PDA

View Full Version : Mini, SLG or G3? And why?

mpsd
03-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I just saw Chrishew09's thread about the Mini and that brought me to another question regarding beginner's markers.

In the past two to three years, the paintball industry released a lot of new guns that offer big performance for a very reasonable price. I won't speak about SP guns here because I just don't like them very much, even with the great public success they managed to get, both here and in US.

So, if someone asks me today for a beginners marker capable of keeping up with the big dogs out there without spending big money, I'd come down to three markers:

- Invert Mini
- Proto SLG
- DP G3

All of them are around US$ 300.00 brand new and all of them have all the firing modes one could ask for.

In fact, if I wasn't such a ***** for Mags, I would definatelly have one of them. There's no way someone can prove me that a DM9 is worth US$ 1,400.00 while a SLG that shoots just as good can be bought for just US$ 300.00 plus a nicer barrel (say US$ 120.00 for a DW with some inserts). Or an Ego and the most ridiculous of all, the Luxe, that sell around US$ 1,500.00.

So, what's your thoughts about it and which of the three would you buy?

MANN
03-29-2009, 06:05 PM
I have a mini. It is too small for me, but is a nice marker. I chose it because I got a good deal on a new one. They are great chick markers.

punkncat
03-29-2009, 07:04 PM
I have pretty big hands, and in spite of it, I really like my Mini. It is super easy to care for, shoots well, good on air, light....just not much more you could ask of a marker.

MANN
03-29-2009, 07:10 PM
.just not much more you could ask of a marker.
it does not talk to you. :(

really for the price tho you could get a used viking. it will weigh a little more, but is a higher "quality" imo

StygShore
03-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Don't even have to ask me my choice :)

But I had a G3, and one of the people I play with has one currently, they are fast and even more simple than the Mini to maintain. The Mini and G3 have similar feels, they are both super compact, easy to maintain, and mediocre triggers on both of them. The Mini edges out the G3 in efficiency if those numbers matter to anyone ( Mini=1100 G3=700 on a 48/4500 ) The G3's edges out the Mini in ease of maintenance ( 3 parts to clean compared to 5 ) If you are the type to buy extras and add ons - go with the G3, more aftermarket that matter and standard parts on it compared to the Mini.

I have no experience with an SLG besides not being able to get 4 to work that I saw at the filed at the end of last year in the 25 degree temps.

Styg

snoopay700
03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
I would choose an excal if i had to, it's not much more used generally from what i've seen. However they aren't readily available so i chose the mini because i like the design better, the slg is cool and is second place, but the g3, there's something about the whole not ever cutting off the airflow that sort of bugs me from an engineering stand point. It's sloppy.

StygShore
03-29-2009, 07:33 PM
I have a mini. It is too small for me, but is a nice marker. I chose it because I got a good deal on a new one. They are great chick markers.

agreed they make great chick guns :)

Styg

sffudapparel
03-29-2009, 08:40 PM
the RAPS asa on the G3 is amazingly nice. I've only owned the G3, but I was very impressed and only sold it to buy my viking. I'd go either G3 or mini

MeŠiCX
03-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Don't like the Mini (too small and problem prone) and never shot a G3. I have a couple of UL SLGs and love them. All of my markers get spoiled with a DeadlyWind barrel. Shoot like a dream and 0 problems so far.

Chrishew09
03-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Don't even have to ask me my choice :)

( Mini=1100 G3=700 on a 48/4500 )

Styg

WOW, on a 48ci that's impressive!!

StygShore
03-30-2009, 10:38 PM
WOW, on a 48ci that's impressive!!

Pulled about 1250-1300 on a FULL 48/4500 fill at Michigan Monster Game last year - I think thats the best I have ever done efficiency wise.

Shooting in semi only I see a lot better efficiency on the Mini than in the ramping modes. On average I have 200 in my hopper, and 600 on my back, and I leave the field with about 1000-1200 psi left in my tank

Styg