PDA

View Full Version : multi feed problem

Old Dog
11-23-2008, 06:59 PM
I have a Tac1 with a Longbow/Qbow kit installed that will sometimes shoot multiple balls will a single shot (as in shotgun style, not a auto burst). I've also noticed that sometimes a ball is sitting in the barrel - which would partly explain the situation.

The Tac1 is only a few months old and was working fine until I

1. Changed my air bottle regulator for a higher pressure (nitro duck 1000psi)
2. Installed the Qbow kit

Initially I thought it was the Qloader so I reduced the # preload turns, but no luck. I even tried using a tube feed (instead of the Qloader), but still saw multiple feeds. I'm beginning to think it is related to the input pressure (1000psi), but I can't understand how this would cause multiple feeds.

Can anyone explain this? About 70% of the time it works as intended, but then I get 2 or even 3 balls in a single shot - which are obviously slower and off course. This happens even with very slow fire. And yes, sometimes (rare) a ball will break on a multi feed, which really messes things up (pun intended).

Thanks,
Mark

jrod
11-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Is the detent stuck or sticking?

Old Dog
11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Is the detent stuck or sticking?

Douh! (head slap). Try completely missing! :eek:

The Aluminum housing that holds the detent ball is damaged on one side, like it was struck by the piston/spring. However, I don't see any obvious marks on the piston or spring to indicate they struck the detent ball. That said, it is quite obvious the spring must have struck the detent ball and sheered off the retaining lip. Any idea what would cause this or how to prevent it in the future?

BTW - when this first happened I checked to make certain the detent ball was screwed in...it never occurred to me that the ball could be missing from the housing..wow.

Thanks,
Mark

Watcher
11-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Just make sure the detent isn't screwed in too far. If you had to use a tool it is in too tight.

When you replace it, before you put the body back on the gun push the bolt through it with no spring to see if it catches on anything. The detent should be in just enough to stop a paintball from being pushed/rolling out of the barrel. Any more and you can get these problems or just premature wear.

Old Dog
11-24-2008, 01:11 PM
After examining it more closely, it appears the ball detent retainer was simply poorly manufactured. There is a very thin lip that keeps the ball and spring from leaving the screw cap, and this lip was machined too thin. After very limited use, the pressure of the spring appears to have forced the ball past (through) this lip. I can actually peal the remaining lip away like a shrink wrap seal on a jar - it is that thin.

Oh well, off to my local PB store to see if they have any suitable replacements in stock.

2fast2smart
11-24-2008, 01:29 PM
spring for a killa, the adjustability is really helpful when dealing with varying feed force from loaders like longbow and qloader.