PDA

View Full Version : How do you take a reg of a tank?

eXo_oUtSiDeR
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Ive got a 114/45 bottle with a maxflo on it :cry: How do I take the maxflo of to put on my hyperflow? Can this be done by me? or do I have to send it to someplace to have it done? What tools do I need?

Ruler_Mark
01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
strap wrench. make sure it has been dumped

garbageman705
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
It probably has loc-tite on the threads too. Run the neck of the bottle under HOT tap water for about 10 minutes or so. Then, as Mark said, strap wrench. If that doesn't work, wrap the reg in a belt and use vice grips. If the reg has flat spots use a crescent wrench. Last but not least a padded vice on the reg and 2 or 4 strong arms on the bottle.

xero28
01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I've always taken my own regs off myself. I've heard around that airsmiths should do it, but I think this is more of a "don't sue us if you die because you didn't follow our advice" issue. If it's such a big deal, then why are the Max-Flo Micros (one of which I own) DESIGNED to be taken off the by the user? Anyway, the reg probably has some lock-tite on it, so you'll probably need a vice. I took off a Max-Flo Manifold a few weeks ago and this was the case. Here's what I did, if you choose to do the same, good luck. (Notice I didn't tell you to do it this way, so don't sue me if you die :D ) First, I made sure the tank was EMPTY OF ALL AIR! Next, I just wrapped a towel around the reg so as not to damage it and placed it in the vice so it couldn't move. Then I just cranked the bottle off. I think I may have gotten some help from my brother. (I've also used an old bike tire tube to get a good grip on the bottle, the carbon fiber ones can be a bit slick) But it came off fine with no damage to the reg or bottle. I then screwed on the new reg and made sure it was tight. Some people will tell you put lock-tite on the threads, but I don't think you need it. If you do choose to use lock-tite, make sure it is the type you can get off again. Good Luck.