PDA

View Full Version : HPA & CO2 questions.

Nom Carver
11-24-2008, 04:45 PM
For a classic valve to run on HPA, do I need to replace the piston with a high pressure piston?
Also, is there any special way you have to have your mag set up for it to run on CO2, since I'll probably be running both depending on where I'm playing. I know that the classic valve itself will handle CO2, but do I need a Palmers stabilizer or anything like that?

Thanks.

Spider-TW
11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
For a classic valve to run on HPA, do I need to replace the piston with a high pressure piston?
Also, is there any special way you have to have your mag set up for it to run on CO2, since I'll probably be running both depending on where I'm playing. I know that the classic valve itself will handle CO2, but do I need a Palmers stabilizer or anything like that?

Thanks.
I think it is 'uncommon' to need a new piston for HPA. I had a rather old 68Automag valve on HPA with no changes and had no problems with two others, but it happens.

For CO2, you just need an arrangement that will keep liquid out of the line. An expansion chamber is relatively maintenance free and reliable.

A palmers stab helps you stage the heat absorption of the CO2 as it drops in pressure. Instead of dropping ~900psi to 425psi in your mag, the stab drops 900psi to 650 psi or so and lets it pick up some heat from the hose. Then your mag drops the 650 to 425, cutting the heat loss in the valve and shifting it to the stab and the hose. A stab on a remote bottle is about as clean (dry) as CO2 can get.

On the other hand, I stuck a 20 oz bottle on a minimag configuration and dropped about 500 balls in a 10 minute 'hyperball' (constant re-insertion) game. Not even 1 bps, but the bottle was iced over quite well and the velocity had dropped badly. With just a macro line from the vert adapter, there was no ice on the line or the valve and no function problems besides no pressure.

Nom Carver
11-24-2008, 07:30 PM
My air goes from the ASA, thru a macroline, into a gas thru grip, thru a steel braided line to the valve. Would this work? Again most of the time I'll be running HPA, but when I play in my friends wooded property, if I run out of HPA I'm stuck with CO2 for the rest of day.

Beemer
11-24-2008, 09:33 PM
You will be fine if you remember to drop your ROF if you have to switch to CO2.

Say like three ball snap shoot tops. The faster you shoot the more likely to draw liquid CO2 and that will malfunction the valve. If that happens just warm up the valve by sticking it under your arm pit and you can recover, just dont try and shoot so FAST with CO2. :cheers:

secretweaponevan
11-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Also remember that if you don't have an on/off ASA that you need to screw the gun onto the tank, not the tank onto the gun or your anti-siphon will siphon straight liquid into the gun. :eek: