PDA

View Full Version : US/Can customs, problems??

Sundown
12-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi there,

Any Canadians here that had a Mag shipped from the US and had problems with customs?
Would they hold the marker? or even send it back?

Any tips or anything else for the shipping from USA to Canada?

thanks

MANN
12-05-2008, 10:05 PM
i have shipped dozen of markers to CA. they always got there.

michbich
12-05-2008, 10:07 PM
I've had no problems with shipping or receiving paintball markers to the US. It does take more time, and can be long at times though.

In the last year, i have had atleast 10 markers shipped with USPS. Only one cost me custom taxes.

Before sealing a deal, I make it clear to the seller that I only deal with USPS and i also demand a pic or scanned copy of the shipping receipt. I have one that was shipped today, I am completly confident that i will have zero problems with it. The tracking # is also on the receipt, so you have that at the same time.

In my last trade, i had a mag with a 90/4500 shipped from the US. The seller removed the burst disk and taped it on the tank. I received the package within a week with no problems and no customs taxes.

:cheers:

punkncat
12-05-2008, 10:27 PM
It has been hit and miss with me. I had a package a while back that has yet to turn up on either end. It was a cheap marker, so no real loss but still shook my confidence a bit. I have had a few long delays as well.

When I ship international to anywhere I make it clear to the buyer that I will use whatever service they like and are willing to pay for. I will send copies of the reciepts, etc. but the moment the package leaves my hands I take no further responsibility for it.

Sundown
12-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys

I also heard that it is very wise to not write paintball on the package. that the best thing to write would be ''Sports Equipment''

It would be a real bummer to buy a mag and not even get it..

punkncat
12-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I classify everything I ship paintball related as "Sporting goods". It just makes things easier IMO.

I have to comment that I shipped a part to the UK and actually had faster shipping and less issue than simply going across the border to Canada. Thought is was rather odd to be honest.

Lots of folks here do ship back and forth. I understand there is also some service that will recieve Int. packages and handle them for you in and out of Canada, but do not know the name of them.

michbich
12-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys

I also heard that it is very wise to not write paintball on the package. that the best thing to write would be ''Sports Equipment''

It would be a real bummer to buy a mag and not even get it..
You can always buy one from a fellow Canadian :)
It's usualy written "paintball equipment" when i receive it. Only once out of all my purchases, has the package been openned and inspected.

kevdupuis
12-06-2008, 09:17 AM
We get quite a bit of stuff shipped across the border and as long as it's marked as paintball marker or sports equipment it'll clear fine.
Kevin

edit: When getting anything shipped from the US into Canada always ask for it to be sent USPS any brokerage fees will be alot cheaper than the raping you get from UPS.

Sundown
12-06-2008, 09:44 AM
edit: When getting anything shipped from the US into Canada always ask for it to be sent USPS any brokerage fees will be alot cheaper than the raping you get from UPS.

Thanks a lot Kevin :)

Wicked_Silence
12-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Well I've probably bought/sold about 12 markers plus alot of small packages of various things. The only thing I recommend is that you have the person label the package truthfully as if customs does get their hands on it and what is in the package is not what is described on the shipping label, then there can be delays.

I have only had 1 package disappear into the postal void and that was a stainless freak back. I have yet to see it and it was shipped late June or early July.

The only other thing I can suggest is that the person shipping could disassemble the marker (pull the barrel off and the trigger frame) and label the package as paintball marker parts. As for shipping as a gift, I have mixed feelings. It doesn't appear to affect the possibility of customs stopping the package as I've had 4-5 packages get stopped and 'inspected' even thought they were shipped as a gift.

Sundown
12-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Well I've probably bought/sold about 12 markers plus alot of small packages of various things. The only thing I recommend is that you have the person label the package truthfully as if customs does get their hands on it and what is in the package is not what is described on the shipping label, then there can be delays.

I have only had 1 package disappear into the postal void and that was a stainless freak back. I have yet to see it and it was shipped late June or early July.

The only other thing I can suggest is that the person shipping could disassemble the marker (pull the barrel off and the trigger frame) and label the package as paintball marker parts. As for shipping as a gift, I have mixed feelings. It doesn't appear to affect the possibility of customs stopping the package as I've had 4-5 packages get stopped and 'inspected' even thought they were shipped as a gift.

Dissembling the marker is an excellent idea.. I will do that :)

But IMO, indicating ''Sports equipment'' is truthful.. as it is sports equipment. well unless they don't think it is and they think I am trying to ''cheat'' them.

Sudz
12-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I've got a few different parts and full markers over the boarder before with no problems. Some were labeled as 'sports equipment' and others labeled they were markers or parts. I think that as long as you are honest with the value of the package you want have a problem, as they're all concerned about getting theirs!