PDA

View Full Version : quad o-ring

DamianTC
02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
ok this might sound dumb, but I never used one and don't know. but what are the performance advantages that a quad o-ring gives over the normal one in an on/off?

flyingpootang
02-18-2009, 01:04 AM
ok this might sound dumb, but I never used one and don't know. but what are the performance advantages that a quad o-ring gives over the normal one in an on/off?

Less holding area/friction

Spider-TW
02-18-2009, 09:54 AM
^what he said. :)

However, I really couldn't tell much difference in a classic valve. I've heard of emag owners using standard orings in a pinch, but I don't know what the performance was. The point being that they don't seem to make a huge difference.

To really take advantage of them, the pin stroke needs to be controlled so that it seals on the bottom of the oring only. Once you've hit both seal surfaces on a quad you're not getting that much for it. If you can tune a standard oring to just barely seal, you're just about there anyway. A quad gives you about .020 or so to hit that target, whereas a standard oring has to be right on the edge.

Trigger overtravel stops make end of pin travel consistent. You set the stop to fire plus a little more to provide clearance and reliability. After that, you can more easily tell what your top on/off orings are doing. Otherwise, when you pull the trigger farther back, you're just poking the on/off pin further through the oring, making it take more time to come back.

Tunaman
02-19-2009, 12:55 AM
The quad oring is used in the emag to promote longer battery life. ;)

Spider-TW
02-19-2009, 09:47 AM
The quad oring is used in the emag to promote longer battery life. ;)
Slight hijack...

Does the solenoid plunger on an emag limit the sear travel when the trigger is pulled in mech mode?

Tunaman
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
No. The travel would be determined by the trigger rod length. This is why alot of guys have problems getting the valve out. Too short of a trigger rod and the valve won't press the on/off pin all the way and the valve wont come out. The upward travel of the sear to properly lock the bolt is preset by the sear hitting the body on the way up. ;)

Konigballer
02-20-2009, 12:22 AM
man, this is why I'm scared to mod anything on my new RT valve. How the hell am I supposed to remember all this stuff! :tard:

I guess I'll just keep things pretty stock so I don't screw anything up... :confused:

Spider-TW
02-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Too short of a trigger rod and the valve won't press the on/off pin all the way and the valve wont come out.
Trigger and sear stops can do the same thing. I forget that I usually file a ramp on the back-inside of the field strip screw hole in the body. That lets me play at least .030 further out on the pin and still get the valve out.