PDA

View Full Version : RT vs. Retro

Billy No Mates
01-26-2002, 02:41 PM
i am relatively new to the paintball world, even more so to that of the Mag. Ive been offered n RT and a Retro at differant prices, as my first marker. Now, ive fired an RT however, only dry, im waiting for it to be fully repaired to fire it in a game.

I have absolubtly no idea what a Retro mag is, other than its a mag, with a retro valve.
(ive had much jargon thrown at me what a retro valve is, and gather its basically designed to reduce choped balls, and gas drop-off.)
that sounds kinda stupid, but is it? does the retro mag have a Response Trigger style thing?
i see the high rate of fire of the RT as its big feature, and that it is that that gives it a competative edge in a world of electro markers. However im sure big mag fans can find thousands of others.

ok, so lots of babble. In short, RT vs. Retro, what are the BIG differances, maintenace wise are they the same internally? and relatively is one more expensive than the other, be it second hand or otherwise? im sure your all gonna sey look in this or that shop for prices, and look in the gallery for pics, well thats all good, but im after personal response, and the ideas of people who play wiht the markers.

Thanks for reading, n if your not bored to death now, any help would be much appreciated. :D

Billy no mates

Dude
01-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Using an RT will be very similar to using a retro mag. The triggers will feel the same in regards to reactivity and the two valves will both produce absolutely no shoot down. The retro mag will probably be a little smaller than the RT but the RT will probably be cheaper than the retro mag because the gun came whole, instead of having to buy a gun and an upgrade. The valves of the two are almost identical except for that the RT's valve is narrower than the retro mag's. Hope this helps.

Xzion
01-26-2002, 09:27 PM
Since AGD has stopped production on the Classic Automag RT, and replaced it with the Automag RT PRO, leaving all the RT valves in production exactly the same. so a ReTro Valve is EXACTLY the same valve thats used in the RT PRO, and E-Mag. your interpritation of what the valve does is realitivly correct, with the recharging at full input line pressure, it virtually eliminates shootdown, and the way the valve is designed, uses the full line pressure to return the trigger to its start position, making it rather hard to short stroke, as for the chopped balls, it doesnt really reduce ball chops, because you can easily outshoot your loader and still chop, unless of course your running a warp feed, and/or halo. As for the classic RT, the valve is only slightly different from 'current' designs, but overall performs the same, its just been modified to be more universal for all AGD markers.

drx975
01-27-2002, 01:21 AM
I have been wondering this for awhile now, and I figured to ask here now. With a ReTro Valve, you fire once on the pull and once on release. And right now, I can whip out 7/8 a sec, and im sure I can get an easy 8 possibly at times 9 with that intelliframe. If I was to get a ReTro Valve, technically im gonna be shooting 16 a second. Thats insane. But this would mean I would be shooting too fast because I know that even the Warp can only get 14-16 second consitently. So do you people with a ReTro Valve or RT have this problem of out-shooting your warp/richochet/etc a lot? And would I almost have to have a Warp if I got the ReTro Valve? If so, that would suck, cause thats a lot of money, and in my opinion, warps are big, plus my feedtube would be on the wrong side, and in my way......

Mossman
01-27-2002, 02:21 AM
ummmm....what are you talking about drx975?

"With a ReTro Valve, you fire once on the pull and once on release. And right now, I can whip out 7/8 a sec...."

"I was to get a ReTro Valve, technically im gonna be shooting 16 a second. Thats insane..."

ummmmm the trigger doesnt pull itself 16 times a second...u need some info

Shaft
01-27-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by drx975
With a ReTro Valve, you fire once on the pull and once on release.

Nope, that's an autoresponse trigger. You see them pop up on the classifieds once in awhile.
From what I understand, today's double trigger frames can be fired just as fast. The AR frame has a terribly long trigger pull.

[NA]WARLORD
01-27-2002, 06:40 PM
A retro valve is just what evrybody says it is. Its an upgrade that permits Auto/Minimag users to upgrade to a valve used on the newer AGD guns. Its also the fastest shootin valve out, which means no shootdown ( no velocity drop off due to rapid firing ), and the ability to shoot in bursts due to the amount of input presssure going into the valve ( You must use an adjustable tank to achieve this, most presets will work but their limited in what the pressusre is set at due to factory settings). Also the another benefit is the Auto/Minimag is smaller in length making it a smaller overall gun for the front player in speedball.

As far as shootin on a pull then on the release, that was an older trigger frame known as a Response trigger real popular in the early to mid 90's. They are hard to come buy today, but I would suggest an Intelliframe from AGD over it since if something does go wrong with the frame it can be sent back for repairs.

As far as a choice they're the same thing, one is just longer than the other, but function the same. You wont go wrong with either.

drx975
01-27-2002, 09:38 PM
One time I was at this field, behind a bunker helping my teammate out. He asked me to hold his RT for some reason that I cant remember and hold off the enemy. So I figured I would fire a few down towards them since the RT fires faster. Well one fired on the pull and one on the release. This is where I got the idea that they fire once on pull and release, and then I also started seeing a lot of things saying that too. What's strange is thatthe RT that kid had looked exactly like every other RT. The frame was stock, everything was stock. The trigger pull was the same as any Mag. Can someone explain this? One other thing, does the ReTro Valve just push your finger back really hard then? And does it have a lighter pull?

[NA]WARLORD
01-27-2002, 09:48 PM
He had a response trigger frame on it, fires on pull and release. Yes, the RT/Retro valve pushes the trigger/finger back at same input pressure as the tank's input pressure. No, it doesnt make it any softer, if you want a softer trigger pull get a Benchmark trigger, however it will be a longer trigger pull as well, add in sloppy too.

drx975
01-27-2002, 09:51 PM
Ok it just seemed like any other Mag. Whatever. No benchy for me, Im gettin that intelliframe once I get HPA and a ricochet cause I keep outshooting my hopper.

Paintchucker
01-27-2002, 10:45 PM
If you had a slow trigger pull, you may have "lingered" on the sweet spot and had the Reactiveness of the Trigger kick in on you. I was playing around with my input pressure on my adjustable tank today and turned it up a little bit. It had a similiar effect. I think the Response Trigger had markings on it to indicate it was one on the back of the trigger frame.