PDA

View Full Version : Level 10 springs-Rt pro

Jim2752
12-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Which spring should I use? Right now the gold spring that is a lot smaller then the others is in there. I remember when I gave my guns to a friend so he could tune them he said I should change the spring but I forget why.
I have another gold spring (looks like the same size) and two silver springs. One with a cut coil.
I have a lot of those gold things in the pic.(#4) and I also have all the other little things (#1-6) but I don't know what is level 10 and what is stock. Can someone give some tips on how to get the best setup?

http://automagsuk.com/otherimages/115.JPG

michbich
12-01-2008, 11:49 PM
The different spring determines the amount of force used to counteract the force from the air pushing forward when a shot is fired. So the lighter spring will give less resistance and thus be harder on paint.

Having a spring too light enables the bolt to chop. Having a spring too heavy prevents the bolt from going forward. So the trick is to find the one that is softest on paint but still fully cycles.

I think i have the middle spring in mine. Just try one out, see if it fully cycles. If it does, set it to the right velocity and remove the barrel. Put in a wooden spatula against the bolt and fire. If your spatula goes through the wall, your spring is too light.

Jim2752
12-02-2008, 12:05 AM
The different spring determines the amount of force used to counteract the force from the air pushing forward when a shot is fired. So the lighter spring will give less resistance and thus be harder on paint.

Having a spring too light enables the bolt to chop. Having a spring too heavy prevents the bolt from going forward. So the trick is to find the one that is softest on paint but still fully cycles.

I think i have the middle spring in mine. Just try one out, see if it fully cycles. If it does, set it to the right velocity and remove the barrel. Put in a wooden spatula against the bolt and fire. If your spatula goes through the wall, your spring is too light.

http://automagsuk.com/level10.html
On this website it says to use the middle spring too.
So after doing some reading I think I should use the spring with the cut coil (middle spring) two shims and the largest carrier thats snug and doesn't leak. Does everyone agree?

Looper
12-02-2008, 06:53 AM
two shims

While tuning the carrier you do not want to use any shims. I've been told to only use shims if your bolt does not reset after it an anti chop event. I have also heard that 2 is pretty standard number to have. They control the timing of the air escaping from the chamber.

Can anyone confirm this.

michbich
12-02-2008, 07:44 AM
I'd start with 2 shims.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0mvr30jKhw

athomas
12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Start with no shims. If there is a problem with the bolt stopping on an object in front of it and not resetting (not bolt stick, thats totally different), then add shims.

Jim2752
12-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Start with no shims. If there is a problem with the bolt stopping on an object in front of it and not resetting (not bolt stick, thats totally different), then add shims.

How would I know if its not resetting?

Looper
12-03-2008, 09:08 PM
How would I know if its not resetting?
if you can not get the bolt to reset unless you remove your air source, or turn off your ASA, then the bolt is not resetting. The bolt not resetting may not happen all the time but enough to cause doubt and uncertainty.

Basically the bolt not resetting is caused by the air pressure behind the bolt is equal to the force of the spring in front of the bolt and the LVL 10 vent hole is not far enough forward to allow the air behind the bolt to vent off. By adding shims you are moving the o-ring carrier seal back and thus allowing the air to escape from the pressure chamber sooner.

Jim2752
12-03-2008, 09:47 PM
The gun already had two shims in it and it worked fine so I 'll stick with that. The only changes I made was the main spring and I used the next bigger carrier size. It made the bolt slide a lot easier. I sent my tanks to get tested so I wont know how the gun works for about a week. Thanks for the info.

athomas
12-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Always use the largest carrier size that does not leak. When testing don't use any shims. You can put the shims back in later, but test without them. Always use the same white inner oring when changing carriers.

Looper
12-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Always use the largest carrier size that does not leak. When testing don't use any shims. You can put the shims back in later, but test without them. Always use the same white inner oring when changing carriers.Too bad they don't allow sigs here... it would save you a lot of typing if you could put that in your sig.

athomas
12-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Too bad they don't allow sigs here... it would save you a lot of typing if you could put that in your sig.LOL.. Yep.