PDA

View Full Version : Micro CA question...

shives007
02-04-2009, 12:30 AM
My MicroCA seems to have something none of the others I've seen in pictures has. Hoping maybe Tom will jump in here and help me out. Here is the pic from the the AGD museum...

http://www.airgundesignsusa.com/museum/largetiffs/microcavm.jpg

If you look on the bottom side you will see a hole cut into the stock about midway along its length. All of the MicroCA's (and II's) I've seen pictured have this. Mine has a a small piece of metal bolted across this gap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/shives/MicroCA.jpg

It doesn't look like an aftermarket bolt on. What is the story behind it?

Thanks,
Shives

Muzikman
02-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Most Micro CA's I have seen (including two of the three I own) are the same way.

My assumption is that it's a vent hole and the bar over it is to prevent you from sticking a finger down in there and pinching it between the 12gram and roller.

shives007
02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
It was suggested to me that it may be a structural addition. The hole weakened the stock. Maybe. I also noticed that my stock has 2 holes opposite the 12gr hole. The one pictured from the museum only has one. Beats me.

Shives

Muzikman
02-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Ok, after looking at a couple of my Micro CA's (including a proto-type), the bar is not for structural support.

However, what I will say is odd is that my prototype Micro-CA has the bar, but the production Micr-CA II does not.

The hole that the bar is over is not a vent. It allows for clearance for the 12gram to angle down as it's being loaded and ejected.

Now, the bar, on my prototype the hole is large enough an positioned in such a way that the 12gram can actually get stuck without the bar.

On the Micr-CA II, the hole is smaller and positioned as such that a 12gram will not get stuck.

By looking at the photos you posted, the one in the museum is a Micro-CA II and yours is a Micro-CA (more like my prototype).

That is what I came up with. I don't know if that is the real reasons or not, but it seems logical.

Muzikman
02-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh, and looking at your picture.

You have a rarity there. That would be a left handed Micro-CA.

The one in the museum has two holes tow, you just can not see them, they are no the bottom. The one in the museum is actually upside down. You want the large opening pointing down the the two smaller ones on top. This is so that when you release the 12gram it will drop out.

shives007
02-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Oh, and looking at your picture.

You have a rarity there. That would be a left handed Micro-CA.

The one in the museum has two holes tow, you just can not see them, they are no the bottom. The one in the museum is actually upside down. You want the large opening pointing down the the two smaller ones on top. This is so that when you release the 12gram it will drop out.

I knew I had one of the few, rare left handed 6-packs. I didn't realize the MicroCA's were made handed. I guess I just got lucky and got a leftie there as well :clap:

Shives

smilestyler
02-06-2009, 02:23 PM
I guess I just got lucky and got a leftie there as well :clap:

Shives

Luckier yet if you were even left handed :D

shives007
02-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Luckier yet if you were even left handed :D

Yes, I am in my right mind.

Shives