PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some good paint for woodsball

DamianTC
01-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I am looking to get a (non-profit) paintball club together in my area. I recently got permission to build a woodsball course on some nearby forest property. I have ordered a chronograph, a few scuba tanks, and some rental guns/masks. Now I am looking for some decent paint that I can get for $35-40 per 2000 so I can sell for $10 per 500 and not lose any money. I know sporting goods stores sell a few different brands paint for $20-40 a case, but I am not gonna allow BYOP because alot of the cheap stuff out there is dangerous to use. Can anyone recommend a brand of paint that is cheap and breaks (on target, not in barrel) fairly well?

phizz
01-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Nelsplat!

I may be a bit biased but I have used Nelson paint for years and I prefer the Nelsplat even to their top of the line anarchy. That all I use for bushball and even before the sponsorship thats what I used. I have tried many other brands but keep going back.

Coralis
01-11-2009, 02:31 PM
there was a post awhile back about nelson paint being oil based while most the industry was moving towards a etylene glychol (spelling) which i believe is so the paint doesnt stain as much ... this might be something to consider so as not to leave a large paint footprint behind.

gunman_2000
01-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Guy out in BC made a video about his field using Nelson paint...the stuff is just caked everywhere and doesn't go away. Just piles of up against walls that doesn't wash away, was really disgusting.

here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfokj5z16nE

punkncat
01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Has a lot to do with what you will be shooting it out of.

To be honest, if you are shooting Tippys and Spyders, I would recommend finding just about any kind of the PRS paint available at many of your sporting good stores as well as paintball shops. It is a little hard and bouncy, but does not break in the marker.

Now my favorite for rec ball is actually called Rec Sport. Comes in a red box. Look for a particular kind called "medley". It is a yellow ball with yellow fill and says medley in green on the ball. The other version which is a bluish purple is a bit too brittle, but the yellow seems to be a great mid point and is very round like the RPS is known to be. Generally runs just a touch over $40 per case.

Stayhuge
01-11-2009, 08:54 PM
My buddies and I use DXS Bronze. It usually comes to about $46 a case after tax, since I buy 3 at a time from my local shop. The stuff holds up well in all of the guns too. I have tried some cheaper stuff, and people weren't as happy. I usually charge $12 for 500. The $2 profit goes to my gas, since the store is about 15 miles from my place. just my 2 cents though.

Bassaro
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey man I noticed you have your location as Pittsburgh. I live about a hour and thirty minutes from pittsburgh. If you are trying to start a field around here let me know I might be able to help you. Most of my team is around pittsburgh and morgantown so hit me with a PM.

tech-chan
01-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Diablo Zen. Never had a break in the barrel or bolt in any of my many markers. You can find it easily for 35 bucks a box, buy 4 boxes, get free shipping. I'll find you the link later if your interested.

ZEROte
01-16-2009, 01:17 PM
sterling rec. sterling-paintballs.com

Watcher
01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I tend to shoot Draxxus a lot. The Walmart by me sells Draxxus/ProCapps Recon paintballs.

They have a nice bright orange fill, but the shell is camo which may be a turn off or a turn on depending on who you ask. I don't really care.
They seem to work well, I took them to a big game and only had one chop (level 7 RT going faster than the warp :rolleyes: ) and they seem to avoid breaking on soft stuff (leaves, etc) and break consistant on target. I haven't gotten a definite bounce with them yet.
Only thing is if they are out of bag for a while they get brittle. I have a hard-case with a few hundred sitting around since october and my Apache pokes holes in them.
Fresh they are great!

They are about $40 a case, what I usually buy before I go anywhere BYOP.
They have oil in them, but it isn't a lot so they don't stain too easy. I did the "cool-aid" test with them and only had a very tiny layer of oil in a full glass of water, but I included the shell, not just the fill.
They are probably the best paintballs you can get at Walmart...

RPS makes some decent stuff as well, but their low end paint tends to be a bit misshapen at times. Marballizer is good stuff, and it can be found for cheap if you look hard enough but is usually pretty up there.

Diablo makes good stuff too, their low end paint is called X-Ball and is about $30 a case. It really isn't that bad. Orange fill and orange shell, I believe. The batch I tried was good, no breaks in the bags, all good shaped, only it was a bit small for my barrel so I went back to the Draxxus. I cannot attest to it's oil content as I didn't test it.

Diablo also makes a paint similar to the X-ball (may even be called the same) that they formulate for woodsball with a thicker shell so it doesn't break on like leaves and stuff. Never tried it, but I've seen it at Dick'sSportingGoods for about $35 a case.

Anything above $50 a case I've never used (besides the Marballizer because it was field paint only and the price was really high) so I couldn't say the quality.

Draxxus makes a lot of decent paint types that are "good" paint (not sold at walmart) such as their RecSport and Triumph paint. The Triumph paint I used is decent, but you might get a chop or two and a barrel break and in the winter they are horribly brittle. Like, break in the air brittle. About $30-$35 a case
The Bronze/Silver/Gold and such (tournament series) is ok, I guess. I never really liked it. Just personal preference. They can be in the $40s and up.

Draxxus' woodsball paint is called "Blaze". I've never used it but it is supposed to be the "good" version of the Recon. It's up there at about $50-$60 a case. Actually, the shell pattern and color exactly matches the recon, only the fill is different and probably the ingrediants vary a bit...
Or maybe it's that the Blaze is by "Draxxus" and Recon is "ProCapps", just like how a DM9 costs a grand or two and a PM9 is only a few hundred...

DamianTC
01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I have tryed 3 types of paint so far.. WGP Annihilation, ZAP Cryptic, and Nelson HotSpot. They all were $30 for a 2000 case

The Annihilation balls are horrible. If I aimed at the ground 10 feet infront of me, every ball would bounce up in the air. If you threw one straight down on concrete, it would not break. I know for a fact I would not want shot with one of these balls.

The Cryptics are alot better than the Annihilation. They broke easier, but I did get a few barrel breaks as well.

I just got the HotSpots a few days ago, only shot about 300. Seem ok, but didnt get to really test them out yet. But after I watched that video about Nelson using oil fill, I am not sure I want to play with Nelsons.

I want to thank you guys for the suggestions, they are gonna be the next few cases I buy. Keep them coming if you know anymore good, cheap paint