PDA

View Full Version : Professional Ref? Me?

cphilip
01-29-2002, 01:51 PM
I and my Friend Walt (Dr. Ligon, search for my reprint of Walts thoughts on paintball post) were discussing this the other night over Pizza. We are both getting too old and have bad backs to realy be too much good playing a lot...and want to stay active in the sport as much as we can. He mentioned he was reading somewhere that some organization was trying to get up a league of people to form a kind of professional Referee type thing. He knew who it was but I have since forgotten (second thing to go...). We were seriously considering going in that direction or at least exploring it. Our infirmaties still allow us to move pretty good but I for one cannot stay hunkered down bent over for long when the back is messing with me. But if I am upright a lot I am OK. Since we do that for the club on a regular basis and do know what it involves and realizing that Proper Referee action is one of the things most lacking in the sport it interests us to do something like that. I do not think continuing to get people catch as catch can to ref is the way to go. I think it could help the sport to concentrate on having people who are dedicated just to officiating. Since I have the Camper we could easily travel and stay cheap because we doubt there will be much in the way of pay. So lets hear anything from some of you "in the know" on if this is going in that direction and waht if any training and certification standards will be imposed to do this. Certification and qualifications standards and such.

2000Sabre
01-29-2002, 02:04 PM
cphilip,

there was an indepth ariticle in one of the recent APG or Paintball2Xtremes magazines about establishing professional refrees for the sport of paintball. They were advocating some of the things you're mentioning such as certification and training. They even published a code of conduct for people interested in seeking certification. I'll see if I can find a link to the article and post it here.

cphilip
01-29-2002, 02:07 PM
Yes. Walt gets APG so maybe that was where he saw it. Thanks.

PB700
01-29-2002, 02:09 PM
there is a add on the MNpig for refs [www.mnpig.com]call 858-526-9100. I think there should tournaments for us people over 40 with tall bunkers

cphilip
01-29-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by PB700
I think there should tournaments for us people over 40 with tall bunkers

I hear ya! You obviously know what I am talking about then? However my inability to stay hunkered down does contribute to my aggressive style of play...I gotta move before my legs cramp up and I fall over screamin like a girl...but it gets me shot out early a lot too!:D

PB700
01-29-2002, 02:14 PM
there is a add on the MNpig for refs [www.mnpig.com]call 858-526-9100. I think there should tournaments for us people over 40 with tall bunkers

cphilip
01-29-2002, 02:17 PM
Oooops! Somebody is using the back button on a blazing 28Kbps phone connection... :p

2000Sabre
01-29-2002, 02:19 PM
Here's the link to PRO. Paintball Referees Organization. This is what the APG article was about. Check it out

http://www.paintballrefs.com/

cphilip
01-29-2002, 03:01 PM
Good stuff. I already filled out my application! Thanks.

hitech
01-29-2002, 04:00 PM
Yeah, me too. I use to ref at Jim Livley's (sp?) tournaments. I really enjoyed it. I'm not getting any younger either. However, it's more that I just don't like "speedball".

FaSSt
01-30-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by 2000Sabre
...there was an indepth ariticle in one of the recent APG ....

LOL

I don't think APG has EVER had an in-depth article on ANYTHING! Not possible! LOL An in-depth or grammatically correct article in APG - good one!

Good luck with your reffing aspirations, though, chillip.

cphilip
01-30-2002, 03:08 PM
Yea thanks...I might not do it now though. You see those rules against drinking beer? Whats up with that!!! :D

hitmanng
01-30-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

.....my legs cramp up and I fall over screamin like a girl...:D

I would pay good money for a video of that. :D
Hitmanng

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
01-31-2002, 07:23 AM
NPPL said they might be looking for some, so they don't have biased refs for a tourniment.

zvanut
01-31-2002, 05:13 PM
im sure phil wouldnt be toooo biased towards mag shooter would you?