PDA

View Full Version : Beaten to the punch - an exercise in the collective conscience

halB
12-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Have you guys heard of the collective conscience? It's the philosophy that once someone has a unique idea, the idea is now available to all humans, and it is much easier for these humans to think of this idea on their own.

So, there I was about a month ago, having just bought a 20 dollar superbolt at a flea market. I was flat broke, but I wanted to shoot my gun. And I figured, even if I COULD afford to fill up a c02 tank, I wouldn't be able to afford the paintballs.

And I thought, Wow, this is stupid, the sports so freaking expensive I cant even afford to shoot my gun out back.

And if I did, I'd have to clean up the mess. And it was really cold outside.

So I said, jeese, airsoft BB's are really cheap to shoot, why don't we just make a drop in kit for paintball guns that allows you to shoot airsoft BBs? And I decided a good way to do so would be to feed the bbs in through the barrel.

I now present you with, someone who beat me to the punch.

http://www.barragebarrel.com/

The barrage barrel! It does everything I envisioned. Except - I also had designed a drop in bolt that would have actually chambered each ball in the barrel. Would have been more difficult, but I wanted the balls to shoot accurately. But how can I be mad? They were obviously in production mode when I had only thought of it. Damn that collective conscience!

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Sure seems like a good idea!

jrod
12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
No idea how good that will work. But I give 'em an A for ingenuity. I think that it's a cool idea.

customxphoto
12-13-2008, 05:35 PM
thats been out for months lol

saw in one of the mags a few months ago

halB
12-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm even more tardy to the party! LOL. This is why when you fancy yourself an inventor you gotta have several different projects going at once.

Smoothice
12-13-2008, 05:38 PM
well...

$60 bucks will get you 3 cases of crappy paint at walmart.

Which should be good enough for your back yard shooting extravaganza.

And you could just shoot into a trash can.

But...

it is a pretty cool idea.

Now how do we make one for under $10 :ninja:

trevorjk
12-13-2008, 05:42 PM
aluminum rod. pipe threader. tap. drill bits. 2 blug screws.

halB
12-13-2008, 06:12 PM
A .177 barrel
Two pieces of wood
A compass
A drill bit.

And then screws and a detent for the internals.

oh, and smoothice, there are STILL places in america that are rather far away from walmart (thank god). The closest one to miami is an hour either way.

Smoothice
12-13-2008, 06:25 PM
How many reballs can you get for $60?

Thats a pretty cheap and clean alternative.

Now lets see some under $10 schematics :D

grEnAlEins
12-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Now how do we make one for under $10 :ninja:
Outsourcing? Have the Chinese make it. I am sure that they'll be happy to manufacture these for pennies on the dollar :)

Smoothice
12-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Outsourcing? Have the Chinese make it.

I know a few chinese dudes :rofl:

So I know nothing about airsoft.

Do they make separate barrels for airsoft guns? I guess I am only familiar with cheap models that are all 1 piece.

How would you go about putting a detent in a barrel that small? And is it even necessary?

trevorjk
12-13-2008, 11:56 PM
i would assume a standard detent would work. just make sure there is enough material in the barrel to keep ball in the detent from reaching to far into the barrel.

grEnAlEins
12-14-2008, 01:38 AM
How would you go about putting a detent in a barrel that small? And is it even necessary?
Outsourcing. We can let the Japanese figure that out.

michbich
12-14-2008, 01:48 AM
The barrel seems to be pretty thick since the hole diameter is smaller. I'm sure a notch could even be milled in the barrel so that the detent sits flush on the barrel.

Smoothice
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
The barrel seems to be pretty thick since the hole diameter is smaller. I'm sure a notch could even be milled in the barrel so that the detent sits flush on the barrel.

I'm just thinking of using something with a slightly bigger diameter then the bore itself.

I wonder if barrel length has that much effect on accuracy? I've shot a few airsoft pistols that seemed pretty accurate (or at least consistent) for only having a 4-5 inch barrel.

Smoothice
12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Outsourcing. We can let the Japanese figure that out.

Dangit. I don't know any japanese dudes :p

paint magnet
12-15-2008, 12:47 AM
What's this thing cost, a hundred bucks or so?

I mean, it's a cool idea but it's kind of pointless. If you want to shoot BB's a BB gun and a thousand BB's will cost about half of the conversion.

grEnAlEins
12-15-2008, 01:51 AM
I mean, it's a cool idea but it's kind of pointless. If you want to shoot BB's a BB gun and a thousand BB's will cost about half of the conversion.
Win.

Hilltop Customs
12-15-2008, 02:32 AM
but will a bb gun shoot at 10+ bbs a second? :cool:

Raven001
12-15-2008, 07:39 AM
oh, and smoothice, there are STILL places in america that are rather far away from walmart (thank god). The closest one to miami is an hour either way.

You must live in heaven

warpfeedmod
12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
but will a bb gun shoot at 10+ bbs a second? :cool:

Lets not forget now we can have ramping and PSP modes on our Airsoft markers!

d4m4don3
12-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Dangit. I don't know any japanese dudes :p

yea you do...Alan

Smoothice
12-16-2008, 12:13 AM
yea you do...Alan

Really? Dang I would have said Mexican. Well I guess I thought you were mexican at first too :tard:

:rofl: