PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the geo

DanMan
11-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I was looking at it today and thought it had some innovative features. I was wondering what you guys thought of it. Not that I can buy it new :rolleyes: but it seems like it has the potential to be a really good spoolie. Might pick a used one up in a year or two if they are cheap.

warbeak2099
11-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Not worth the money IMO. The Quest was just as efficient and used probably about 1 or 2 more dynamic o-rings. It's not that big of a step forward. I'm more interested in seeing what Cole from FEP comes up with next. He's gone independent from FEP and says he's designing something new.

PE just made a gun with little to no advantage over past spool designs and jacked the price up over $1k. Pretty frackin dumb IMO.

Hilltop Customs
11-02-2008, 09:03 PM
looks to be about the same as the hollowpoint bolt.

heres a link, cause I had no idea what you were talking about at first GEO (http://www.planeteclipse.com/egogeo/geo.html)

Not that I'd ever buy one....but how much do they run?

Toll
11-02-2008, 09:07 PM
"Why is PE making an ion?"

going_home
11-02-2008, 09:12 PM
They are awesome but they dont make them any more.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jc/images/98metro_cpe.jpg

;)

DanMan
11-02-2008, 09:15 PM
but a couple years down the road do you guys think it would be a good used marker?

Hilltop: 1300 i think

warbeak: the price is :tard: of course but not really that much more than a new dye right? Also seeing as there has not really been any innovation in general it is at least some what interesting.

Hilltop Customs
11-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Hilltop: 1300 i think

lol :rofl: thats a good one.

IDK, only differences I see are a 1 screw/rail connection for the frame to the body and a different style solenoid. It would be interesting to see the air paths through the noid assembly. Is there anything else?(I hope)

"All of the benifits of a spool valve marker, None of the drawbacks" .....anyone know what drawbacks are they talking about? and maybe how they are fixed in the Geo?

PS, I know this is a little picky, but there are a couple things that dont seem to be true on their sales page:

• 1 Moving Internal Part - they are only counting the bolt, but the noid moves also
• Minimum Number of Dynamic Seals - 3
There are 4 dynamic seals contacting the bolt: 2 o-rings on the bolt itself (front one is only to prevent blowback, but its still a dynamic seal even if it doesnt really have to be there), one on the external guide, and one on the bolt stem. This isnt even counting what looks to be 2 or maybe 3 dynamic o-rings used on the noid.

I'm still trying to figure out the air paths....looks to be 4 seperate areas on the manifold gasket.....I would think there would only need to be 3, unless they are routing the dump air through the manifold.

I'm curious as to what this is too:
ISCIS (Innovative Solenoid Controlled Isolation System) Mechanism

DanMan
11-02-2008, 10:00 PM
lol :rofl: thats a good one.
:confused:

Hilltop Customs
11-02-2008, 10:02 PM
meaning I think its a little overpriced :)

£773.02 is about $1250

spwz99
11-02-2008, 10:48 PM

From what I have read about the new solenoid design, it seems they use the solenoid itself to seal air off from venting after/between shots rather than an o-ring on the bolt.

This is one reason they are claiming to have significantly reduced fsdo and other cold weather problems spoolies are plagued with: fewer o-rings on the bolt.

DanMan
11-02-2008, 10:54 PM
meaning I think its a little overpriced :)

£773.02 is about $1250

still :confused:

DanMan
11-02-2008, 10:59 PM
From what I have read about the new solenoid design, it seems they use the solenoid itself to seal air off from venting after/between shots rather than an o-ring on the bolt.

This is one reason they are claiming to have significantly reduced fsdo and other cold weather problems spoolies are plagued with: fewer o-rings on the bolt.

yes, this was the most interesting part of the gun. I wonder if a electro pneu mag retro fit could be made using this principle

d4m4don3
11-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Frankly I think all the companies have hit a plateau in market share. Planet's just the latest to get into the spool valve scene since they've pretty much dominated the poppet valve'd markers in the past few years. They're just following other models like Dye making a sear tripper (SLG), and also goiing to the market with the dye rotor in the hopper market.

It's all about the almighty dollar, Planet's peaked with the popularity of their ego and their softlines so they're branching out to the spool valved marker arena hoping to make more money and expand their market share. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with their own tanks,hoppers or an entry level marker in the years to come. It's business guys. :cool:

snoopay700
11-03-2008, 01:38 AM
They are awesome but they dont make them any more.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jc/images/98metro_cpe.jpg

;)
They are only awesome when they can blow the doors off a mustang, which i've heard of haha.

ElPanda
11-03-2008, 05:55 PM

gas isolation mechanism built in with the solenoid so that while the marker is firing there is no air being routed into the dump chamber (which would make the efficiency plummet)

snoopay700
11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
gas isolation mechanism built in with the solenoid so that while the marker is firing there is no air being routed into the dump chamber (which would make the efficiency plummet)
I can think of easier ways to do that mechanically.

ElPanda
11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I can think of easier ways to do that mechanically.
tell planet eclipse not me ;)

snoopay700
11-03-2008, 06:10 PM
tell planet eclipse not me ;)
Oh i know, but i'm just saying it's stupid to do it that way, it drives up costs, or at lest what you can charge, though, but it's a waste to use the electricity to do that when you can use the bolt or something else.

Hilltop Customs
11-03-2008, 06:25 PM
so what I'm getting out of this is its an ion with a hollopoint bolt and an on/off for the dump chamber instead of the ions free flow.

snoopay700, it would be possible to use the noid's pressure output to operate an on/off.....using no more battery power, and only a tiny bit more air. It would be similar to a pneumag(excluding the bolt catch on sear) combind with an ion.

I'm still interested to see how exactly the noid assembly works.

snoopay700
11-03-2008, 06:42 PM
so what I'm getting out of this is its an ion with a hollopoint bolt and an on/off for the dump chamber instead of the ions free flow.

snoopay700, it would be possible to use the noid's pressure output to operate an on/off.....using no more battery power, and only a tiny bit more air. It would be similar to a pneumag(excluding the bolt catch on sear) combind with an ion.

I'm still interested to see how exactly the noid assembly works.
I didn't think about that, but yeah that could work too. Either way i'd still rather do it mechanically cause it's easier.

drewkroeker
11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
All I can say about this is DON'T BUY INTO THE HYPE! (probably not a problem for people on this forum) Planet Eclipse always tells us how their latest gun is the greatest thing since semi auto. I'm not saying their products aren't good quality, I just think all their claims of how the geo is so much better need to be taken with a grain of salt. If someone from this forum tried one out and was really impressed and found the geo lived up to the hype, then I would consider buying one (one year later when there are used ones for sale).

DanMan
11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Well everything is hyped these days, and the prices PE charges are ridiculous by any standards. My interest was mainly in hearing what people who know better about spool markers thought about it, so i could determine if it was something to be on the look out for when they start coming up used for cheap in a year or so. The mechanism is interesting nonetheless as another way to do a spool, wether or not it actually is an improvment.

pk5
11-04-2008, 01:25 PM
When a company invent heat seaking paintball then i'll be interested.

But right now the market seem to reach it peak potential as far as paintball goes. With all day air and a 68/45 making a marker more efficient is not enough to justified the price change.

spwz99
11-04-2008, 02:39 PM
My biggest complaints about spool valves are cold weather performance and FSDO.

If the Geo has solved these half as well as they claim, (I believe I remember reading on the Nation that in testing it was shootng in weather so cold you couldn't hold the gun with your bare hand without bolt stick. :ninja: ) I will be picking one up used when they get cheap enough.