PDA

View Full Version : AO-Illinois, today is a wonderful day to be alive!

grEnAlEins
12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
First some mood music...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SESr9D5Gd7A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SESr9D5Gd7A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now for the reading material:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/blagojevich_corruption_probe
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/16348

:dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :bounce: :bounce: :cheers: :cheers:

Lohman446
12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
[ALMOST} All politicians are corrupt, this one was just stupid enough to try to extort other politicians.

jrod
12-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Greed is a wonderous thing. Merry Christmas

grEnAlEins
12-09-2008, 01:58 PM
[ALMOST} All politicians are corrupt, this one was just stupid enough to try to extort other politicians.
I know it. I am merely overjoyed that this particular corrupt individual is being punished and that he will possibly be removed from office. He has been the worst thing to happen to the state since... uh, ever (this is merely my opinion, but even amongst the loyalest of Democrat and Chicagoan groups, the man has been out of friends because of his shady nature, so there is something to it).

EDIT: Plus I REALLY like Pat Quinn and think he would do a good job.

snoopay700
12-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I know it. I am merely overjoyed that this particular corrupt individual is being punished and that he will possibly be removed from office. He has been the worst thing to happen to the state since... uh, ever (this is merely my opinion, but even amongst the loyalest of Democrat and Chicagoan groups, the man has been out of friends because of his shady nature, so there is something to it).

EDIT: Plus I REALLY like Pat Quinn and think he would do a good job.
Yeah, i didn't hear about this till my friend told me seeing as i'm in WI at the time being, but he was pretty freaking horrible. Hopefully he's out of office.

grEnAlEins
12-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah, i didn't hear about this till my friend told me seeing as i'm in WI at the time being, but he was pretty freaking horrible. Hopefully he's out of office.
Nope... Bonded out. He is still the acting Gov. but there is quite a push for his resignation. The will likely impeach him should he refuse to resign.

snoopay700
12-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Nope... Bonded out. He is still the acting Gov. but there is quite a push for his resignation. The will likely impeach him should he refuse to resign.
We can only hope. :cheers:

grEnAlEins
12-11-2008, 12:53 AM
We can only hope. :cheers:
I'd rather see him leave quietly and save the state--and himself--at least some embarrassment. So long as the situation is resolved swiftly I'd be happy. A drawn out process would be greatly detrimental, especially if here were to make an appointment before leaving office.

AGDlover
12-11-2008, 01:16 AM
*sighs*..... here we go again..... :cuss:

trevorjk
12-11-2008, 04:31 AM
its about time the shady and corrupt government of Illinois gets exposed.

i love how our new president who says that he will be an open president that wont hide anything from the american people has "no comment" on this situation. kind of hipocritical dontcha think?

grEnAlEins
12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
its about time the shady and corrupt government of Illinois gets exposed.

i love how our new president who says that he will be an open president that wont hide anything from the american people has "no comment" on this situation. kind of hipocritical dontcha think?
How dare you slander the overlord :mad: :p

Destructo6
12-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Chicago politics have been horribly corrupt for decades. Anybody who "rises" in Chicago politics is going to have to play ball, too. There was a mayor Daly during Capone times, and there's one there now.

Lohman446
12-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Vote early, vote often :)

grEnAlEins
12-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Supreme Court of the State of Illinois refused to rule as to whether this make Blago unfit today. This is a minor disappointment, though I must say I saw that one coming down the pipe. In fairness to them, if I could avoid getting involved in this mess I would too.

Lohman446
12-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Supreme Court of the State of Illinois refused to rule as to whether this make Blago unfit today. This is a minor disappointment, though I must say I saw that one coming down the pipe. In fairness to them, if I could avoid getting involved in this mess I would too.

If they ruled being corrupt made someone unfit to serve would there ruling not be in question? At least a lot hypocritical

grEnAlEins
12-17-2008, 06:38 PM
If they ruled being corrupt made someone unfit to serve would there ruling not be in question? At least a lot hypocritical
Yes, but that was not the legal question at issue. The legal question at issue was could Blago adequately undertake a leadership role given the current circumstances. The answer would of course be no, as he is not fit to take a leadership role in the first place ;) It had nothing to do with whether corruption in and of itself made someone unfit to hold an office though.

EDIT: at least that was my understanding of the motion.

Lohman446
12-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Yes, but that was not the legal question at issue. The legal question at issue was could Blago adequately undertake a leadership role given the current circumstances. The answer would of course be no, as he is not fit to take a leadership role in the first place ;) It had nothing to do with whether corruption in and of itself made someone unfit to hold an office though.

EDIT: at least that was my understanding of the motion.

So, being publically proven to be corrupt (and arrested by federal officials) is the breaking point?

grEnAlEins
12-17-2008, 08:15 PM
So, being publically proven to be corrupt (and arrested by federal officials) is the breaking point?
A possible lack of ability to concentrate on gubernatorial duties is the issue. He has too much on his mind right now to reasonably expected to be an effective governor. I would not say that it is the breaking point in all cases. In this particular case the charges and scrutiny are enough to preclude Blago from being fit to govern in my mind. I guarantee you that Blago is not thinking about an of the impending appropriations bills, but rather on meeting with his lawyer in Chicago. The fact the he canceled his plans to return to Springfield in favor of such a meeting with council suggests that this is the case.

Lohman446
12-17-2008, 08:36 PM
A possible lack of ability to concentrate on gubernatorial duties is the issue. He has too much on his mind right now to reasonably expected to be an effective governor. I would not say that it is the breaking point in all cases. In this particular case the charges and scrutiny are enough to preclude Blago from being fit to govern in my mind. I guarantee you that Blago is not thinking about an of the impending appropriations bills, but rather on meeting with his lawyer in Chicago. The fact the he canceled his plans to return to Springfield in favor of such a meeting with council suggests that this is the case.

Isn't being involved with corrupt mobsters more distracting than the Feds? :)

grEnAlEins
12-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Isn't being involved with corrupt mobsters more distracting than the Feds? :)
Hey hey hey hey, most of our politicians in Illinois of a particular party are involved with those types of folks and look at the job they've done... Point taken :p

Would you agree that he now has a double distraction?

Also, his involvement with with questionable characters is of his own volition, whereas being arrested and charged by the feds was not. I argue that the feds are more of a distraction in light of this fact. Even so, now that both distractions are present, he is as incapable as ever, is he not? :D

Lohman446
12-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey hey hey hey, most of our politicians in Illinois of a particular party are involved with those types of folks and look at the job they've done... Point taken :p

Would you agree that he now has a double distraction?

Also, his involvement with with questionable characters is of his own volition, whereas being arrested and charged by the feds was not. I argue that the feds are more of a distraction in light of this fact. Even so, now that both distractions are present, he is as incapable as ever, is he not? :D

Well, at least you can blame the distractions rather than just general incompetence.

grEnAlEins
12-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, at least you can blame the distractions rather than just general incompetence.
Not me, I did not file the legal argument based on the distractions, that was our AG. I have been an outspoken critic (not outspoken anymore though :D ) critic of Blago for years, since before I was old enough to vote actually. I know he was and is completely incompetent. I did not vote for him last time around because of it. Most others in Illinois did not see Blago as the buffoon that he is up until recently (preceding this scandal actually, he has done worse believe it or not). I am not blaming the distractions, I am utilizing it as a support for what I want (no more Blago).

Hilltop Customs
12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
doesnt the fact that he is accepting of bribes completely undermine ANY decision he has or will make? IMO he needs to be out of office and preferably in a jail cell to deter similar actions from other politicians.

grEnAlEins
01-30-2009, 12:54 AM
So how about that? 59-0 was the vote. Farewell "good" sir, you shan't be missed.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Lohman446
01-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Now he should be jailed for contempt of Senate.

Next time you have a trial try simply not showing up....

grEnAlEins
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Now he should be jailed for contempt of Senate.

Next time you have a trial try simply not showing up....
To be fair, there is no legal requirement to be present for a state level impeachment proceeding in Illinois. It is his right to be absent if he so chooses.

He should be jailed for accepting bribes, public corruption on various other fronts, and general douchebaggery. This has been 6 years coming. I hope he tries to make a deal and implicates others. It would be sweet to get a new Governor and a new Mayor for the largest city all in one year :clap: