PDA

View Full Version : First Shot Hot???

Omicron
01-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Ok, here's what happens...

I go and chrono my 68automag, and the first shot is like 260, then the shots after are around 230 fps, and stays there. After I play a game I go and chrono to make sure, and it does it again, 260 first shot, 230 after.

This is bad because I play at an indoor field where the limit is 250, and if you are caught shooting above 250, you are banned.

I tried changing the regulator seat, and the oring in the velocity part and the same thing. I will see what happens after this friday, as I play again then. What do you think it could be?

Oops, forgot to mention that i use compressed air (114ci, 4500psi air america apocalypse)

Minimag4me
01-27-2002, 06:47 PM
that used to happen to me when i used co2 but compressed air fixed it, co2 is a funny gas

Lord Vader
01-27-2002, 06:50 PM
Actually, I have the same problem with my retro running on a flatline. First shot is always hot. Have no clue why; I even changed out all the orings. Anyone have any ideas?

Omicron
01-27-2002, 07:09 PM
is it just your first shot for the day, or is it like everytime you let it sit for a bit?

Lord Vader
01-27-2002, 07:23 PM
every time I let it sit for a bit...as in every time I go to chrono

Omicron
01-27-2002, 07:29 PM
yeah same here...I don't know if its supposed to do that, or if my valve is slightly messed up...

BlackVCG
01-27-2002, 07:38 PM
It's a reg. seat problem.

In the Mag it's a urethane disk and in the Retro it's a urethane o-ring. First make sure the actual reg. seat is in good shape and oiled and in the Mag check to make sure the reg. valve pin doesn't have any dirt on it or nicks. The same with the Retro. Make sure the brass reg. seat holder and the reg. valve pin are both cleaned and the sealing surfaces are smooth.

The reason why you get first shot hots is because the valve is not completely sealing at the reg. seat. If there isn't a perfect seal, pressure will slowly leak into the air chamber and raise the pressure so the first shot goes hot and the next one at a lower velocity because there wasn't enough time for the valve to leak pressure into the dump chamber when the trigger is forward.

Omicron
01-27-2002, 07:57 PM
thanks Black

But don't you have to replace the regulator seat (on 68 mag valve) everytime you open it up? after friday, I'll take a look at it if it still does it. Then I'll send it into AGD if it continues...

joeyjoe367
01-28-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
It's a reg. seat problem.

I was just about to say that. To maintain Maximum consistancy, aren't u supposed to replace the reg seat every single time u take the air valve/reg apart?

...something about the seal not being the same after being taken apart or something..