PDA

View Full Version : Woodsball game today.....

punkncat
11-16-2008, 10:56 PM
I played my first "full day" woodsball game today in well over a year. (I got to warm up a bit at AOS2) Couldn't play last season (obviously) and much of the guys who I play with on this renegade field did not play either. So it was pretty much the first one for all of us in a while. hehe, I even got the wife out to play for the first time in years, right after selling her marker.

The field held up pretty well. It needs a little bit of work. We played it without doing too much so that we would have an idea of what to concentrate on immediately, and what could wait. Some of the bunkers need to be rebuilt, and some just recovered and revamped a little.

In between gun break downs and issues, we ran a pretty decent number of games. Having been a while since playing last, a lot of peoples markers had minor problems. Leaks, needing lubed, reset and retuned, etc.
My sons marker broke down in the middle of a game. The wife was playing with my Mini, and lost the board pack in the middle of a bunch of heavy leaves. Not knowing better, as the gun just "quit shooting" she walks back to the staging area. It took three people almost a half hour of looking around for it. Just as we were about to give up, one of the other guys comes walking out to see what was taking us, and walks right up on it thank goodness.
My buddies son has a Proto Rail that I just took in to be repaired. It shot three shots and refused to shoot any more all day. My sons marker I thought had snapped a sear....I found out later It had a slightly loose frame screw. The marker my daughter used wouldn't stop leaking all day, my buddies A5 broke the feed cog in the cyclone...just one thing after another. Lucky for us, the host had a cache of Tippy 98's as backup, so we were all able to get back underway.

I got quite a few eliminations. Was eliminated a few good times as well, including being surrendered by my son. I walked right up on him, never saw him, nor he me. I started taking fire from someone else, he turns to look and I am standing almost on top of his position down in a ditch. He took one shot at me, and when I heard how close he was I opted to concede the victory to him. I didn't even know where he was until after I surrendered.
One spot in particular I had found behind a tree just off of a high traffic area. I stood behind the tree really still and would just wait for people to walk by and whack them. I got five eliminations in that game alone. It is amazing how you can hide in such an open and obvious place just by being still and quiet.

One of the guys decided on the last game of the day to run out on the field in nothing but a cup. It had to be sub 50* out. We wanted to shoot him up so bad, that it ended up being our downfall. He was able to escape unscathed....lol

Well, won't go on forever about it.....I was really grateful to get to play. I had almost forgotten how fun a good renegade rec day was. I am looking really forward to next month when we do it again.

Watcher
11-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Lost the mini's board?! :tard:

Wow, that is a lot of gun issues. I went with a few friends to a park and I brought my piranha, trracer, and pistol and a buddy of mine brought his A-5 and Trracer.
Amost the same stuff was happening!
His A-5 snapped a ratchet so it would feed once every few shots if that and his Trracer was leaking out the valve bottle-threads for some reason so both his markers were out of it.
My Piranha was having re-cocking issues half the day and the other half it was shredding ball detents and I ran out of replacements (I used like 3), so that was down.
My delta had shot the the spring in the valve to eject the 12grams out during a bad de-gas so that was unusable. PLus I forgot the 10rnd tubes for reloading it :rolleyes:

I ended up using my trracer which was the only working marker between us and my friend dealt with the piranha rolling out, misfiring, and breaking paint. Needless to say, it was still a fun day :clap:
Now his A-5 is fixed up with a metal ratchet, his Trracer is fixed, he picked up a 'mag, my delta has a new spring, my piranha was eventually sold for an ION which was traded for a 'Mag, and I remember to pack up my 98 for each game now along with the Trracer.
After that I'm all Semper Perattus and bring like 5 markers, 2 masks, tons of pods, a pak or two, spare parts just short of a rebuild kit (no bolts or anything like that but tons of detents, spare screws, springs, o-rings, lube, etc), and generally pack up an old suitcase/dufflebag with around 70lbs of gear.
Do the same thing when I go biking too, just it isn't as heavy :p Just a tools kit and a camelbak with spare tubes, a chain, brake pads, a caliper, first aid kit, tools for everything, air pump, tire guage, valve parts, stem caps, brake cable, etc...

Playing outlaw is great fun, just be sure you have at least one chronograph between everyone, make sure everyone plays safe and keeps their goggles on unless EVERYONE else has a barrel sock on, and be sure to adhere to the local laws as much as possible ;)
I used to play with my friends in this nice half wooded, half shubbery, and half open field which was bordered by a long ditch and an expressway on one side, another ditch, a tall fence, heavy trees, an old parking lot, and a popeye's chicken on another side, and thick trees and some houses on two other sides. We'd park in the old lot, go through the hole in the fence, and cross the ditch to play.
Everytime we saw someone in a house watching us we'd sock up, wave, put the markers down, and walk over to say hi and explain what we were doing and asked if they minded us being there. They were all just curious and since we were being safe and weren't shooting the houses they didn't care that we were there. Someone moved though and the guy who bought the house was upset about it so we stopped going there.
We lost a field but hopefully our actions regarding the man's concern gave paintballers a good name.

2fast2smart
11-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Playing outlaw is great fun

FTW
I've never been a big fan of the fields, especially around here, they charge an arm and a leg, and most are FPO. I am a dedicated outlaw baller, and I love it.

Watcher
11-17-2008, 12:36 AM
I actually have some really nice fields around here. One I go to (fox river games) is $30 all day air and entry, BYOP, and they have field paint for $40 a case. The fields are fun, the staff is great, and the players are respectful. Its great.

Another field, CPX, has really expensive paint ($92 a case) but the fields are really cool (full paved and built vilages, a burned down village, a car "wasteland", etc) and entry is cheap. Plus they have full facilities, running water, and other attractions.

When you factor in bringing bottled water and some snacks to Fox, buying some paint, using the gas to get there and paying the entry fee it ends up around $100 and it's about the same at CPX when you leave the water and food and just show up so it sounds worse than it is.

It does get expensive though, but think of how expensive it'll be if for some reasons cops catch you, confiscate your gear, and fine you.
Outlaw is fun, but it has it's limitations.

jade_monkey07
11-17-2008, 09:24 AM
and that why you shouldnt have gotten rid of all your mags...

DanMan
11-17-2008, 09:50 AM
I actually have some really nice fields around here. One I go to (fox river games) is $30 all day air and entry, BYOP, and they have field paint for $40 a case. The fields are fun, the staff is great, and the players are respectful. Its great.

Another field, CPX, has really expensive paint ($92 a case) but the fields are really cool (full paved and built vilages, a burned down village, a car "wasteland", etc) and entry is cheap. Plus they have full facilities, running water, and other attractions.

When you factor in bringing bottled water and some snacks to Fox, buying some paint, using the gas to get there and paying the entry fee it ends up around $100 and it's about the same at CPX when you leave the water and food and just show up so it sounds worse than it is.

It does get expensive though, but think of how expensive it'll be if for some reasons cops catch you, confiscate your gear, and fine you.
Outlaw is fun, but it has it's limitations.

Is playing outlaw illegal? :confused:

BigEvil
11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
If I ever played against punkncat in the woods, I would bring out my metal detector. :D

:dance:

TeamBob
11-17-2008, 11:00 AM
i must be spoiled then, $10 for all day air, $10 field fee (which drops if u buy a case of paint from them) Great paint rangeing from $40-$60. And u can bring your own paint. Did i mention 10 large fields, includeing a huge life like town, Full size castle, a netted 10 man airball field WITH TURF :wow: . And a very nice proshop, I can have a great day of fun for about $50 bux! :bounce: O, and its all 4 mins from my house.

check it out, www.skylinepaintball.com

2fast2smart
11-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Is playing outlaw illegal? :confused:

in state parks, and private property, yes. But there are many places where it's not.
There is an undeveloped area right in the middle of the city, that people play on all the time, it is surrounded by suburbia, but the cops never show up. Peoples fear and ignorance lead to an inaccurate stigma around outlaw. But in truth, if you're smart, and you know the laws in your city, you'll be fine.

MKing
11-17-2008, 02:41 PM
in state parks, and private property, yes.

And also if you are running around in only a cup.

DanMan
11-17-2008, 04:20 PM
in state parks, and private property, yes. But there are many places where it's not.
There is an undeveloped area right in the middle of the city, that people play on all the time, it is surrounded by suburbia, but the cops never show up. Peoples fear and ignorance lead to an inaccurate stigma around outlaw. But in truth, if you're smart, and you know the laws in your city, you'll be fine.

So me playing on my 68 acres in the middle of MI is illegal? But playing on a public land isnt? Not that i am going to stop either way.

Watcher
11-17-2008, 06:44 PM
... since it is your property it is fine. Do what you want.

Public land would be illegal, as well as city property, but unincorperated land would be fine.

Just check your town's laws on tresspassing and vandalism and see where you can go.

The major thing is will it put people in danger or not. People walk dogs, ride horses, hike, and ride bikes in forest preserves so it would be illegal there, for example.

The next thing is will it damage property. If there is nothing to be damaged it is fine, if you are shooting near houses it could be considered vandalism.

And the final thing is how people are concerned with it. If people see you and get scared or are worried about getting hurt by you they can and WILL call the cops and they will at the least make you leave and at the worst take your gear, fine you, and keep a watchful eye out.

If you do enough research on the area, use markers that generally don't resemble firearms, or just make sure it is well away from anything then you will be fine.

2fast2smart
11-17-2008, 07:17 PM
It is NOT Illegal to play paintball on public land, it's public for a reason, because it's open to the public. No of course, if you are on public land, and you are conducting yourself in a way that endangers others, regardless of whether you are paintballing, or 4wheelingi, you can get in trouble.

Watcher
11-17-2008, 07:28 PM
It is NOT Illegal to play paintball on public land, it's public for a reason, because it's open to the public. No of course, if you are on public land, and you are conducting yourself in a way that endangers others, regardless of whether you are paintballing, or 4wheelingi, you can get in trouble.

Thats the ticket.

If I grab my markers and my buddy and go down my block to the playground and have a battle on the swing set it is disturbing the peace, public enangerment, possibly vandalism/distruction of property, and I'm sure a few more things.
Sure it isn't illegal to play paintball on public property, but it involves illegal actions.
Not to mention that brandishing a "weapon" is a way to be sure you get the game cancelled quickly.

Same thing like playing baseball in the middle of a busy city street. Sure it isn't illegal, but it still leads to trouble, and possible injury and destruction of property.

olinar
11-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Thats the ticket.

If I grab my markers and my buddy and go down my block to the playground and have a battle on the swing set it is disturbing the peace, public enangerment, possibly vandalism/distruction of property, and I'm sure a few more things.
Sure it isn't illegal to play paintball on public property, but it involves illegal actions.
Not to mention that brandishing a "weapon" is a way to be sure you get the game cancelled quickly.

Same thing like playing baseball in the middle of a busy city street. Sure it isn't illegal, but it still leads to trouble, and possible injury and destruction of property.

You just have to be smart about where you play.

A piece of undeveloped land between some houses would be a terrible choice.

A desert that stretches a mile in each direction is probably a good spot, Luckily Az is full of exactly those kinds of places. :)

punkncat
11-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Lol, well now that the drama has died down a touch...you guys are done right?....

We play on a privately owned field in a buddies "back yard". We have been playing there since around 97. First place I ever played. The whole field is marked with survey tape, and he has signs posted all the way around the field along the line of warning games in progress. All the neighbors know and approve of what is going on. Actually many of the neighbors kids either have or do play with us.
We use a chronograph, follow all safety procedure, have a ten foot rule in place. We are self reffing. If there comes a point where someone needs a paintcheck we will even pause the game so that the nearest player can come look.

It has been working well for years.

I DO NOT suggest that any paintball is played anywhere without the express permission of the landowner, and possibly the blessings of the local PD, or without minimum safety equipment like a chrono.

We had a great little field set up on a water "pipeline" right of way in the woods near a buddies house. Had the permission of the local water dept to play on it and everything. Turns out that a fellow in the 'hood had purchased that bit of land, did not want us playing there, and we almost had all our gear confiscated by the police and ourselves jailed.

Another spot that we played was in an old county works area. Had a bunch of old crumbling concrete buildings and old access roads. Great spot to play. The area was not posted, nor di we warn that we were playing there. Turns out that it was used by residents as a "nature park" of sorts, and would walk their dogs and whatnot. One afternoon a guy comes walking through with his dog and got lit up by a few of the players. It was only through much explaination, and promises not to be there again that several people avoided criminal charges and lockup.

Point is, don't play somewhere just because it "seems" like a cool place. Make sure it is. Do a little footwork and get the permission you need. Make sure others are not just going to stumble on a game unprotected and put themselves in danger's way.

usagi_tetsu
11-18-2008, 11:32 AM
I know the feeling of making it to the field and having one problem after another keep creeping up on you. Recently, I got to play paintball twice (which was about the 3rd and 4th time this year I've flung paint) and the first time didn't go too badly, but the last time was just not my day. The first time I had brought out no less than 5 markers and the accompanying pieces to the field, and didn't need to pull one backup out of the bag, not one! The second time, I only brought three markers, and having loaned one of them to one of my friends for the day, wouldn't you know that my remaining two markers would both go down in flames. My Automag Classic tears a powertube tip o-ring with no spares in the bag, and then my drop-dead backup ProLite wears out it's ball latch and hammer o-ring, also no spares in the bag or pro shop. *sigh* Two of the most reliable markers in all of paintball, and they both decide to shoot craps on me. I played about 5 games with the dysfunctional ProLite as I couldn't even get the 'mag to hold air, and still managed to mark out about 2 or 3 people each game until my friend decided she didn't want to play anymore and I got my ProCarbine back and played the rest of the day with that.

Still, even after all that, had a fun day of paintball, as it's always fun to make people surrender just thru sheer force of voice. I cheat though - I'm an Army Sergeant, and I can get people to listen to me. *evil grin*