PDA

View Full Version : custom guns

mostpeople
12-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Everybody has in their head their 'ideal' marker, mine just happens to be a dust black X-mag with cnc battery pack/tunablade. Someone else might see a different marker, but more often than not - custom milling and custom anno creep in there.

I guess my question is, is why do so many people make ridiculously custom markers with outlandish milling/anno costs just to try and re-sell them? Im sure you have all seen these markers floating around - and I am not going to name names. I honestly have only liked one persons custom marker, and that was WW's pbx 03 which apparently is a female dog to get working right ;).

What is this obsession?

Ninjeff
12-26-2008, 06:13 PM
most of the time its probably because the adventure is in the build, which nets more fun than the actual end result. If that makes any sense.

Warwitch
12-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I can only speak from my own experience (thanks for not mentioning my name :p ). But sometimes a project does not fulfill my expectations. And sometimes its an addiction to the project creative process. Id really love to be able to have at least one major project going on at any time. Hell if I could amass the techs Id open up a custom shop. I enjoy helping people realize their own dream markers just as much.

ta2maki
12-26-2008, 06:25 PM
most of the time its probably because the adventure is in the build, which nets more fun than the actual end result. If that makes any sense.

I don't understand that part, if you are sending it out to get everything done for you where exactly is the fun?

maniacmechanic
12-26-2008, 06:40 PM
I don't understand that part, if you are sending it out to get everything done for you where exactly is the fun?

Well most folks can't afford to have a milling machine & and anno shop in thier garage .
Most everything else is "in the garage built" , some folks would say well your just buying the parts and putting it together , well it's my sweat & blood thats putting it together & it was my idea to do it like this
That one of the beauties of The Mag , with the parts available today you can do a custom marker in the garage , you won't do that with any of the cookie cutter markers they make nowdays , unless you consider a accent kit ; custom

maniacmechanic
12-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Everybody has in their head their 'ideal' marker, mine just happens to be a dust black X-mag with cnc battery pack/tunablade. Someone else might see a different marker, but more often than not - custom milling and custom anno creep in there.

I guess my question is, is why do so many people make ridiculously custom markers with outlandish milling/anno costs just to try and re-sell them? Im sure you have all seen these markers floating around - and I am not going to name names. I honestly have only liked one persons custom marker, and that was WW's pbx 03 which apparently is a female dog to get working right ;).

What is this obsession?

It is in the build , the obsession that is , unfortunatlly they damn near allways cost more to build than they are worth , especially when custom milling & anno work is done
IF they do sell them ( I have 10 Mags on my wall ) , thier loss is someone else's gain

Ninjeff
12-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Well most folks can't afford to have a milling machine & and anno shop in thier garage .
Most everything else is "in the garage built" , some folks would say well your just buying the parts and putting it together , well it's my sweat & blood thats putting it together & it was my idea to do it like this
That one of the beauties of The Mag , with the parts available today you can do a custom marker in the garage , you won't do that with any of the cookie cutter markers they make nowdays , unless you consider a accent kit ; custom

Right, the planning stages, being creative with anno. That kinda thing.
Mostly though its probably because you build one, have a bit of fun with it, and then sell it because you can use that $$$ to build ANOTHER one....half the fun is the adventure....

going_home
12-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Its like Mr. T always said :

http://mrt.sciamachy.net/jibbajabba/on_jazz.wav

You get in a creative wavelength building a custom marker. On the jazz again lol.

I never build one intending on selling it. It just works out that way sometimes.
Havent tried in this economy but I've always been able to at least break even on
the ones I've had to sell.

;)

The Action Figure
12-27-2008, 03:21 AM
Alot of people like the building process, and taking a stock marker and seeing if they can make it not so stock. It was never about resale for me...

luke
12-27-2008, 11:27 AM
My answer may be a little off what you're getting at. But, for me customizing is for more specific reasons, the first is because I may not like the factory part, for what ever reason that might be. For instance, I made a custom Warp feed bracket because I didn't like the look and how the factory bracket mounted the Warp at an angle to the gun. I also didn't like having to reach around the Warp to grab the foregrip. My "Warp-rear" mount was designed specifically for myself all others were designed based on what customers wanted.

My "warpfeed mod" was designed specifically for myself also. After I got my first Warpfeed it bugged me to no end having to feed my Mag through the powerfeed. It also bugged me having to "look through" the mess. I had my first warpfeed mod done for more than a year before I ever posted pictures here and quite awhile before AGDs Warpfeed body. :p

Emag panels, the plastic ones have always bugged me; I've never owned an Emag. The list goes on. ;)

So customizing for me general terms it's about individuality, the design process, execution of those ideas then the hands on fabrication. But sometimes a “custom” part comes about because I’m too cheap to buy what someone else had made. This is not solely based on paintball it’s pretty much every facet of my life. :ninja:

Toll
12-27-2008, 01:29 PM
1) If I make something custom its because I am cheap. By the time I get the materials, plan out what I need, do the fabrication and machining..I'm out about 15 hours. For 20$ grips.

2) Most people who decide to sell some of the custom beauties they get set up do so because once you reach the top of a hill you have no where to go but down. Or they run into things with their car/unfortuante events.

luke
12-27-2008, 02:26 PM
With some things, time vs. money is a consideration. ;)

mostpeople
12-27-2008, 03:33 PM
I'd never directly question someone for selling because of rent/car accident/what have you.. but I truly wonder how many fire sales like that are truly because of those reasons. Or, does it go back to my original implication that people are never happy with what they have and always want more more more. (I am guilty of wanting more myself!).

Anyone got a ccm s6 for trade?? lol j/k..

paint magnet
12-27-2008, 07:15 PM
My guess would be impulse buys. Someone comes into a large sum of cash, orders the gun they always wanted, and buy the time it gets there they have forgotten about it or want something else. This is especially true with companies that come out with "new" designs every year--if you'd had a custom DM3 in 2003 it would have been cool for a while, but then it would look like a brick with a $400 milling and ano job next to the DM4.