PDA

View Full Version : Wow...feels like I have been away for years....

WSCopic
02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Greetings Mag faithful.

I had a bad spell of health issues about this time last year that kind of brought my PB playing to a halt. It feels like it has been years, but it has only been one.

Anyway, just before my incident, I had picked up a PTP MicroMag and tried to install a LVL 10 kit in it, with no success.

I never did get it to work. Air was hissing out the back of the AIR valve, air was leaking down the barrel. The smallest o-ring had no friction on the bolt. It was infuriating.

I propose this question to you all:

Should I pick back up where I left off, or just scrap the dang thing and re-install the original parts that worked flawlessly.

Opinions or even ideas on what may be my LVL 10 issues?

Regards,
W

WSCopic
02-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Oops, didn't really mean to post this in the tech forum. Sorry, feel free to move to another more suitable forum, if you can. :( :(

Sorry, totally spaced that one off.

Konigballer
02-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I would just re-install your old Level7 bolt so you can isolate all your problems and work on them one at a time. Some of this might be stuff you already know about but its best to take it slow , one thing at a time:

-First- air hissing out the back of your reg is a reg problem soley I believe. Make sure your velocity isn't jacked way up, and definately check your reg seat and make sure it's totally clean and seated right. Consult your owners manual, or download it from AGD if its still screwy.

-If your gun leaks down the barrel even when you pull the trigger and hold it then your on/off is your source of problems. Check and re-lube all your orings, or replace them totally. Once thats done and it still leaks down the barrel, see if it stops when you pull and hold the trigger. If it does stop when you hold down the trigger than the on/off is ok and doing it's job.

-Now install your Level10 bolt, following the step by step instructions from AGD totally. The problem with this whole thing, which AGD always knew, is orings. You might hae to order a replacement set to work with. Every batch of orings is a little different, and even when you find the 'right' size carrier it might take quite a bit of dry firing to get everything seated just right. Definately get a full air fill, or two, to tinker with this.

Good luck!

WSCopic
02-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I had done all of the basics back then to no avail.

The seals had all been replaced with new, and the gun worked flawlessly before the LVLX.

The air out the back was due to over pressurizing, I was told, and had something to do with my older valve. Had to jack the pressure way up to get it to work at all with the LVLX.

The air down the barrel is directly related to the LVLX, as well. I could never get the o-rings to seal up right.

Bah, I am gonna rip that sucker out and pretend it never happened. Maybe they just don't like MicroMags. :(

At least it worked, before. Sure, I chopped a little, but it worked well.

Stupid LVLX cost me like $60 and it has never worked. Grrr.

Konigballer
02-26-2009, 12:37 PM
"The air out the back was due to over pressurizing, I was told, and had something to do with my older valve. Had to jack the pressure way up to get it to work at all with the LVLX."

This is weird to me, that you have to make your vavle work harder just to function with a LvlX bolt. Do you own, or know anyone with a classic valve that you can drop in your Micro and try and setup with your LvlX? If it worked you would then know that your LvlX was fine, but your older valve was not compatable and needs to be replaced.

WSCopic
02-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I was told by multiple people here that the PTP MicroMag valve should be identical to the other valves of that era and should have no compatibility issues withthe LVLX kit.

You have to crank up the velocity, I believe, to get the LVLX up to the velocity you had before installation. Someone told me I had an older AIR valve spring pack or some such thing, that vented at too low of a pressure compared to what had to be fed into it to work properly.

I don't know, but I messed with it for months with many awesome folks here trying to help, even PTP was trying to help me out.

Nothing worked and it soured me to the darn thing.

I would be exstatic if it ever worked, as the benefits are awesome. The trouble getting it to work just wasn't worth it.

I also tried a few different sets of o-rings that AGD sent me, I believe.

/shrug

secretweaponevan
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
You will need one of the newer Regulator Pistons to get your LVL 10 to work. The old ones vented at a pressure that is too low for the LVL 10 to work.

If you decide to get one ($18 => http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=30&categoryID=18) it will then be possible to tune your LVL 10. (You can also "fix" your current piston to work with the LVL 10, but it is not recommended if you are not mechanically inclined.)

LVL 10 quick tuning:
Follow these steps in order.
1. Break in carrier o-ring with 1000 shots in carrier #2 (2 lines, no dots on side of carrier).
2. Move broken-in white carrier o-ring to largest carrier that does not leak.
3. If bolt sticks on squeegy test, add shims until it resets reliably.
4. Chrono marker to field speed. (this is important, don't just do it by sound)
5. If gun breaks paint (test with no loader and make an electrical tape string for paintball to hang only halfway in breach) use a longer mainspring (on the contrary, if bolt continuously "LVL 10's" or "chuffs" use a shorter mainspring).

WSCopic
02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, followed the quick set up a few times. With a few sets of o-rings and such.

I can't even get the o-rings to seal at all. Not sure i want to throw even more money at it, but much ablidged for the tip. I will check out the piston.