PDA

View Full Version : to: drummers more knowledgable than i...

master_alexander
01-24-2009, 04:27 PM
or me? i has grammar. :)

anywho. I'm looking at buying a new drumest... somewhere under the 500 range, but i'd rather it be closer to 300. basically, i need something that is good quality with a fair tone, and durable.

to narrow it down a little further, i've been looking at items from this page : http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-Drum-Sets-Acoustic-Drums---Sets,Page-1.gc?o=1&ipp=15

I've played on a few pearl sets, liked them, and have heard good things about DW, but need a little more insight...

to: drummers more knowledgable than i..

LK-13
01-24-2009, 09:15 PM
be careful,
some of those really smokin' deals are shell packs,
which means no stands aka hardware
no cymbals

so tell you what,
I've been playing drums since i was 6 years old, i turn 43 in March... and boy are my arms tired... buh dump bump! :rofl:

i also have unlimited long-distance calling,

so pm me your phone number and we can set up a time and i can talk you through everything you need to know to get you started.

Wayne "LK-13" Shaw

rifleman wi
01-25-2009, 12:29 AM
i started out with basic Ludwig kit for $350 about 6 years ago. it served me well. i hear alot of good from pacific also. what i do now is go to the local music go round or whatever used gear store, or even craigslist and pick up drums for fairly cheep. last year i picked up a 98' 6 piece pearl export for $350 and it was in excellent shape.. guy had to play off the DW's he just bought :D

master_alexander
01-27-2009, 08:02 PM
LK-13 - pmed you, and i found that out the other day while looking online... that was a slight downer, but i'll work around it.

right now the only thing i'm stumped on is on how they are different. I don't have a general use, just something that i can play on and practice etc. i have heard that tama goes out of tune quick... and dw is more of something for rock sorts.

Chris Nearchos
01-28-2009, 12:47 AM
what state are you in? i know it sounds like an odd question. but i know some really good drummer buddies [in a few different states] i use to play with (drummer myself) that could help you out with a complete set for next to nothing if not even for nothing. aka...free.

-Chris

LK-13
01-28-2009, 01:30 AM
LK-13 - pmed you, and i found that out the other day while looking online... that was a slight downer, but i'll work around it.

right now the only thing i'm stumped on is on how they are different. I don't have a general use, just something that i can play on and practice etc. i have heard that tama goes out of tune quick... and dw is more of something for rock sorts.

heard that TAMA goes out of tune quick--- myth no brand goes out of tune any faster than any other, it all depends on how well you maintain your drums.

dw is more of something for rock sorts--- myth DW are not for any one type of music, DW, LONE NAME DW, are very high end so rather expensive.

point of note, 95% of all entry level drum kits, the shells are imported from Asia.
many entry level kits the shells are made of "composite" woods better known as particle board or saw dust and resin. many of them react poorly to damp conditions.