PDA

View Full Version : Proto SLG vs. Automag

chefomar
02-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Does anyone have any experience with a SLG? I read a review where they say it has some similarities with the automag. (http://www.ansgear.com/Proto_SLG_Paintball_Gun_s/758.htm) I recently got a classic mag that I'm upgrading, but would this be a nice gun to get? It's pretty affordable.

deathbypaint1213
02-27-2009, 09:10 PM
I have held an 08 SLG before. I think they have a comfortable feel to them, besides the trigger. The trigger has a slightly heavier pull to it, but you could always swap it out. Also the feedneck would need to be swapped with a clamping feedneck. Otherwise, I think the gun is pretty d*** solid for the price - it has a great tournament legal board, good eyes, comfy grips, and somewhat decent air efficiency(according to proto's claim). The only things mags and slgs have it common is the dump chamber and sear. There is a video on youtube of an electro - mag conversion using an slg frame. :shooting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt8xgOcZxNs

EDIT: I would personally pick up the 09 SLG over the 08 SLG.

dark blade
02-27-2009, 09:18 PM
my friend has an SLG that i got him, i am pretty much the university Tech for paintball stuff.

I would say that the SLG is certainly a solid marker for the price, however... i would never compare it to an automag.

the firing cycle is way more complicated on an SLG vs a mag because there are impulses from the microswitch that go to the board that swaps directions on a solenoid to make it move which releases a bolt that pushes forward due to air in a front regulator that needs to be set to a certain pressure and then the air from that pushes the bolt back to a reset position in which the sear catches again.

the mag works off mechanical means. the sear pushes via trigger, closes an on/off and releases the bolt, the pressure fires the bolt while a spring returns it and the entire thing is regulated before it enters the dump chamber.

i would get an SLG if i didnt have a marker or was looking to get an electro to play with. But if you are looking at an SLG to replace the mag its like trying to replace a car with a motorcycle... Obviously you are going to have huge advantages and disadvantages for both sides.

secretweaponevan
02-27-2009, 11:11 PM
i would get an SLG if i didnt have a marker or was looking to get an electro to play with. But if you are looking at an SLG to replace the mag its like trying to replace a car with a motorcycle... Obviously you are going to have huge advantages and disadvantages for both sides.

Really well put.

MeŠiCX
03-01-2009, 10:23 AM
I recently got my hands on a couple of 09 UL SLGs. I can tell you I'm hooked. Feels much better than the PMRs I had. Only upgrades that are needed are the feedneck and ASA. Other than that they are good to go right out of the box. Some people had problems with the bolts breaking when dry firing but Dye covered them under warrany. Light, efficient, and sexy!

Comparing an Automag and SLG is like comparing a Cadilac to a Mustang.

latches109
03-04-2009, 04:19 AM
mag bc i am biased. obviously.

if you are looking at dye and like their feel, the 09 rail is a better buy for your money. the extra $150 gets you a clamping feedneck, two piece barrel, on/off asa, less kick, no pancake solenoid and no sear.

so save your money and buy a minimag

georgeyew
03-05-2009, 12:23 AM
I have a SLG UL coming to me pretty soon. I am excited to try it out and see how I like it. I am encouraged by the posts above me.

going_home
03-06-2009, 10:22 PM
I had an SLG.
Wasnt impressed to be honest.
Got rid of it pretty fast.
You could compare it to a Vibe, or an Ion but it doesnt compare to a mag man.
Bottom line of it all.

;)

drewkroeker
03-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Comparing an Automag and SLG is like comparing a Cadilac to a Mustang.

Well I like mags...so I'm a Cadillac man, right? :) lol I haven't shot a lot of current high ends (last one I shot was an 08 ego and only a couple shots over a chrono) but personally I would take a mag over any of them. The only gun I would really want to use instead would have to be something by AKA.

Try before you buy if at all possible, then you can see if you really like it. You should probably still get a mag if you do not own one already, they rock that much. :headbang: