PDA

View Full Version : Is this screw on an emag necessary?

pk5
12-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone

I just got an emag but on the frame there is a screw that hold the noid to the frame, i am not sure if that was factory stock or not.

On the attached picture, can anyone tell me if it is necessary to keep that screw in place? I took it out to put on the SPD grip since it would not fit with the screw on.

thanks

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/240/imgp0001cs2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Chris Nearchos
12-03-2008, 04:27 PM
i highly suggest to get one put in. if i remeber correctly, the stock grip screws are the same.

if that noid is floating loose around in there you have the chance of bending the sear/plunger, doing damage to the noid, and cause problems with firing.

-Chris

maniacmechanic
12-03-2008, 07:27 PM
how do you use the safty with those grips ????

flyingpootang
12-03-2008, 07:54 PM
You need to use 6/32 button head screw. The grip panel needs to have a hole counter sunk into it. Luke grips come with the recess....
http://lukescustoms.com/page0002.htm

Ruler_Mark
12-03-2008, 10:44 PM
chris how would the metal on the sear parts bend when the noid sits loose. please use common sense. however it could rub... anyway would be cool if tuna could step in or a certified tech

MANN
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
chris how would the metal on the sear parts bend when the noid sits loose. please use common sense. however it could rub... anyway would be cool if tuna could step in or a certified tech

Im no certified tech, but have had over 25 emags/xmags come through my hands (that once belonged to me), and have fixed many many many many e/xmags.

IMO the screw is to hold the noid from significantly moving. It is designed to move slightly (even with the screw in it). If the grips hold it in where the noid bracket is held in place I would not see a problem with it. I have an emag here somewhere that has carbon fiber pannels on it, and it does not have a problem without the screw. It has been through a few thousand shots I am sure.

One solution could always be drill through the grip and use a screw through the grip. It would not look good, but would serve its purpose.

Ruler_Mark
12-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Im no certified tech, but have had over 25 emags/xmags come through my hands (that once belonged to me), and have fixed many many many many e/xmags.

IMO the screw is to hold the noid from significantly moving. It is designed to move slightly (even with the screw in it). If the grips hold it in where the noid bracket is held in place I would not see a problem with it. I have an emag here somewhere that has carbon fiber pannels on it, and it does not have a problem without the screw. It has been through a few thousand shots I am sure.

One solution could always be drill through the grip and use a screw through the grip. It would not look good, but would serve its purpose.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say.

pk5
12-04-2008, 01:03 AM
I guess now i have a pair of practice grip ( they mess up the safety due to the frame that they measure from didn't have a safety).

So now they are sending another pair, in the mean time, i guess i have an empty pair to practice drilling and countersink with.

MANN
12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
just take out your safety.

Chris Nearchos
12-04-2008, 12:42 PM

if the noid is moving left and right enough while in operation it does have the chance to bend the sear/plunger a bit causing problems which would be amplified over time. and yes, the noid does sit a bit loose even with the screw in, but it does not allow it free enough to cause problems. so please take your own words first and use common sense on your end first.

and how do i know this can happen? I treated a Emag from canada that had that problem. the owner lost the screw when he first bought it and never replaced it. playing with it for about a year till problems started. So yes, it can and will happen if allowed.

and mann, your right. if the grips are solid and sit flush with frame side, it will be enough to hold the noid in place. But if using stock grips or other loose/flexing rubber grips, it will give away enough to cause the problem without the set screw.

-Chris