PDA

View Full Version : Question about 8-Hole air-efficeny

MAGslinger
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I have an older Automag with the 8-Hole Mod, is it going to chug more gas than the standard 68 Classic valve? Is there a difference in recharge time between the stock 68 Classic valve and eight-hole one? I'm trying to thin the herd, and keep at least two Automags instead of four.

secretweaponevan
02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I have an older Automag with the 8-Hole Mod, is it going to chug more gas than the standard 68 Classic valve? Is there a difference in recharge time between the stock 68 Classic valve and eight-hole one? I'm trying to thin the herd, and keep at least two Automags instead of four.

It won't chug more gas. It should recharge almost as fast (we're talking milliseconds) as a Classic valve as it is increasing post-regulator volume by a tiny, tiny amount.

The 8-hole mod was for the earliest of mags (not Classics) that didn't have the gas paths lined up. AFAIK, every valve that is engraved with "Classic" is index threaded so the holes line up. The 8-hole mod is useless on Classics.

vivalamexico
02-22-2009, 01:37 PM
...The 8-hole mod is useless on Classics.

The 8 hole mod is useless anyway if all 8 holes fail to line up as well...

michbich
02-22-2009, 03:25 PM
If i remember correctly, the 8 hole mod was to help the flow of air. Defective valves would not line up properly and this was suppose to correct it. It does nothing else.

athomas
02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
The valves weren't defective. It just wasn't considered when they were machined, that the reduced air flow would be a problem. It was quickly realized that it was once users figured out how to get high rates of fire with the mag. The rates of fire were much higher than any other marker had previously achieved and of course, drop off was noticed. All sorts of mods were done, but all that really needed was to drill a new hole in the back section that lined up with the hole in the front section. It was a very easy fix that could be done at home with a vise and a hand drill. All the newer classic valves were machined such that all valve backs lined up and the problem went away.