PDA

View Full Version : Just bought used mag off of Ebay...what is first thing I should do?

Newbie505
01-28-2002, 11:52 PM
I am new to paintball, and I just bought my first automag off of Ebay. After gassing it up and seeing if it fires (crossing my fingers), what is the first thing I should do? Is is hard to change all the rings and springs out of a repair kit? How do I check for leaks?

I bought a paintball gun since my son (Tippman 98c/J&J probarrel/20ozCO2) has just started playing, I figure it would be a good way for us to spend time together and I figure on the days I don't go he can use my gun.

Also, just out of curiousity, can one use a Hyperframe (E-Grip?) with a automag without having to get a retro valve? If so what do you need to do to the gun (i.e bolt, feed, exp. chamber).

Sorry for the ignorance, but I am wondering if I am in over my head?

Paintchucker
01-29-2002, 12:30 AM
Post a link to the gun on Ebay so we can see what you got. Glad to have another Magger in the Paintball World!!!

First step is to fire the puppy up with gas. Did you get Nitro or is it CO2? In Orlando, the cold effects on CO2 shouldn't be a huge problem for you and you can probably get by on an expansion chamber.

I put a hyperframe on my stock 1994 minimag. Most of the time, I didn't have a problem overshooting it when I played. I was able to outrun the valve playing in HyperMode on the range, so I upgraded to a retro valve. Biggest Advantage to me of the hyperframe was the short/light trigger pull and the knowledge that it can't be short stroked.

You might want to have your local pro shop put in a parts kit for you the first time and let you watch, or this diagram may make it easier for you. Good Luck!

http://store.airgun.com/agdprod/images/parts/ACF3DF1.jpg

Exploded View Classic Valve (http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=153&CATID=6)

PS. LOL... Thanks for dispelling the myth that this site is so hard to navigate that new people can't find their way to the Tech Forum to post their techie questions !!! :)

SoupRman
01-29-2002, 07:18 PM
the very first thing i would do is....

buy a parts kit and replace every o-ring in yoru valve and bolt spring

the second is clean every part when you take out and re-assemble the valve. also make sure to oil everything in the valve, with gold cup or PMI paintball oil. then when re-assembles, put 2 drops in the 2 hole in the valve. then 5-6 drops of oil in the part where you connect your line to the valve.

after that air it up and have some fun...

for first upgrades i suggest:
12 vt. revolution
nitrogen of some sort
and then after that
whatever you want...
a good barrel... frame.... etc.

p.s. stay away from after market valve parts except for the retro valve which is the whole assembly.

the hyperframe can work without retrovalve. it pretty much comes with everythign for it to work. if you have problems contact centerflag and they will surely help you.

2000Sabre
01-29-2002, 07:48 PM
Make sure you register your Mag with AGD. You can do it online from the airgun website. In the event your gun is stolen AGD will know that you're the rightful owner. It's also helpful should you need AGD to service your Mag as well. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Mags.

Newbie505
01-29-2002, 08:30 PM
The gun arrived today. It is about as stock a gun as you can get. I took it to a local airsmith/paintball gun store www.markerproshop.com (http://www.markersproshop.com) and he told me that there is a foamieless (?) bolt other than that it was pretty much stock. He was kinda surprised that it had 3 stars on the gun, he said that usually with this type of gun it only has 1 star. The serial numbers match up together. I registered it at AGD and they are sending a manual, video, and tool kit. He did show me how to take the back apart (valve?), and where to oil some and clean some of it.

I am in the midst of buying, off of Ebay again, a Crossfire 45cu/4500psi carbon fiber tank w/PMI 4500 reg. I bought a 6" MachII Rail drop forward, but the screws aren't long enough to reach the threads in the grip so I guess I'll see about getting a different one.

I am now in the midst of shopping for barrels. The shop I was at had an 18" All American, but I felt it was kinda long. The few times I have played are at a place that has speedball/indoor only (no woods). I envision myself stranded behind a prop with a barrel to long to get around to shoot (your thoughts please).

I gassed it up with my son's C02 tank and fired a couple of rounds through it. It seems work find and I don't hear and hissing/leaks coming from anywhere.

Someone requested a pic of the Mag, so I am going to try and add one.
c:\mydocuments\ebay\i-1.bmp
If that doesn't work I will try and add the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1064717385 (http://)

Newbie505
01-29-2002, 08:32 PM
Souprman,

They were out of parts kits for the automag, so I am going to have to try another place in town. Thanks for the tip.

And thanks for everyone elses help. You guys are great!

Paintchucker
01-29-2002, 10:42 PM
I constantly goto the Home Depot to get new screws for either bottom of the trigger frame or for the front frame screw, as I play with different drop forwards and trigger frames on my mags. So dont return the drop if you like how it sits on your gun.

Glad you had no leaks in the gun! That is a good sign that it was probably taken care of. I think that 45/4500 should probably get you 600-700 shots. The three stars means it originally came with a powerfeed main body I think. Is that what you got or is it a classic with the straight tube out of the body? If you play mainly speed ball, you probably want to consider a 12" barrel.

Newbie505
01-29-2002, 11:06 PM
Paintchucker,

It is a straight tube out of the body so I think it is a automag classic? It does have 3 stars though so I guess it could have had a different body originally--Both serial numbers are the same. Thanks for the Home Depot tip, I was thinking of that myself. I kinda like this drop since it was adjustable. I was thinking of a 12" or 14" barrel, I feel that a 16" or 18" would be too long for me. I hear alot about the "Boomstick" and the All American, any thoughts on a ceramic barrel (i.e. PMI, J&J, 32 deg.)?

Thanks for your help.