but on the other hand it can let them just become comfortable with their situation, so like i said, it's not much and i don't know what i would do, but at the same time i can't rationalize keeping it because if i can get through school i'll be making enough money to live the life i want when i'm out of school, and i know i want to do something about everything that's going on in the world, but i don't know what, but i do know i want to start in our own country if possible.

devildog
10-28-2008, 09:02 PM

hookers

Hilltop Customs
10-28-2008, 09:12 PM
dont need a million dollars for that, or are you talking about 1 daily for the rest of your life? lol

drg
10-28-2008, 10:34 PM
I'd buy you a green dress (but not a real green dress, that's cruel)
I'd buy you a monkey (haven't you always wanted a monkey?)
I'd buy you an exotic pet (like a llama or an emu)

That took altogether too long lol

I'd buy John Merrick's remains (all those crazy elephant bones)

grEnAlEins
10-29-2008, 01:06 AM
That took altogether too long lol

I'd buy John Merrick's remains (all those crazy elephant bones)
You might need more than $1M... :p

Hexis
10-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Can't you just blow off work :confused: :p

Maybe, it looks like we could be finished really early. I wonder if I can convince my cow-orker to go fishing.

You should check out the XDm 9mm. Looks like a nice 9mm.

devildog
10-29-2008, 10:34 AM
dont need a million dollars for that, or are you talking about 1 daily for the rest of your life? lol

1 mill worth of hookers for 24 hours

grEnAlEins
10-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Maybe, it looks like we could be finished really early. I wonder if I can convince my cow-orker to go fishing.

You should check out the XDm 9mm. Looks like a nice 9mm.
And they have a compact model too. ;) I am gonna look into it and shop around a bit.

You mean your co-workers are not chomping at the bit for a chance to fish? :confused:

Pneumagger
10-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Kahr makes a great compact 9mm... well, moreso compact than great. But they're just fine.
The Wilson Combat ADP is also a neat compact picstol.

grEnAlEins
10-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Kahr makes a great compact 9mm... well, moreso compact than great. But they're just fine.
The Wilson Combat ADP is also a neat compact picstol.
Do you know anything about the Para pistols? I doubt I'll be able to afford one this summer, but they seem to be nice. I was looking at a PDA or a Hawg on Para's site and gunbroker a little bit...

I would venture to guess that the Wilson is expensive as well. EDIT: Not that bad actually. That will be something to look at.

I will look into the Kahr when I go home for break. Gander Mountain keeps them in stock, just to bad I cannot buy there. We cannot buy handguns from out of state, only dealers can do that :rolleyes:

Pneumagger
10-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Do you know anything about the Para pistols? I doubt I'll be able to afford one this summer, but they seem to be nice. I was looking at a PDA or a Hawg on Para's site and gunbroker a little bit...

I would venture to guess that the Wilson is expensive as well. EDIT: Not that bad actually. That will be something to look at.

I will look into the Kahr when I go home for break. Gander Mountain keeps them in stock, just to bad I cannot buy there. We cannot buy handguns from out of state, only dealers can do that :rolleyes:
I've used my college address when purchasing firearms. When buying them at home I used my driver's liscense address.
win-win

grEnAlEins
10-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I've used my college address when purchasing firearms. When buying them at home I used my driver's liscense address.
win-win
My college is in MA and home is in IL, so it is a lose-lose for me :p

That's it. If I had a million dollars, I would buy the state legislature when it comes to the issue of gun control. You know, grease some palms in Springfield. They are all on the take anyway so it is hardly unethical :D