PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Breach Mods

Swamp Thing
02-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Anyone out there going to jump in and make a breach mod that can be used for the new Tiberius Sniper Round

I think a new breach for the 2009 Micro could work well. Have it either grvity feed down or spring feed from a horizontal.

Swamp

Smoothice
02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
have you seen the spring fed 10rnd tubes noxx 55 is making?

Something like that but with a oblong shaped tube.

But the breech mod will be the tough part.

I would think any mag or marker that has a removable breech could have a new breech made.

trippleRipple
02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
have you seen the spring fed 10rnd tubes noxx 55 is making?

Something like that but with a oblong shaped tube.

But the breech mod will be the tough part.

I would think any mag or marker that has a removable breech could have a new breech made.

I guess these round would not be used on the wholesale level that our standard paint ball rounds get used. so maybe a single shot design like a side by side shotgun might be the easiest way.

It would be single shot but a fairly easy and quick reload process.

Swamp Thing
02-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Here are the only practical ways I can see to use these

1. Use your standard gun and load by takeing off the barrel.

2. Use your standard gun and load by dropping down the feed neck. (May have some issues getting it to line up correctly)

3. Mod or buy a new Tiberius that is rigged to use this round

4. Mod a gun to be a bolt action manually loaded gun

5. Produce a modified breach for guns like the X mag or 2009 Micromag that can accept an alternate breach.

Can anyone think of another option??

Swamp

Spider-TW
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
What is the overall length of the round? All I can find are diameters.

skyless
02-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I like the shotgun thought, Like a break action where there is a hing on the rail so the body would open between the breach and the barrel, still one shot at a time but would be pretty fast. That way you could still be using regular balls if you could stop the feed to load the sniper round.

MoeMag
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Tippmann SMG-60

http://www.vintagerex.com/pics/gunpics/Tippmann/SMG-60/manuals/Tippmann%20SMG%20-%20schematic.jpg

How about that... :D

anyone still have one?

insixdays777
02-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I think a cam arm system like on the Omen would woork well for this type of round...cam arms would be operated with pump or bolt, spring would push rounds down clip/ cam arms push in breach....

Smoothice
02-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I like the shotgun thought, Like a break action where there is a hing on the rail so the body would open between the breach and the barrel, still one shot at a time but would be pretty fast. That way you could still be using regular balls if you could stop the feed to load the sniper round.

Problem with hand loading these is they are not shotgun shells. They are fairly delicate tiny paintballs.

You can't just stick them on a belt like shells. And if you plan on taking them out of the current tube they come in then you are going to need 2 hands just to take them out.

I would also like to know how these measure from tip to tail.

DevilMan
02-16-2009, 04:28 PM
hmmmm... never had one of the SMG's... may have to dig one up now... it would be the first tippman I'd ever own...

:D

Here's an idea I drew up just now...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u60/DevilMan75/PBallin/FSMag.jpg

The black is the outline over all.
The red would be a feed ramp that sat on top/was made to the blue which is a slider that sits on top of the spring which is green. There would be a knob on the front and the back of the slider to slide it down and latch it like a PT Extreme mag. The purple at the top is meant to be a dovetail slot that you could mill onto a breech to go onto an X or Micro mag. you could keep two or three of the mags loaded and ready and just slip it down onto the dovetail on the side to use em. Then reload the magazines when you got a chance.

DM

vivalamexico
02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
What about a spring fed drum magazine like on a jackhammer shotgun. The round is always pointed forward and doesnt have to reorient itself at any time during loading. Plus its a drum so its more compact then having a long magazine type loading system.

Swamp Thing
02-16-2009, 04:57 PM
the FN 303 uses a drum mag so perhaps it could be modified to be used on a paintball gun or perhaps they can make a baby bro to the real life version. The real life can unit has a version that can be mounted to a M-16 so the ultimate IMO would be to have it like an over/under combo where you have a marker with standard rounds as well as a drum fed long distance marker to use when that is needed.

The above is fantasy but why not dream big.

Swamp

Thotograph
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I think it'd be fun to cut up a sniper pump. Maybe a breach loader or small spring/gravity fed ammo box that sits on top and holds an extra round or two. If they are as accurate as they say you won't need many. Considering how cheap Phantom bodies are you could mod up one of them if you want to keep it small and lightweight. It's be so cool to see a break breach type gun (maybe work with a phantom platform) made with this round in mind. If this becomes a viable product we could very well see another company design a gun around it. Provided Tiberius doesn't withhold the right to do so.

I think it'd be a blast to have a T9 slung on your back kitted up with this conversion and then run a standard marker as well for scenarios. Something light and tight like maybe a mag on a remote (like the milsim micro I plan on building). So you can run n gun with your standard rig and then whip out the sniper rifle if you get into a concealed spot near the base and want to assasinate a general or whatever. I dunno just fantasizing about some great glory kill. I think I'm gonna get a used T9 and have it swapped over at some point. I've got a T8 but I'm gonna leave her as is. No sense in converting a pistol imo.

Props to PCP and Tiberius. This is really really cool stuff.

Spider-TW
02-16-2009, 05:02 PM
I would also like to know how these measure from tip to tail.
So they're ~.686 or ~.679

That's an easy breech mod if the bolt catches them properly. I wonder if you could grind back a ULE body and drop the round in the top. Not that it's practical, just an interesting test.

Hilltop Customs
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Here are the only practical ways I can see to use these

1. Use your standard gun and load by takeing off the barrel.

2. Use your standard gun and load by dropping down the feed neck. (May have some issues getting it to line up correctly)

3. Mod or buy a new Tiberius that is rigged to use this round

4. Mod a gun to be a bolt action manually loaded gun

5. Produce a modified breach for guns like the X mag or 2009 Micromag that can accept an alternate breach.

Can anyone think of another option??

Swamp

Dropping the round in the feedneck will be nearly impossible to do, the rounds would have to be dropped in vertically, then rotated inside the breach....thats not going to be possible since the round is longer than a paintball. It might be possible if the round is pushed and the fins deformed, but I really dont think it will work.

Find or make a D shapped feed tube for the rounds and cut a D shaped hole in the breach. Old SS mag bodies would be perfect for this. I'd also spring load the feed tube.

Gravity feeding these rounds from a tube could cause some problems, even if the rounds are correctly oriented in a feed tube. Shoot through half the rounds in the tube and there is empty space for the rounds to bounce as you run or move the marker....a round could rotate into a fin up orientation, fall into the breach in that orientation, and get the fins chopped in half. If it needs to be spring fed, it might as well be out of the line of sight and fed from the bottom of the marker.....

The accuracy and distance of these rounds is nice, but I'm pretty sure anyone on a field hand loading single shot will end up getting smoked. Even though they are faster and more accurate, there is still a delay from taking a shot to the ball getting on target...it wont 1 shot 1 kill unless you are a perfect judge of range and the target doesnt move. Something like a 10 round spring fed clip which works for semi-auto would be the best bet IMHO. Tiberius has it pretty much nailed with their marker conversion.

p8ntbal4me
02-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Look up the Tagline TS-1 (now called the ATS TS-1)

Thats a magazine fed marker,..... and if correctly done with the magazine,.. you could get it to work (but the gun itself sucks!)

That SMG would be a PRIME candidate! :)

~ P8nt

Ninjeff
02-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Revolver.

Someone just needs to make some type of rifle-esq revolver.

Heck, i want a paintball revolver anyway.
Doesnt seem like it would be that hard.....

Or, someone could widen a warp feed, turn it side-ways and have them feed like an off set drum magazine.

Or, perhaps the easiest, is figure out a way to use the Tibireus clips on a mag, maybe using a power feed cut out to accept the rounds with an additional piece that "latches" in the clip.

Swamp Thing
02-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I wonder is one of the markers that may also handle this might not be the Q loader SSI. I have not looked but if is bottom fed straight up into the gun. I think if you take the Q socket off you may find that a bolt on magazine may be possible to construct.

Swamp

zondo
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Couldn't you just use a piece like a carrier in pump action shotguns? This would lend itself to using the longbow type system so no change in designing a shaped magazine, but it would still need a different style feed hole.

Hilltop Customs
02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Couldn't you just use a piece like a carrier in pump action shotguns? This would lend itself to using the longbow type system so no change in designing a shaped magazine, but it would still need a different style feed hole.

Because of the hollow backside of the rounds, it would be pretty complicated to load them with that type of system. The tail would fall into the breach, but the nose would still be contained in the backside of the next round. To use that type of system you would have to hold the next shot in place while separating and loading the current round. The shotgun/longbow type of feed was the first thing that popped into my mind too, but unfortunately, I think it would be pretty complicated loading them in that style. If you reverse it and have the rounds come from the rear of the marker it opens up a few more options, but it would still be a pretty complicated loading operation.

zondo
02-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Because of the hollow backside of the rounds, it would be pretty complicated to load them with that type of system. The tail would fall into the breach, but the nose would still be contained in the backside of the next round. To use that type of system you would have to hold the next shot in place while separating and loading the current round. The shotgun/longbow type of feed was the first thing that popped into my mind too, but unfortunately, I think it would be pretty complicated loading them in that style. If you reverse it and have the rounds come from the rear of the marker it opens up a few more options, but it would still be a pretty complicated loading operation.

You and your feed systems... :rolleyes:

doc_Zox
02-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Tom Kaye already figured out the reliable way to feed these rounds:
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//303.jpg

MANN
02-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Tom Kaye already figured out the reliable way to feed these rounds:

but I want one that can put out 13.3 bps. Not cause I need it, but cause I want one.

michbich
02-16-2009, 11:54 PM
but I want one that can put out 13.3 bps. Not cause I need it, but cause I want one.
You mean 13,3$ps.

notcreative
02-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Think of the possibilities cutting up a nerve.

skyless
02-17-2009, 01:21 AM
It would be hard to convert a regular mag to use a barrel feed. Bummer that the grip frame is in the way for doing an under feed as well. maybe its time for someone to make a new grip/rail combo that allow for more options.

Mabie even make a rail that takes the FS clips and have an under feed and set back grip with sight mounts on the body, with option for a hopper as well. I was also thinking that if these rounds are longer then paintballs that the detents would get in the way as well so that has to be figured too.

On second thought, make better clips without having the air source in them.

ultralight
02-17-2009, 08:52 AM
can someone show me where it says that these are longer than a paintball?

If i remember correctly, they are the same length, just a square back side instead of round. I know somebody mic'd one, but i can't find the thread.

Swamp Thing
02-17-2009, 10:25 AM
There is nothing that I would like to see more than for that FN 303 posted above to be translated into a marker that I can use Tomorrow but barring info that this is in the works I need to figure how to use my current markers with the First Strike Rounds

Swamp

hitech
02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
can someone show me where it says that these are longer than a paintball?

If i remember correctly, they are the same length, just a square back side instead of round. I know somebody mic'd one, but i can't find the thread.

What are the measurements of these rounds from tip to tail?

0.686"

But you have to remember that in side profile the back is square which means they can't drop into the breech of a normal gun in the orientation required for them to be fired.

It's kind of like a square plug won't go into a round hole. :)

As for the other dimensional discussions, they appear to be almost identical to my FN303 rounds for the base dimensions, but the tails on several of the FS rounds are oval (I suspect not on purpose but due to the manufacturing with such a thin wall) and this means that the dimensions can be larger or smaller than the equator depending on how you measure them.

Mine are all around 0.686 at the equator too.

Unfortunately this means they don't fit into my glass barrel which is 0.68 :(

There you go...

:cheers:

skyless
02-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Guess i read that wrong, Cool. They look like they are longer but thanks for clearing that up.

luke
02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I think this is interesting, but I think the whole thing is being overly thought out. I haven't really studied the two threads on this subject, but my first impression is it would be an easy mod on a stainless steel body. You would need to dedicate the body and barrel to this type of paintball, but my first impression is it could be done.

I don’t think getting someone to manufacture a loader at this stage of the game would be the way to make this work. I think a simple solution would be the first route, whether it is hand loading a few rounds a time or a loading tube similar to the RNC mod with a “cocking/loading arm” to push it in the breach. A mod such as this most likely would be doable.

I would have to hold my final thoughts on the subject until after I got my hands on the rounds themselves. But there are some pretty cool possibilities with this type of round.

Perhaps way down the road TK could rework his "conveyer" loader for this type of round. :D But first I think the market would have to be willing to wrap its head around the idea of this new paintball first.

Enemy
02-18-2009, 02:48 AM
modular guns like the xmag and ptp mag would be easy to do a feed system for this with a clip feed and a squareish breach that can lock the clips in sideways as far as other guns you would have to completely dedicate a body to running this round, I kinda like an earlier post which said muzzle load when you want the range and keep a hopper full of regular cheap paint for the up close fire power, actually cost wise and tactically speaking this is the best way to go just use a straight shot as the muzzle loader. The only disadvantage is you cant walk your shots in so practice with these rounds is big. The other way to do it would be a P90 style clip which rotates the rounds from sideways to straight right above the breach so you can run the clip long ways flat on top of the gun.

This round would be great for a muzzle loading civil war style game where everyone had to muzzle load! yeah that would be a blast!!

russc
02-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Tippmann SMG-60

http://www.vintagerex.com/pics/gunpics/Tippmann/SMG-60/manuals/Tippmann%20SMG%20-%20schematic.jpg

How about that... :D

anyone still have one?

Yes, I have both SMGs. I fully intend to blast through a couple tubes of first strikes just for the hell of it as soon as I lay my hands on them. If anyone wants to donate some to the cause, let me know!