PDA

View Full Version : rubber band mod...

ElPanda
01-31-2009, 07:04 PM
anybody ever tried to use a rubber band connected to the sear to soak up some of the trigger pull IE make it lighter (ideally)

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/dreduardo/rbmod.gif

I actually have this set up in my mag right now, still need to test it

the notches in the sear leg are for "tuning" how much force it applies to the sear

it attaches in the rear to the exposed bottom of the rail bushing

lmk what you guys think, agree, disagree, love it, hate it

michbich
01-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Never thought about it. Wonder how long the elastic can last in the streched position before it starts to lose it's elasticity. It would probably need to be tuned every year if i had to guess.

Interesting none the less.
:cheers:

secretweaponevan
01-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Neat idea.

This opens up springs and magnets as an avenue also.

Coralis
01-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Ive seen it the other way to increase the trigger pull with the rubber bands around the trigger guard and the back of the trigger. ( the owner said it helped him shoot faster,I was like :tard: ok .)

ElPanda
01-31-2009, 09:36 PM
its all preference I suppose, lol

Im just trying to get it reasonably light

Im running a ULT with a sear mod and Im hoping this will give me that extra boost to get it even slightly walkable.

sffudapparel
01-31-2009, 10:21 PM
That's the best drawing of how a mag works ever. I'm going to refer newbs to that drawing from now on :D

Interesting idea, i think there are better avenues than an elastic band but hey, why not try

ElPanda
01-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Ive said it before and Ill say it again

ms paint ftw

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/dreduardo/P1000154.jpg

shooker8
01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Maybe its just me but have you ever noticed how mag owners are very creative. I mean if there isn't something on the market they make it. That's a good idea and I always wanted to do magnet mod. :) Power to the tinkering mag owners.

Smoothice
01-31-2009, 11:35 PM
well that is definetly cheaper the pneumagging it.

I see how that would possibly give you a lighter pull.

But I would think that tension would most likely slow down the resetting of the sear. Which would make walking the trigger more difficult.

Let us know how it goes.

xero28
02-01-2009, 12:17 AM

But I would think that tension would most likely slow down the resetting of the sear. Which would make walking the trigger more difficult.

Let us know how it goes.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it might work better on an RT that can push a bit harder back on the sear, but the ULT might not have enough umph to reset quickly enough, you may get some chuffing. Or it may be the answer to our prayers, like Shooker said, it's great what we think up. Let us know how it turns out. Who knows, maybe in a week we'll all have rubber bands on our sears. :cheers:

deathbypaint1213
02-01-2009, 01:27 AM
good idea! you could swap out the rubber band with a mechanical spyder sear spring. Then you could just drill a small hole in the sear arm and connect the spring.

ElPanda
02-01-2009, 01:28 AM

Let us know how it goes.

yeah thats what Im going to be looking for when I am testing it

hopefully it balances right, and Im sure with a smaller rubber band I can get it tuned properly to be beneficial to the system as a whole.

malJohann
02-02-2009, 05:03 AM
..Wonder how long the elastic can last in the streched position before it starts to lose it's elasticity...

Just buy a bicycle inner tube and cut it up. Good rubber lasts a really long time (even while being stretched) without losing elasticity.