PDA

View Full Version : Home Grown Anno Removal??

DevilMan
02-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Alright I know there are some folks here who have tried it... or if not there are about to be...

I'm pondering the stripping of some parts. I know that sand/media blasting works, but I've also HEARD that oven cleaner will strip anno.

What I want/need to know is.... How long do you put it on? Can you do a fade type strip? Will Oven cleaner strip paint? NOT ANNO but paint? Will Paint stripper strip anno???

Just a few of the questions. I plan on learning more about it in the upcoming weeks, but thought I'd ask the grey matter of AO first.

Oh and I guess I should say...

IF ANYTHING YOU READ IN THIS THREAD YOU TRY TO DO AND JACK UP YOUR STUFF AND/OR YOURSELF!!!!! IT"S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT!!!!!

DM

Rudz
02-03-2009, 11:30 PM
ive heard oven cleaner will strip anno, but only use enough to barely submerge the part, and dont leave it too long or it will cuase pitting and make the aluminum look ugly.

DevilMan
02-03-2009, 11:43 PM
ive heard oven cleaner will strip anno, but only use enough to barely submerge the part, and dont leave it too long or it will cuase pitting and make the aluminum look ugly.

I was just gonna use the spray on stuff, let it sit, time it for 1 minute, the spray it off with water. Keep doing that to same spot til I figure out what I end up with...

that was the plan....

Meh.... maybe I'll be the trailblazer!!! :D Hell by the time some of use "Brains" get done the woman of the house will have her whole kitchen cleaned anytime one of us wants to do something....

From stripping it to baking the parts...

Guess we'll see. Was hoping that someone else with the grand idea had already done it...

:D

Learning from someone else's mistakes is always less painful than learning from your own.

DM

Beemer
02-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Learning from someone else's mistakes is always less painful than learning from your own.

DM

Classic.........and less expensive and part of the edjumacation process. :ninja: :argh: :cheers:

Karta-mag
02-04-2009, 01:14 AM
I have used crystal Drano to strip the anodizing off parts and never had a problem. Just use a small brush and make sure not to leave the parts in it any longer than needed or it will pit them. Do it outside wear rubber gloves and safety glasses, I use about a teaspoon of drano per cup of water.
Before pic
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Ddayballer/IMG_0794.jpg

after stripping anodizing
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Ddayballer/IMG_0803.jpg

DevilMan
02-04-2009, 02:12 AM
I have used crystal Drano to strip the anodizing off parts and never had a problem. Just use a small brush and make sure not to leave the parts in it any longer than needed or it will pit them. Do it outside wear rubber gloves and safety glasses, I use about a teaspoon of drano per cup of water.
Before pic
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Ddayballer/IMG_0794.jpg

after stripping anodizing
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Ddayballer/IMG_0803.jpg

NOW THAT"S WHAT I"M TALKIN ABOUT!!!!!

Nice N Shiny!!!!

So you just mix in a bit of drano with water and use something akin to a toothbrush and work it over??? or do you put the stuff in the solution and let it dissolve for a bit???

Thanx so much man... that's what I was looking for!!!!

DM

skife
02-04-2009, 02:16 AM
try using muratic acid its been used for years to clean aluminium wheels, it strips the top coating off of it.

thruster78
02-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Yes you can strip anno finish with Easy Off oven cleaner and also crystal type drain cleaners. The chemical in the drain cleaner that dissolves the anno finish is Caustic Soda. You can also just buy Caustic Soda by itself. Remember these chemicals are very dangerous you should always wear eye protection and chemical resistant rubber gloves.

This is a thread from a bicycle forum on how to clean anno off parts.

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=40732&p=1

DevilMan
02-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Looks like someone is gonna be busy tearin up stuff tomorrow!!!!

:D

Woot Woot!!!

DM

xero28
02-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks for asking this DM! I never would have thought of that. Guess what I'll be doing to this when it arrives...

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9653/img1306od5.png
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5374/img1307lk6.png

I was just gonna sand/polish it, this is going to be so much easier. :cheers:

By the way, I recently aquired an X-valve with some scratches on the top, I was thinking I could sand/polish some sort of design into it to cover up the marks. Do you think using some Easy Off would work, would you risk it on a valve? I'm thinking I could lay down some tape or something on the parts of the valve I don't want the anno removed from?

Dend78
02-04-2009, 10:16 AM
yeah i would strip the valve down no seals or anything in it then i would mask the threads and inside of it so as not to screw that up then go to town

Karta-mag
02-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Mix some in a small bucket you can put the part in and use the toothbrush to help remove the ano. It will fizz if it is working right and should only take a few minutes to get it all off. You will have to use some polish after stripping the parts to clean them and get them to shine.

DevilMan
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I think this thread is gonna lead to a WHOLE LOT of busted parts and pissed off people!!!!

And alot of NEKKID aluminum.

Okay, so before I go outside and start this...> I have a bottle of LYE already in hand... :D

MAKE SURE TO USE COLD WATER!!!! NOT HOT!!!! It says so LOTS of times on the bottle.

But before I start... That other site had alot of folks painting the parts they stripped. Now my question is.... Why strip em if you are gonna paint em??? Doesn't the anno harden the part??? So it's stronger? I can understand stripping if you are gonna anno it again, but why strip it just to paint it????

Anyone know?

I mean I WANT to get my parts anno'd when I'm done, but I'm also thinking I can paint em to see if I'll like the look of what I want to get anno'd. If I don't I'll just hit it with paint stripper. and go back to square 1.

But if I'm going to paint it anyway, why even strip it???

DM

DevilMan
02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Oh and hey Xero... you in or out this weekend???

DM

xero28
02-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Oh and hey Xero... you in or out this weekend???

DM

I posted up on the other thread you've got going. I can't make this weekend. :( I haven't played since New Years and I'm getting anxious, I need to get out and play at least a little, try out my new (to me) ULT X :bounce: Keep posting when you're playing and I'll make one of these days. :cool:

DevilMan
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Alright well I tried to take pics, but my camera batteries are dead...

I started with a gloss red duckbill. A small sour cream container with lid. Rubber/Nitrile gloves. An old toothbrush. A twist tie. A bottle of LYE drain cleaner.

I put just enough water in the SC container to cover the DB. I put the DB into the water and then took a spoon and dipped up a bit of the LYE. I dribbled it into the water slowly and let it start. It turned the water pink pretty quickly but took a bit of time to fully strip the part. I used the toothbrush one or two times but not really that much. I added just a tad more Lye to the mix about halfway through and it really took off on bubbling and stripping. I would say the time was about 5 minutes from the time I put it in, til it was all clean. I didn't have a clock to check though so it could have been longer.

One part down.... how many to go???

DM

DevilMan
02-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Oh and BTW, Masking Tape is not a proper masking method. Though I didn't think it would be, I thought I'd try. It went well til about halfway through... then it just peeled off...

Gonna try some latex paint and maybe some of the plasti-dip I have next...

DM

C_losjoker
02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
good stuff here, please keep posting and let us know the process. I have some parts and guns that id like to do this with. wish i could make it out this sunday, might be making it next tho or next time you guys are out let me know.
thanks

DevilMan
02-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Hey Joker!!! We're playing SATURDAY!!! Not SUNDAY...

So come on down!!!

DM

Karta-mag
02-04-2009, 05:34 PM
You might try rubber cement as a masking method I know some annodizers use it for splash finishes so it might work when stripping.

DevilMan
02-04-2009, 05:46 PM
You might try rubber cement as a masking method I know some annodizers use it for splash finishes so it might work when stripping.

:hail:

Mucho gracias amigo!!!!!

DM

PrimoRocker
02-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Why strip em if you are gonna paint em??? Doesn't the anno harden the part??? So it's stronger? I can understand stripping if you are gonna anno it again, but why strip it just to paint it????

DM

Why would you strip parts before you paint them? Doesn't stripping remove a layer of alum form the part, and so does anno'ing. so just reanno'ing is best, right?

DevilMan
02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Why would you strip parts before you paint them? Doesn't stripping remove a layer of alum form the part, and so does anno'ing. so just reanno'ing is best, right?

Not sure what you are asking.... you quoted me though and confused me so maybe I confused you...

I asked why strip the part if you are painting the part. You can paint over the anno no problem. But you can't ANNO over the anno. So to re anno something it has to have the old anno pulled off. To paint over something I don't see the reason to pull the old anno off, since the paint can adhere to the old anno just as well as it can to the bare AL. Now if you are using an etching primer for the part then sure I can see you pulling off the old anno.

I was wondering why pull off the old anno, just to put a layer of paint on it.

DM

punkncat
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Lye works quite well. Like the crystal Drano listed before. PLEASE, if you decide to do that wear proper protective gear, and have vinegar on standby.

As you soak the piece you will see the anno begin to dissolve. Working it over with a brush or very light sandpaper will be needed to remove everything. As soon as you are done, clean it off as well as stopping the "process" by rinsing with the Vinegar and then clean water.

I would suggest sealing the unannoed aluminum with a wax/polish of your choice to keep it from oxidizing.

Tym
07-15-2009, 12:56 AM
This works sweet!

I'm using the draino crystal method.

About 1 teaspoon of crystals per cup and a half of water.
If you want the process to be slower, use 1 teaspoon of crystal per 2 cups water.

Add the crystals to water, not water to the crystals. *BE SAFE*
Use Rubber gloves, I got some industrial strength gloves (acid resistant) from the local dollar store. Also wear eye protection, while scrubbing it's not uncommon to spray water/draino up a little bit..

I let the part soak for 5 - 7 mins, keeping the mixture agitated (moving the part or the container around) to help it along. After soaking, I hit it with an old toothbrush, this works great for getting into little tight areas too..

Once the part is all clean (2 - 4 mins of scrubbing depending on the size of the part) I take it out and run it under water for 5 - 10 secs, making sure to rinse all the solution off.. Then I dump the solution down the drain (It is draino after all) Then rinse out the container, and my gloves.

Then I dry the part off and hit it with the scotchbright lightly to even everything out. Then use some rubbing compound, I'm using buffing abrasive, the one I'm using is for stainless (the green bar) cause I have access to it for free. But you can buy the red bar (for aluminum). The only difference is the green is a bit more abrasive, but it's just as good if you don't over do it. With the red, you can rub all you want.

Then I clean it off with a soft cloth, and use some mothers aluminum polish. By the time I'm done, it has a mirror Finnish..

I filmed me de-anoing a JCS foregrip then polishing it up, I will be putting it on youtube soon, I'll update you all in this thread when I'm done.

-Harley

Sumthinwicked
07-15-2009, 01:39 AM
think ill watch this i might be redoing my paintjob on my longbow i have alot of coats of paint to strip off LOL

Tym
07-15-2009, 03:57 AM
think ill watch this i might be redoing my paintjob on my longbow i have alot of coats of paint to strip off LOL

I don't think this method will work that well for paint.. What you want to use is paint stripper.. Much the same method, but pure paint stripper soak it, scrub it. If there is Anno under that then draino it :headbang:

Rudz
07-15-2009, 07:10 PM
I wanna see the video!!

Sumthinwicked
07-15-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't think this method will work that well for paint.. What you want to use is paint stripper.. Much the same method, but pure paint stripper soak it, scrub it. If there is Anno under that then draino it :headbang:
the anno under is is perfect im the one who painted it and i know them LOL i need to repaint it