PDA

View Full Version : tac-one paint advice

madrox68
03-22-2009, 09:52 PM
ok got a used tac-one that someone rattle caned red and did a horrible job. so im thinking the easy way to fix this is a by using a parts sandblaster to remove the paint and go ahead and get it powder coated the color i want or anno'd. my question is sure this will work but is there a easier way to remove the paint? and aviod the pitting that sandblasting will leave behind?

like some serious paint remover or other solvent

KAVIK35
03-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Something that worked for me and my team ...back in the day was to use heavy duty oven cleaner spray. Make sure all plastic parts and wiring is removed. hang the body from a wire outside and spray liberally with oven cleaner. Let sit in the sun for 1-2 hours and wash off with water and a soft scrub brush if required. ALSO WEAR GLOVES...trust me.

This will remove all the paint and anno.

flyingpootang
03-23-2009, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't use oven cleaner it may pit the aluminum. To remove paint soak it in Laquer thinner, Acetone or paint remover for 5-10 minutes. Most or all of it will rub right off. Also it will not affect the aluminum or anno at all.

Ravenneon
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
You could try using a brake parts cleaner---most cases it takes of a cruddy painjob...i know this by cleaning my buddy's thermostat housing on his mustang that had been cheaply rattle canned blue---the paint came rolling off like water.lol

either that or instead of sandblasting---use a different media like they use when restoring cars---it takes rust and paint off but doesn't damage the metal...just a couple suggestions

chafnerjr
03-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Odd that this discussion came up as I was just talking to LK-13 about this... here's what he says on the subject

you wouldn't believe what anodizing stripper actually turned out to be... it's just a really strong OVEN CLEANER!! Chemically no different, just really strong. like would burn your lungs out if ventilation isn't good enough.GO FIG!!

I stripped some parts perfectly from an old Green Kingmann Spyder I had Kicking around with a can of
Dollar Store Oven Cleaner; they look horribly rough and nasty till you buff them up, so not for the timid to try lol! then letter perfect shine better than chrome.

Not that I recommend this... you should actually just order anno stripper and go that way... not that I know what I am talking about, but a tac-one body isn't the cheapest thing to have to replace if you mess up.

flyingpootang
03-27-2009, 11:12 AM
The bad thing about using oven cleaner, Drain-o, or Lye is: The fumes are hazardous and if you leave it on for a couple of minutes it will pit/etch the aluminum.

Dend78
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
yeah you gotta pay attention to the stuff when you are working with it, if its rattle canned go to Napa and get some of their i think its decal remover it curls paint up really nicely

WickedKlown2
03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
I have picked up some markers in the past with some pretty nasty rattle can paintjobs... To clean it off I used Cutex Finger Nail Polish Remover based with "Acetone" (a simplest example of the ketones)... It will not hurt the Anno and will clean it up no problem... Make sure you wear latex gloves so you won't remove the moisture from your skin by using the Acetone... Also do this in a well ventilated area and wear eye protection (i.e. Safety Glasses)...

Hope that helps out...

WK2

Dend78
03-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Also do this in a well ventilated area

WK2

and miss the chem buzz?? what is with you guys bahahahah