PDA

View Full Version : Classic Mag single trigger questions

Konigballer
11-04-2008, 08:10 PM
This is for all the older Mag users, or guys that still run their classic mag with the stock carbon fiber single trigger frame.

What bps,more or less, can you hit on a classic mag single trigger?

Does the single trigger have a break in period before it lightes up a little?

Whats the pull like? Heavy, light, loose in sloppy or tight & crisp?

I'm not looking to when BPS contest on the field, I'm just curious!
I have multiple memories of mag guys dumping paint on me back in the 90's with the stock trigger. However, when you read older reviews of mags, on pbreview mostly circa '00-'04 era, alot of guys complain about the trigger pull? I was thinking, the Mag built it's reputation back then partly because of its higher ROF compared to lesser semi's and pumps, so wtf? So did players ideas of a 'sweet' trigger just change so much with the advent of mouse click electros that our general perception changed?

Sumthinwicked
11-04-2008, 08:18 PM
i do 3 round bursts with mine all the time put the sear rod close to the trig and it lightens it alot i would go against any ego or other marker with a stock micro ANY DAY OF THE WEEK air valve not even rt or x halo and comp air is a must though

mr doo doo
11-04-2008, 08:28 PM
i love classic mags for their feel and durability, which is why i prefer them over RT valves. the trigger pull is heavy compared to electros or semi spyders, but its nice and crisp: one quick pull of the trigger, and release. with single trigger, i can go as fast as like 3-4 BPS, haha, but with a modded CF frame and a double trigger, like 5-6 i'll guess.

Sumthinwicked
11-04-2008, 08:31 PM
8 bps all day faster if you huff it

snoopay700
11-04-2008, 09:20 PM
8 bps all day faster if you huff it
That's optimistic.

Usually 6 bps is about the peak for most people, there was a pro back in the day that could hit 9 bps, man, that was blistering speed back then. But yeah, for most people, 5-6 bps is normal if you've got adrenaline pumping.

Sumthinwicked
11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
i have fast arms i was a very lonely boy ;D normal average is 8bps from a warpig posting 6 years ago ? i forgot when though i dont pull the trigg i straight finger and shake my arm back and forth hard to splain ... i can double sick crazy but im faster with benchmarks ;)

snoopay700
11-04-2008, 09:24 PM
i have fast arms i was a very lonely boy ;D normal average is 8bps from a warpig posting 6 years ago ? i forgot when though i dont pull the trigg i straight finger and shake my arm back and forth hard to splain ... i can double sick crazy but im faster with benchmarks ;)
That's different though, shooting like that you can reach 8 bps but it's not as accurate, i'm talking actually pulling the trigger, the peak is about 5 bps, 6 if you have adrenaline pumping. This seems to go along with the whole thing about how the peak for people is pretty much 15 bps on an electronic marker, and actually 13 for most people.

Watcher
11-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Fanning the trigger...

I can fan my tippmann 98 with a stock trigger just under 12bps.

As far as 'mags go all I've ever shot was my RT classic with a benchy double and my friend's e-mag...

But yeah, simple pull and release, like 6-8 is the max.

snoopay700
11-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Fanning the trigger...

I can fan my tippmann 98 with a stock trigger just under 12bps.
I'm calling shens on this.

Sumthinwicked
11-04-2008, 09:32 PM
:rolleyes: u call shens on everything but 12 bps herm i never saw a tippy do that with outa lot of help

snoopay700
11-04-2008, 10:14 PM
:rolleyes: u call shens on everything but 12 bps herm i never saw a tippy do that with outa lot of help
No, i call shens on bullcrap, and that's all i call shens on. The thing you're referring to i called shens on because it was an unfounded claim, like this one.

BiNumber3
11-05-2008, 12:21 AM
hmm, coulda sworn i could shoot higher than 8bps, albeit incredibly inaccurately, ill have to check some day:P then again i shoot a single trigger the same way i shoot a double when goin for speed

as for the trigger, all my mags are very crisp, classic or rt, n dependin on how u set your trigger rod n whatnot u can change it a bit, not much but enough. and i do believe there is a break-in period, not too sure tho as i havent had new o-rings in my valves for quite a while:D

as for comparison, well, i suck with comparisons, i just prefer the mag pull over all the cockers, blowbacks n electros i played around with

Sumthinwicked
11-05-2008, 12:26 AM
but i would back up mine LOL his has to be shens

snoopay700
11-05-2008, 12:39 AM
but i would back up mine LOL his has to be shens
You never backed yours up, but we're not going to go into that. ;)

Watcher
11-05-2008, 03:01 AM
No, i call shens on bullcrap, and that's all i call shens on. The thing you're referring to i called shens on because it was an unfounded claim, like this one.

Do you want me to send you the goldwave :D lemme see if I can dig it up... I'll re-rip the audio if you want serious proof, I'll back this up.

I am seriously, It was like 11.43 shots in one second. I videotaped it, ripped the audio, got a wave pattern, and counted the amplitude spikes. I even slowed the sound to half speed and counted it over 2 seconds so I'd be sure I would count every spike.

Before I go digging for old pictures of goldwave patterns lemme link this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8RxRt8yPzM). Boring video so skip to about 4:20. There was a problem with the audio at the half speed section but it resumes when the text appears. Listen and watch the time, you count six in one second at the half speed? I do...

If you have anything to shen, even though I did say stock trigger there is a stipulation. It is a stock trigger, sear, sear spring, bolt, and bolt spring but I used a lighter trigger return spring, a larger diameter trigger pin, and I made a well tuned trigger stop for the post pull.
The entire mechanism is stock and mechanical, I just made the trigger a bit smoother and gave it less slop.
Nothing aftermarket, so it is a stock trigger...

Konigballer
11-05-2008, 08:35 AM
bluh, don't care about your 98, only asked about the stock classic trigger frame.

Everybodyelse, thanks for the info! :)

snoopay700
11-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Do you want me to send you the goldwave :D lemme see if I can dig it up... I'll re-rip the audio if you want serious proof, I'll back this up.

I am seriously, It was like 11.43 shots in one second. I videotaped it, ripped the audio, got a wave pattern, and counted the amplitude spikes. I even slowed the sound to half speed and counted it over 2 seconds so I'd be sure I would count every spike.

Before I go digging for old pictures of goldwave patterns lemme link this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8RxRt8yPzM). Boring video so skip to about 4:20. There was a problem with the audio at the half speed section but it resumes when the text appears. Listen and watch the time, you count six in one second at the half speed? I do...

If you have anything to shen, even though I did say stock trigger there is a stipulation. It is a stock trigger, sear, sear spring, bolt, and bolt spring but I used a lighter trigger return spring, a larger diameter trigger pin, and I made a well tuned trigger stop for the post pull.
The entire mechanism is stock and mechanical, I just made the trigger a bit smoother and gave it less slop.
Nothing aftermarket, so it is a stock trigger...
I'd have to gold wave it myself or see it goldwaved, but it doesn't sound like it's up at that speed, but hey i could be wrong, using youtube to time it and count is a horrible process for doing it though.

Watcher
11-05-2008, 10:34 PM
bluh, don't care about your 98, only asked about the stock classic trigger frame.

Everybodyelse, thanks for the info! :)

Sorry about that, just trying to prove a point :rolleyes:

I think the main problem with trying to shoot fast with a classic would be short stroking it. I know I have a hell of a time just trying not to SS my friend's e-mag in mech, lol.

Yeah, I know youtube does wonders for the video quality. I really should shoot it over a chrono and see how many bps I get. Then I'd know for sure... and I'll videotape the process...
Feel free to goldwave it, its a free download.

snoopay700
11-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Sorry about that, just trying to prove a point :rolleyes:

I think the main problem with trying to shoot fast with a classic would be short stroking it. I know I have a hell of a time just trying not to SS my friend's e-mag in mech, lol.

Yeah, I know youtube does wonders for the video quality. I really should shoot it over a chrono and see how many bps I get. Then I'd know for sure... and I'll videotape the process...
Feel free to goldwave it, its a free download.
I'll do it when i have time to get the program again.

Dover
11-08-2008, 05:00 PM
actually that is a good question and it is funny no-one has done a review of the stock Airgun Designs Carbon Fiber grip frame on PbReview.com

I started with the original metal frame, and cut the trigger frame to accomodate a double trigger. Later the bottomline screw threads stripped out so I got another metal frame (and cut the trigger frame on that one too, and stripped the bottomline screw threads :cry: )

I am using a stock CF frame now, with old-school single-hole VL grips. The stock carbon fiber trigger has a wide surface area so it tends to wobble less from side to side, providing a nice smooth pull.

I also have a Benchmark double-finger grip frame (thanks Correia) and will be mounting and testing it ASAP, and am currently waiting for an RT Pro to arrive; it has an AGD Intelliframe, but I was thinking of making it a poor man's E-Mag with a Hyperframe

The trigger pull all depends on the set up. Spacer kits are for fine-tuning to avoid bolt-stick. Different trigger geometry, valve on-off, bolt springs, and even input pressure are variable.