PDA

View Full Version : VL Quantum: I refuse to believe the PBN conventional wisdom

shadow462
02-20-2009, 12:18 AM
So, I've been playing a lot of pump lately. I'm considering a new hopper.

The BE Pocket Hopper is terribly fragile and the lid is too small for pod loading, and the capacity is minimal.

The Winchester Pocket Hopper is more durable, but the lid sucks and it is still very small.

I just don't like the Sport Shot ::shrug::. They're perpetually sold out anyway.

I want something smaller and lighter than Halo/VLocity/etc. hoppers.

The Quantum can be had for next to nothing. Takes one 9v. Looks to be considerably smaller and lighter than other options. Impeller offers a nice anti-jam option.

I would almost certainly do an intelli-like hack to a pushbutton so it's not constant-on anymore.

Basically, my questions are:

How much smaller/lighter is the Quantum compared to other loaders?

How noisy is the actual operation compared to a revvy?

Many seem to hate the corkscrew impeller. Is it possible/preferable to rig a Revvy impeller to the Quantum driveshaft to improve performance?

As I said, I know this isn't going to outfeed my VLocity. I am just looking for something to slap on my pump that strikes a balance between pocket hoppers and the big boys.

Thanks in advance for your help.

DevilMan
02-20-2009, 12:24 AM
I'll PM you some info... :D

Give me time to take the pics though...

DM

shadow462
02-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time, no hurry!

Chronobreak
02-20-2009, 09:44 AM
it is essentialy a revvy that they bypassed the eyes. appears to be the same motor

might be easier than you think to get eyes or something on there. or maybe run an intelli like hack sou have a microswitch by your fingeron the grip.

but they honestly dont feed well,

ide op for a 9 or 12 volt revvy myself, if your not gonna use a sportshot

or maybe the empire equivalent

Spider-TW
02-20-2009, 09:52 AM
I'll PM you some info... :D

Give me time to take the pics though...

DM
You don't care to share that note with the class, Mr. Devil? :p

I don't play a lot of pump, but I am surprised how hard it is to find a good intermediate sized hopper.

BigEvil
02-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Ive been playing pump for a long time and I have two lines of thought.

The first one is that one of the smaller gravity fed hoppers is fine for smaller games, such as Freedom's Pump & Pistol indoor events.

Second - if I am playing outdoors I run a 9v revy.

Quite frankly, any sort of motorized loader is overkill on a pump, and the only reason I think I use it is because I have it. If you can find an old Indian Springs 150 rnd loader, those work great for pumpers.

shadow462
02-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks, BigE!

I had pretty much forgotten about those IS hoppers. I don't think I've owned one for at least 5 years. I'll have to track one down.

When I'm playing all-pump games, my pocket hopper is fine. However, lately I have been playing walk-ons where I am the only pump and I just go through more paint. Reloading the pocket hoppers is a PITA because the mouth is so small.

Thanks for the thoughts, take care!

Ruler_Mark
02-20-2009, 10:08 AM
I use a rico on my pump.

Pump Scout
02-20-2009, 10:29 AM
I use a rico on my pump.

Same here. The 9v AK does just fine on my J2, and it's one of those "hey, what is that thing" kind of deals. I like that. :D

DevilMan
02-20-2009, 02:17 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u60/DevilMan75/MillWork/Hoppers.jpg
I realize it's not a Revvie... It's a Reloader... which hmmmm I guess I should put up for sale if someone wants it because most of my markers are too quiet to set it off... But anyway...

It started with a Reloader that had bum shells. And I love the size of the USI hoppers and love the feed rate of them and love the rubber cap on them. Some of the best hoppers EVER made I think. I mean they are flexible, they fit feednecks PERFECTLY on all kinds, they don't break lids... Anyway.... I love the things... Still a bit larger than what I want on a pump but still smaller than the next option.

Anyway.... I took the insides out and took a dremel to it... The USI hopper has only be mod'd by drilling 2 holes in it!!! And neither one of those holes affects it's use as a regular hopper!!!! There is a hole in the bottom for the impeller to go in and there is a hole in the top to allow you to get a screw driver in there to screw the impeller back on. That's it!!! The whole mod.... well it took awhile because I was going to do it differently... little by little that other idea wasn't working so it kept getting smaller and smaller til I got to this point.

The idea being that basically if you have a revi with bad shells, say one that got stepped on, you just hack off the top and cut the feedneck off the bottom of this one and you'd be good to go. I was planning on "sealing" up the front of the hatch behind the feedneck and affixing it permanently with glue and such, but thought what the hell... I do still plan on sealing the holes that the zip ties go through on the drive system and mroe than likely I'll move the ties down and through the body of the hopper and not up and around the collar. But that's something that wasn't important to me and I didn't want to bother with the zip tie and cutting more holes in the hopper just yet.

Anyway... feel free to ask any questions.... Looks pretty clear though....

DM

Oh and if you will notice.... it sits VERY LOW to the gun. See the feedneck compared to the drive system? The whole system almost touches the top of the marker... As long as you don't have one of those 2" feednecks... Another thing I loved about it.

shadow462
02-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Very nice hack.

Sumthinwicked
02-20-2009, 06:42 PM
i use a pb virus 100 rd hopper

deathbypaint1213
02-20-2009, 08:28 PM
I do not play pump, but there are these 200 round hoppers made by ARCHON. They perform better than your average vl 200 In my opinion. I use a Ricochet Apache LED on my mag, and I had no problems. Whenever I have played with my ricochet, I had never had a hopper hit. They go for around 25 bucks on actionvillage.