PDA

View Full Version : CO2 in RT valve

Watcher
11-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Everyone knows that a RT valve can not use CO2, it even says so right on the rail. I'm not one to argue, I have a very nice Crossfire 68/4500 for my mags...
But why?

Is it somehow bad for the system? Will it damage something? Is it potentially dangerous?

Or does it just freeze in the valve because it moves too fast?

Like, if I wanted to use CO2 to air up and pressure-check an o-ring replacement or airline fitting at the least, can it be done without requiring a whole valve overhaul?

If it can be aired up, is there a ROF or shot number I should be aware of so I can stop before something potentially bad happens?

Thanx.

michbich
11-25-2008, 05:34 PM
The RT would allow the liquid CO2 in the valve. Liquid CO2 is not goo for oring. The valve can be modified to accept CO2, but i don't know how.

Spider-TW
11-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Search for 12 gram pump mag and x-valve. Someone on here has a modded x-valve for playing 12 gram. That should give you an idea about the firing rate it is used for.

I think the general problem is that the RT reg will start to fill the valve faster than the CO2 expands. After it gets into the valve, it expands and over pressures the low side seals, which at a minimum would compress them tighter than usual.

snoopay700
11-25-2008, 06:05 PM
It has to do with how fast the valve recharges. In a pump mag the ROF is low enough that it's not a problem, but the CO2 can't turn into gas fast enough for normal operation and it will freeze the gun up and cause leaks. Pretty much it won't work with the valve if you're shooting more than 1 bps or so i would think, which they figued out which is why they made HPA for the marker.

Watcher
11-25-2008, 06:13 PM
K, that's what I thought.

So it should be fine for an air up, but no shooting?

snoopay700
11-25-2008, 06:26 PM
K, that's what I thought.

So it should be fine for an air up, but no shooting?
Do it at your own risk, i've done it but i'm always scared to do so haha, but from what i've heard no bad side effects should come from it. Mine worked fine after i aired it up with co2

Watcher
11-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Alright.

Thanks for the comments guys! I just wanted to air it up because I replaced some of the o-rings I neglected when I first went and tore down the valve (on/off internal, reg piston, etc). Having expended all my HPA at the moment I wanted to be sure before I screwed in the 20oz...

snoopay700
11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Alright.

Thanks for the comments guys! I just wanted to air it up because I replaced some of the o-rings I neglected when I first went and tore down the valve (on/off internal, reg piston, etc). Having expended all my HPA at the moment I wanted to be sure before I screwed in the 20oz...
Yeah that's why i did it, and i only did it for a second after i saw the trigger rod push out.