PDA

View Full Version : Paintball.....Serious buisness.

MANN
03-26-2009, 05:49 PM
This thread is not pointing fingers at anyone. I just see threads from time to time, and wonder how AO as a paintball community expects forum purchases to complete.

What is an acceptable time frame for shipping a package to someone? A week, 2 weeks, a month, It does not matter. I have too many parts to keep track of what comes in when.

I like to think that most of us are adults (or can at least act like adults), and paintball for most of us is a hobby. A hobby by my definition is something I enjoy to do in my spare time. If I had to ship everything out that someone purchased from me the next day I would not enjoy doing it, thus defeating the point of paintball being my hobby.

Now I know there is always exceptions. XX needs part YY this weekend to play. Or ZZ purchased a 1500.00 marker. But for most parts that we trade (3.00-300.00 value) when do you expect to get the package? Should the shipper pm you with the tracking the day he/she ships, or can a simple "I shipped it" work?

IMO the rules/etiquette of shipping on this forum are different than others If I purchased something from someone on PBL or BEO, and it didnt arrive in a few months I would feel comfortable saying that the person will still come through with the deal he/she just had "real life" happen somewhere in between. On the flip side if a transaction goes 2 weeks without communication on PBN I worry.

sandfreestyle
03-26-2009, 05:58 PM
I know for me it is hard sometimes getting stuff shipped out cause I go to school to early and don't get out till after places close. The only time I really have is on my lunch break from work or on the weekends. Even then it is hard to get to it, but I will bug out early if need be.

Dend78
03-26-2009, 05:59 PM
it all comes down to communication as long as seller and buyer are in contact and they meet eachothers terms its no big deal how long it should take but personally on top end i would say 3 weeks is plenty of time for someone to get a package shipped off and a deal finished.

there wasnt a 3 weeks so i picked 2 a month is a bit long and depends on circumstances, but again back to communication

:cheers:

03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
The time involved isnt the issue for me, its the communication
If its going to get shipped out the next day, which is the way I prefer to ship but it is convenient for me because of my job, or next week, or next month all I want is to know when it shipped and a heads up if something goes wrong (something broke, cant find a part.....whatever)
If everyone involved in the transaction is aware of how long receiving of payment/shipping out goods is going to take, then theres less issues

Smoothice
03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Business yes.

Serious business no.

By that I mean communication is key in any business. With proper communication any amount of time is acceptable if both parties are o.k with it.

Personally I like to have items I purchase sent within the week. If it has to be longer then I want to know up front. Or if the time frame changes I want to know. That's how I handle the items I sell and therefore like the same amount of communication. When I sell an item I like to have it out within a few days. If i'm busy and can't get something out within a few days I let the person know.

sffudapparel
03-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Here's how I see it -

If you cannot ship a package within a week after someone pays for it, you shouldn't be selling.

If as a buyer you need an item fast, pay for upgraded shipping or ask when they will be able to get the product out.

I try to get anything I sell out within 3 days of payment. I'm not going to kill myself to make it to the post office with both work and school, but at the same time, I know shipping takes 3-5 days usually, so I don't want whoever bought the part to be sitting for 2 weeks without what they paid for. Like everyone has said, communication is key.

maniacmechanic
03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
most have said it allready ; communication is key , I normally only ship on friday , that way I got all week to get my lazy but moving

punkncat
03-26-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't mind most anything reasonable so long as there is communication about it up front. In my mind, after having paid for something, I would like to see it ship within a few days at the very least. I would say 10 days outside, if I know about it beforehand. Stretching into two weeks to ship is a bit long IMO.

Personally I tend to ship the next day. A lot of it has to do with me not having anything better to do. If I do a deal early I will even ship the same day. I generally do not deal with small parts unless I sell them together, so in that I cannot feel your particular pain.

tbaggin
03-26-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree with most. I try to get my stuff out in 2-3 days after payment. I know that a transaction i just did it took me a month to get it shipped. I kept in com with the guy, and like MANN said, I had real life happen. He was cool and all was good.

I also agree with MANN about the PBN deal. If something I buy on PBN doesnt show in a week to 10 days, I will tend to worry, cuz most PBN people arent trust worthy, I have had first hand experience from there.

Deathss
03-26-2009, 08:09 PM
I always ship out next day, I also always use Priority Mail and always send the tracking number. It takes a few minutes to print out a label using Paypal and I can do that the night before. Then I can wake up and go to the post office or call the post office and they will pick them up for free. I even took the laptop to hospital so I could send out a few packages. If for some reason I am going out of town, I will state that in the ad or auction. If I receive payment quick, I feel obligated to get the merchandise out quick. I can't stand waiting more than a week for a package I instantly paid for.

dave p
03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
the split second the money is drawn from the account, the item must ship. nothing else is acceptable IMO.

Smoothice
03-27-2009, 08:16 PM
the split second the money is drawn from the account, the item must ship. nothing else is acceptable IMO.

Now that is serious business

:rofl:

You better stick to actionvillage then.

tech-chan
03-27-2009, 11:38 PM
3 days unless I'm waiting on a part or a moneyorder to clear, in which case a week. And as always, good communication is a must.

Don Carnage
03-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Communication is key.
Unless specified in the sale thread I reasonably expect 3 weekdays to ship. Just about every post office has the 24 hour self-service machine that can do the work of mailing it. Of course huge packages dont work that way, but I've yet to mail or receive paintball parts in a box bigger than those things can handle (note: it wont handle most guns-sized boxes, so those have a reasonable excuse)

Whenever I have shipped an item to a buyer, I've busted hump during a lunch break to get it to the post office or UPS store. Yes, it's always crowded and yes I have to scarf my food down in the car, but I make the effort that I expect in return.

However, as I said, communication is key. If you take a little longer to ship for some reason, either say it up front, or just message me saying there was some delay and when you expect to get it out. Knowing is always way better than not knowing.

Empyreal Rogue
03-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I say up to week, unless you stay in constant contact with the buyer informing them of every move you make explaining what and why the transaction is taking so long.

Example, I just sold my spare X-Valve the other day and had two problems occur during the transaction: PayPal was not depositing the two amounts into my account so I could verify my new account and I could not find my ULT as part of the deal. So every day I PM'd my buyer and gave him updates until I just decided to verify my new account via Wachovia online banking and we agreed to send the package as a whole now and when I find my ULT I'll send it to him.

If it takes you a month or two weeks to send out an item, communication and reputation are saving graces. If your buyer knows you're worth your word and you keep in contact with them then you won't have any problems. That's how transactions should be, and for the most part they are like that. Sure there are exceptions like selling a very high end marker or if the buyer requests (and pays for) overnight shipping from the day of payment. But all in all as long as you keep the buyer informed then you should be okay.

corwin_160
03-28-2009, 12:20 PM
it all comes down to communication as long as seller and buyer are in contact and they meet eachothers terms its no big deal how long it should take but personally on top end i would say 3 weeks is plenty of time for someone to get a package shipped off and a deal finished.

there wasnt a 3 weeks so i picked 2 a month is a bit long and depends on circumstances, but again back to communication

:cheers:

I could not say it better my self :)

chafnerjr
03-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I figure that two parties can agree on whatever they want. Generally all of my dealings have been a week or so. Custom work is a different story all together. Still I can't see this as being a major issue on AO right? I've always had great experiences buying from many many people here. :cheers:

P.S. I can't vote as there's no selection for... umm... "depends on the deal"!?!?!. heh! :ninja:

p8ntbal4me
03-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Like most guys said before,... all depends on the seller and buyers combined communication.

I have taken as long as 4 months to get an item from a seller because it was agreed upon before the start of transaction that we would do a long term sale.

Communication was KEY,... and it ended up being my best deal yet.

I voted for a week,... only because when I buy something on eBay or on here,.. I expect the item to be wrapped up the next day when the person comes home from work, then shipped the next day when they get home. So 2 days. If they are busy,.. we talk about an acceptable time to ship it and we agree upon those terms.

I, as a buyer,.. pay immediately. So I would expect the seller to see that I am not jerking them around with the sale,.. Im serious and I want what they offer.

When I sell stuff,.. I go to the post office and buy packaging for all the items in advance so that buyers dont have to wait. I thnk its a nice thing to see from a buyer "hey I just paid you" on your end as a seller,.. then the buyer sees "items are packed, will ship tomorrow night". Shows maturity on both ends.

~ P8nt

Toll
03-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I give it about a week. It entirely depends whats involved. If he has the gun ready to go/etc then yeah, a week is fine. If he says he has to clean it/set something/etc then more than a week is probably in line.

The only thing I'd get uppity about is if he just magically disappears for 2 weeks/seeing him taking offers elsewhere

MANN
03-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Communication is key.
Unless specified in the sale thread I reasonably expect 3 weekdays to ship. Just about every post office has the 24 hour self-service machine that can do the work of mailing it.

wow where do you live? We have 2 of these in our city (knoxville). I have been to ~ 6-7 around me that dont have these.

Don Carnage
03-29-2009, 05:06 PM
wow where do you live? We have 2 of these in our city (knoxville). I have been to ~ 6-7 around me that dont have these.
Really?
I'm about an hour north of Dallas. Worked in several locations around DFW in 2 counties where I used the local postoffices to mail stuff. I think it's about 5 post offices I've used for this and every one of them has the machine.

MANN
03-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Really?
I'm about an hour north of Dallas. Worked in several locations around DFW in 2 counties where I used the local postoffices to mail stuff. I think it's about 5 post offices I've used for this and every one of them has the machine.
It would make shipping alot easier if/when they install these in all of them. I have to drive ~ 30min to get to one. :(

dave p
03-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Now that is serious business

:rofl:

You better stick to actionvillage then.
well not necessarily action village, but yes, only from legitimate , established businesses.

StygShore
03-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Thursday night I make a sale
Thursday night - buyer sends PM asks if I shipped it
Thursday later in the PM buyer verifies address and asks if I shipped it again

Friday morning - buyer send PM asking if I shipped it and verified address ... again
Friday afternoon - I PM buyer and say I was at work and I will ship it Saturday

Saturday morning buyer sends PM and asks if it shipped and how I shipped it
Saturday afternoon I print postage and put it in the mailbox.
Later Saturday afternoon buyer PMs me again asking if I shipped it
I send Delivery notification from USPS package so he can see when it gets to his door...

so in he spanse of about 36 hours the buyer asked me if I shipped 5 times.....

Styg

Smoothice
03-30-2009, 11:11 AM
well not necessarily action village, but yes, only from legitimate , established businesses.

I see. That makes sense. But it has nothing to do with this discussion as this discussion has nothing to do with established businesses.

Dealing online does have its risks. So I can see why you stick to legitimate established businesses.

MANN
03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Thursday night I make a sale
Thursday night - buyer sends PM asks if I shipped it
Thursday later in the PM buyer verifies address and asks if I shipped it again

Friday morning - buyer send PM asking if I shipped it and verified address ... again
Friday afternoon - I PM buyer and say I was at work and I will ship it Saturday

Saturday morning buyer sends PM and asks if it shipped and how I shipped it
Saturday afternoon I print postage and put it in the mailbox.
Later Saturday afternoon buyer PMs me again asking if I shipped it
I send Delivery notification from USPS package so he can see when it gets to his door...

so in he spanse of about 36 hours the buyer asked me if I shipped 5 times.....

Styg

This is exactly the kind of stuff that drives me crazy.