PDA

View Full Version : APEX Barrel

Nick28
02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
I was playing in the woods the other weekend and was amazed at how far a flatline was shooting compared to my ultralite. After some searching I came across the APEX. Anyone familiar with the APEX? The rounding corners seems nice but I'm really going for distance. The field is about 12 acres with some wide open areas, just don't like being shot at from guys I can't reach.

tweter
02-21-2009, 11:09 AM
stick with the flatline if you have tippmann Ive heard the apex is tricky to use but it does in fact hook the balls left or right not heard anything about extra distance though

steve_81
02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
The Apex is nice and it does actually give you the ability to shoot players that are behind trees and bunkers that you may not be able to see or get a good shot at.

Being able to out shoot the other team distance wise is a great advantage.

dark blade
02-21-2009, 11:57 AM
the apex in my opinion is better than the flatline, you can put just the apex tip on any barrel you want so that you get the accuracy and distance.

You can change the ramp height on the apex to make it more steep or less steep and give a different amount of backspin which creates either farther or let farther distance. When it is turned off it acts like a normal barrel so putting it on a freak kit or any other kit gives you accuracy, then when you turn the ramp on you slowely lose a bit of accuracy for distance.

The flatline is just always distance and never accuracy... and the flatline can curve around things too... you just have to tilt the entire marker.

APEX FTW

MANN
02-21-2009, 12:00 PM
The Apex is nice and it does actually give you the ability to shoot players that are behind trees and bunkers that you may not be able to see or get a good shot at.

No it doesnt. The apex/ flatline are nothing more than lobbing balls. Shoot it high enough it will eventually fall / arc.

waste of money IMO. I had one for a few weeks, and was glad to see it go.

steve_81
02-21-2009, 12:02 PM
hmm....everyone has there opinions.

MANN
02-21-2009, 12:04 PM
hmm... you must not have been using it right..

lol. That is probably it. :rofl: I am quit the noob when regarding paintball barrels.

Looper
02-21-2009, 01:46 PM
hmm....everyone has there opinions.It's just that some are better than others...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2218018

:ninja:

Dawg047
02-22-2009, 12:46 PM
All this has been talked about when TK did barrel tests. I think if the flatline or Apex makes a difference, TK would have designed it or put it on the mags. I believe there was no advantage to backspin due to the liquid center of the paintball and the Flatline design simply just lobbed the balls and was equal to tilting a regular barrel up. Witht the Apex, if it curves balls around trees and bunkers, I personally don't want that. Heck, what happens when somebody is out in the open? Can't hit them or what? I am kind of fuzzy on the tests TK ran. Don't quote me on those. If I had to choose, I would choose the Flatline. People will tell you the Flatline is good because they have to justify some how for spending $150 on it. I would stick with the Ultralight though. I have been shooting them for years and they are the best barrel I have ran across.

X'tMag'd
02-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Witht the Apex, if it curves balls around trees and bunkers, I personally don't want that. Heck, what happens when somebody is out in the open? Can't hit them or what?
You can adjust the apex on the fly.
Adjustable ramp switch - choose the desired level of curve or no curve at all
Left hook, right hook, drop shot with a twist of the barrel

paullus99
02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I find the ramps need replacing waaaay too often. With Kee now owning them, it has been very, very hard for the few guys I play with to find replacements. Not a cold weather barrel either - below 40 degrees they have a tendency to eat paint (the rubber gets hard).

Swamp Thing
02-22-2009, 03:26 PM
I am not a big fan of either as when they are used you get some distance advantage but at the price of accuracy.

Apex is better if you are gonna go that way because it can be turned off. Flatline can not.

Apex is highly dependent on both the way you hold you marker and its rotation relative to the barrel

In order to get more effective range it must be lined up perfect anything less than straight up and down and it will curve. So if you hit something and your barrel rotates or if you are holding your marker a little different then when you "Set" the apex you can get some curve.

I only like apexes for one thing. Use on a Quad or DT. The reason I like them there is that is weapon is about suppressing fire. The apex be used so that you can get a little more coverage with your gun and it it gets slightly off no big deal you are not firing at any one thing simply bombarding an area.

Last thing is that even if you can "Reach out and touch someone" at that kind of range the odds of a break are not great so you need to remember that as well.

Swamp

Barsse
02-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I used to run with APEX on my A-5, using LAPCO barrel, it rocked for me! The balls flew straight, no curving left or right. Tried with red dot, but couldn't set it low enough, because the ball goes down at an angle, however with iron sights - I could hit anything with the first shot guaranteed. Maybe I just got a good APEX.

The only problem with APEX is that it is hard to get used to raising your barrel, and it will kill you in CQB. However if you don't mind staying back and sniping - go for it, I could swear by my APEX. :headbang: But now I switched to 'Mag, running with only 4 paintballs in my powerfeed, no hopper, and no desire for staying back. :shooting:

Dawg047
02-22-2009, 04:35 PM
You can adjust the apex on the fly.
Adjustable ramp switch - choose the desired level of curve or no curve at all
Left hook, right hook, drop shot with a twist of the barrel
That I did not know. Sweet, so maybe the Apex is decent. Chnages my view on them completely. I see where that could be helpful. Is the curve consistent in one direction?

Swamp Thing
02-22-2009, 05:28 PM
the curve and be either direction

You basically have

UP Cruve (Flatline)
Down Cruve (Dive Bomb)

Right and L curve

Swamp