PDA

View Full Version : Ack sheered fitting

skyless
03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Well i just torqued an air fitting into my valve too much and it sheered off flush with the valve. I was trying to get the fitting as far in as it would go and i guess it did not want to do it. Whats the best way to get it out. And when it is out, and for next time, whats the best way to get a fitting to thread all the way in. All my other fittings i tightened just untill they were tight and called it good, but for this application one all the way in. Guess im lucky it did not strip the threading.

MANN
03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
use an easy out, or send it to someone who can use one properly. (If you cant find anyone I can help)

air fittings are not ment to be screwed in all the way. They are NPT thread (national pipe thread), and taper. They are not designed to be flush.

If you need a fitting to fit further down inside of your valve you need to retap it with a modified npt tap.

skyless
03-13-2009, 06:38 PM
use an easy out, or send it to someone who can use one properly. (If you cant find anyone I can help)

air fittings are not ment to be screwed in all the way. They are NPT thread (national pipe thread), and taper. They are not designed to be flush.

If you need a fitting to fit further down inside of your valve you need to retap it with a modified npt tap.

OK i just found and bought a 1/8 nps tap, It took me a while to figure out that NPT is National pipe taper, and Nps is national pipe straight, so once i get some time to easy out the sheered fitting i should be able to retap the valve so i can get the fitting in deaper without worrying about sheering another. Thanks mann for you help.

MANN
03-13-2009, 06:39 PM
you wont want to tap it straight. you need the taper to seal it. You can get different tapers.
npt is national pipe thread.

skyless
03-13-2009, 09:46 PM
you wont want to tap it straight. you need the taper to seal it. You can get different tapers.
npt is national pipe thread.

Can i just use blue locktite to seal it or a decent amout of teflon tape? Could you hint me in the right direction for the correct size tape as i can only find 1/8-27 npt?

03-14-2009, 06:30 PM
an impact driver with a #2 philips head will twist the sheared fitting out also