PDA

View Full Version : scuba fill

paintball72
01-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I just got a scuba tank and fill station :clap: . I'm just having a problem of air leaking from around the part that presses up against the k-valve of the scuba tank. Upon further inspection i found that the part on the fill station doesn't sit inside the lip of the k-valve on the scuba tank. I am wondering if it is supposed to fit inside that lip or not and how to stop these leaks so i can fill my compressed air tanks.

thanks in advance

going_home
01-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I just got a scuba tank and fill station :clap: . I'm just having a problem of air leaking from around the part that presses up against the k-valve of the scuba tank. Upon further inspection i found that the part on the fill station doesn't sit inside the lip of the k-valve on the scuba tank. I am wondering if it is supposed to fit inside that lip or not and how to stop these leaks so i can fill my compressed air tanks.

thanks in advance

Theres lots of different scuba tank valves. Maybe bring it to your local scuba shop, or paintball shop along with the fill station and let them have a look at it.

;)

MoeMag
01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Generally from what I have seen there are two primary types of scuba fill stations. There are the ones that are very minimal and look a lot like the A-clamp fitting on an actual scuba regulator, then others that are made out of a rather large square block of annoed aluminum, that has all the fancy wiz bang gages and blow offs.

Sometimes the fill stations made of the block are too bulky and hits the shoulders on the valve below the air fitting. if this is the case, you may need to invest in another tank valve, which would probably run as much as the other style fill station. If I remember the lady at our dive shop a few years ago, she said something about the newer valves having standardized dimensions that would work with everything... might ask about that.

You could also have a SCBA tank (not for use under water, such as a fire fighters tank, or some sort of enviromental suit). you will need an adaptor for those as they are diffrent.

Make sure your O-ring is good, or for that matter even on the valve, in the scuba tank. they are about as much fun as tank orings were before on/offs with blow offs.

In this case find a dive shop to help you because they know their stuff... their lives depend on these things working. Im in phoenix AZ and can think of at least 6 shops off hand, so im sure you shouldnt have a problem finding one.

:cheers:

Adam45
01-10-2009, 11:14 PM

thanks in advance

It unlikely that a K valve would be out of spec. Peoples lives are at stake. Likely your Oring is torn or missing. Take a close look.

Cheers