PDA

View Full Version : Seperating an AllAmerican

Watcher
02-24-2009, 02:34 AM
Ok, I've got this old SP AllAmerican I don't want and can't seem to get rid of.

It is similar to the one in this thread (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239633) labeled "F" (sorry about snatching the thread :( ) but it is all black.

I noticed a recent thread about super short RT barrels and I wanted to get/make one just for laughs.

Then I remembered the AA sitting in my gearbag and I grabbed it.

I was going to put a pipe cutter to it, but I noticed there is a seam because it is really a 2 piece barrel.

Is there any reasonable way to go about seperating the front from the back? Idk if they are pressed together or if they are threaded but they don't seem to want to unscrew too easy...

Thanks.

trevorjk
02-24-2009, 02:42 AM
i believe the old style all Americans are like the old style Dye Boomsticks. the 2 pieces are glued 2 or press fit. if you want i would try heating up the joint where the 2 pieces fit together to weaken the glue or what ever adhesive they used to put them together. but if you do, you will probably never have a truly straight barrel again if you try to put it back together

Watcher
02-24-2009, 02:52 AM
I wouldn't try to put it back together... the muzzle has chips and probably adversely affects the paintballs when they pass it :p

How would I heat it up... I need a torch or can I boil it or something?

[NA]WARLORD
02-24-2009, 02:19 PM
You need a vice, a heat source and a strap wrench. You can use a hair dryer for a heat source, just tape off all the holes in the body, or a torch, just make sure you dont hold it near the barrel for long. Strap in barrel to vice, heat barrel for a minute or two, and it should pop out with the strap wrench. I used this to remove a two piece splashed AA tip to have someone Freak thread it for me. Works well.

Shingo
02-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Boiling it might work if it's glued together with CA Glue or Super Glue. then try to see if it comes apart every 15 minutes of boiling.

I do this with my glued RC Truck tires. I've also stuck my tires in the oven for 45 minutes at 400* to loosen the glue.

But if your impatient... I'm sure you can put a torch to it. Post pics when you're done!

Watcher
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
WARLORD']You need a vice, a heat source and a strap wrench. You can use a hair dryer for a heat source, just tape off all the holes in the body, or a torch, just make sure you dont hold it near the barrel for long. Strap in barrel to vice, heat barrel for a minute or two, and it should pop out with the strap wrench. I used this to remove a two piece splashed AA tip to have someone Freak thread it for me. Works well.

Strap wrench... so is it actually threaded and glued or does it just need to be twisted out?
Which end do I vice and which end do I strap?
Tape the holes? What for?

A hairdryer... well, my dad is a barber so he has plenty of those laying around. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I borrowed it :p

And I just got a very nice strap wrench...

And the trusty vice is sitting in the garage...

I might just try it tonight...

I'll post pics of the process if I can, or a video, or a slideshow, or a mix, I'll see how I feel when I do it :rolleyes:

Zone Drifter
02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
For separating feednecks i usually just take a candle and evenly heat up around the area at a distance close to, but far enough from the flame so it doesn't leave any marks. I'd try it on the barrel. I actually have that barrel, but... don't want to try it, lol.

[NA]WARLORD
02-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Strap wrench... so is it actually threaded and glued or does it just need to be twisted out?

To my knowledge, they were just press fit inside, but someone suggested a few years ago that they were epoxied together.

Which end do I vice and which end do I strap?

The back portion goes in the vice, the strap wrench goes on the ported part.

Tape the holes? What for?

Taping the holes on the hair dryer cause it to heat up hotter, it also can cause it to overheat and short out if you use it for too long. I suggest using an old one so your dad doesn't come after you for killing his hair dryer :P

A hairdryer... well, my dad is a barber so he has plenty of those laying around. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I borrowed it :p

See above

Watcher
02-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Finished. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIn4jMTOFaY)

Now the only question is what to do with the tip...

UThomas
02-25-2009, 12:02 AM
To my knowledge, they were just press fit inside, but someone suggested a few years ago that they were epoxied together.

The ones I have seen in two were epoxied not press fit.

Watcher
02-25-2009, 12:39 AM
The ones I have seen in two were epoxied not press fit.

Mine was glued...

Shingo
02-25-2009, 01:08 PM
This makes me want to try just using the back of my barrel kit... hmmm

I like LOUD :D ... which was one of the reason's I bought a Spyder 14+ years ago. It sounded like a cannon back in the day before barrels were heavily ported. Forget pop-pop-pop... more like... BOOM-BOOM-BOOM!!!!

Watcher
02-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Its even more awsome on my Pro:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4281/shortyrtpro.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4508/shortyrtpro2.jpg

:D

Shingo
02-25-2009, 07:27 PM
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4281/shortyrtpro.jpg

I have a muzzle break that clamps onto the end of barrels like that. it would look pretty sweet! :headbang:

Watcher
02-26-2009, 12:08 AM
I have a muzzle break that clamps onto the end of barrels like that. it would look pretty sweet! :headbang:

Lol, I could just see the OpsGear Dishka on there :eek: