PDA

View Full Version : Hydro testing

govnamac
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
What company are people using to hydrotest pb tanks these days? Anyone in NJ or at least on the east coast?

behemoth
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM
aquahuthydro.com

Madmarx
03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
I brought mine to a local field (NH) and they shipped them out to California.

BYERSMAG
03-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Check these places out.
DOT Cylinder Retesters (http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PHMSA/menuitem.ebdc7a8a7e39f2e55cf2031050248a0c/?vgnextoid=18dee6285188e110VgnVCM1000001ecb7898RCR D&vgnextchannel=90892f5484d87110VgnVCM1000009ed07898 RCRD&vgnextfmt=print)

mandhfire (http://mandhfire.com/)

Crossfire (http://www.crossfireinc.com/) also hydro's tanks for around $20

MB

Loco_AEXY
03-31-2009, 03:37 PM
I just got 6 tanks back from crossfire that I sent in for hydro testing (plus one reg swap) and at $20 a piece I was very happy. MY only complaint was a slight lack of communiaction. On their site they implied they would call within a day or so of receiving the tanks but I never received a call. I finally called them after ~3 weeks and they said they were already done, just waiting on my payment (which they never called for :rolleyes: )

But they were returned back to me within 3 days after the call and the price was great. I would definitely use them again.

Big'n slo
03-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Sup Gov,

http://www.brassanchor.com/hydrotest.html

In MD
Quick, easy and cheap

psychowarden
03-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I just got 6 tanks back from crossfire that I sent in for hydro testing (plus one reg swap) and at $20 a piece I was very happy. MY only complaint was a slight lack of communiaction. On their site they implied they would call within a day or so of receiving the tanks but I never received a call. I finally called them after ~3 weeks and they said they were already done, just waiting on my payment (which they never called for :rolleyes: )

But they were returned back to me within 3 days after the call and the price was great. I would definitely use them again.

I used Crossfire for a hydro and reg swap also, but the communication was great, I got a call a few days after I sent the tank, made the payment, and it was sent back to be very quickly, I just got it back yesterday actually.

UThomas
03-31-2009, 05:35 PM
My experience with crossfire for 3 tanks last month was almost identical as Loco_AEXY. I would def use them again though - but I had to call.

tribalman
03-31-2009, 06:08 PM

i used crossfire too, sent in a tank and i waited 2 weeks and didn't hear anything. I emailed them only to find out that their testing equipment broke and they were backed up and behind schedule. it then took another few weeks to do the payment method as AEXY stated. I thought that was the point of asking for email, to contact the customer. price was good though. good thing i didn't need the tank that month.

Loco_AEXY
04-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Since I didn't need the tanks immediately (weather is just starting to get nice here in MI) the delay was no big deal, but it was a little annoying given the request for all the contact info. But the tanks literally arrived 2 days after I called and paid, so great recovery on their part!

Just be sure if you need the tank(s) back qiuckly to followup with them a few days after sending them. Like I said, in the end, I was VERY happy.

govnamac
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm going with the people in MD that Slo mentioned. I called them, and they said 2-3 day turnaround time from when they receive to when they ship out. Also, $20 per tank plus $10 shipping isn't bad.

Dayspring
04-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Do they have expertise with Flatline tanks? I know we have a special rig to get the regulator off.

govnamac
04-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Don't know, I don't have a flatline. And who is we?

How different can the flatlines be from other tanks?

Dayspring
04-02-2009, 02:30 PM
We meaning AGD techs.

Don't know, I don't have a flatline. And who is we?

How different can the flatlines be from other tanks?

govnamac
04-02-2009, 02:37 PM
We meaning AGD techs.

Do you get a mask and AGD cape to wear when fixing guns to go along with the title?

Whats different about flatlines that calls for a special tool?

Dayspring
04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
The Reg? :P

govnamac
04-02-2009, 06:49 PM
The Reg? :P

No kidding. I mean does it attach to the tank differently or is it because of the attachments on the reg?

Dayspring
04-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Not 100% sure TBH. I just know that some hydrotest places have issues with Flatlines cuz of the non-standard-ness of the reg.

punkncat
04-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Not on the east coast, but I am about to send a tank out to Hydro Labs in Washington. The draw for me is that they use a small retest label and do a neat job about putting it on. They are also claiming 24 hour turnaround. Return shipping, and removal/reinstallation of the reg is less than $40.

Let you know how it turns out.

govnamac
04-03-2009, 12:51 PM
I actually think I used them for a friend a few years ago. If it is the same place they were good. Just shipping from here takes a while.

Destructo6
04-04-2009, 05:03 AM
Find a firefighter's supply shop.

I had a tank hydro'd locally for about $25.

govnamac
04-14-2009, 05:06 PM
I used Brass Anchor and it was shipped back to me on the third day after they received it.

Tunaman
04-14-2009, 05:55 PM
We meaning AGD techs.Another wannabe Tech... :D

bunny5
05-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Sup Gov,

http://www.brassanchor.com/hydrotest.html

In MD
Quick, easy and cheap

Sent my stuff yesterday, they called me direct to let me know they got everything today, and will be sending the stuff back tomarrow. I guess it doesn't hurt that I live in Northern VA!!!

Btw, $20.00 a bottle. :cheers:

Flatliner333
05-13-2009, 11:29 PM
I take my tank to a local scuba dive shop.

kcombs9
05-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I just go to local scuba place or some where that does gas fills for weilding tanks. 12$ here in IL / IA

neppo1345
05-14-2009, 09:28 AM
aquahuthydro.com

Gotta second this.

They're quick, inexpensive, and ship everything USPS priority.

fishmishin
05-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Try giving these guys a call. I don't know what their turnaround is, but they used to only charge $15.
Hiller Systems Inc.
1242 Executive Blvd.
Chesapeake, VA 23320

T 757.549.9123
F 757.549.1083
TF 1.877.HSI.FIRE

ZEROte
05-16-2009, 08:31 PM
why didn't you come to me and ask me? there are two local places like 10 minutes from where i live. one place is 1 week at 30 dollars the other is done while you wait for 15.

govnamac
05-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Why didn't you respond to this thread in March when I posted it?

Flatliner333
05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Hey,Hey,Hey you two...I'll turn this car around right now and we'll go back home....Just Funnin :rofl:

ZEROte
05-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Why didn't you respond to this thread in March when I posted it?

i was probably going to in march and figured you would just drop a line

SithSteve
05-17-2009, 10:43 PM
I just had a tank done by Crossfire and I'm very pleased. Total price was under $35 and I had it back in under a week. Plus, they did a nice/clean job adhering the new label... I hate when some testers glob epoxy all over the tank!

chopper duke
05-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I sent one to crossfire last week. They got it yesterday. I called to make sure. Talked with the guy I believe does the Hydroing by the way he talked. He told me he does the testing on Fridays and usually does 50-80 tanks and then puts on the new stickers and resin on Mondays and Tuesdays. He told me to call back and give them my billing info then and they'll be able to get it out quicker that way to me.

I had printed the sheet so it'll only be $20 and they'll reinstall the reg for me. I prefer to have that done professionally.

punkncat
05-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Not on the east coast, but I am about to send a tank out to Hydro Labs in Washington. The draw for me is that they use a small retest label and do a neat job about putting it on. They are also claiming 24 hour turnaround. Return shipping, and removal/reinstallation of the reg is less than $40.

Let you know how it turns out.

Got mine back from Hydro Labs, and it looks awesome. Very small label, neatly placed on the tank. They will definately get more of my business.

Will Wood
05-19-2009, 08:10 PM
I've never done it myself, but I've heard people going to their towns fire station and they will do it for them.

I always bought/sold tanks that were in hydro. Never needed a hydro test lol... (plus my local field just had an open air hose for everyone to fill up as needed .. haha kinda unsafe)

You local dive shop might be able to help you out too. Funny ... my old and current hobby uses pressurized air.

ZEROte
05-19-2009, 09:32 PM
I've never done it myself, but I've heard people going to their towns fire station and they will do it for them.

I always bought/sold tanks that were in hydro. Never needed a hydro test lol... (plus my local field just had an open air hose for everyone to fill up as needed .. haha kinda unsafe)

You local dive shop might be able to help you out too. Funny ... my old and current hobby uses pressurized air.

a lot of fire departments will direct you in the right direction but wont actually do it for you. dive shops will probably send it out for you. one of the places by me does that.

KC
05-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Ha, ha, ha, dead. :(

:nono:

Something will happen eventually and self filling and regulator integrity are going to get some much needed regulations.

EDIT: Just found this: http://www.brassanchor.com/hydrotest.html From page one. & Im sold.

chopper duke
05-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Well, Crossfire said they would call me at the beginning of the week (Mon/ Tues) and get my billing info. I gave them Tues/ Wed cause of the Holiday and never got a call, so I called today. They can't find my info anywhere. He's going to look for it and call me back. Glad I used USPS with a DC number. What's sad is, they told me they had on the 18th when I called.

Edit: Shortly after I wrote this, Jeremiah called me back from Crossfire. They had the tank, it was done Hyrdoing and they were getting it out to me! Now to check with Bill from PBChainmale! :headbang:

maineiacpballer
05-28-2009, 04:30 PM
I live in Maine and take my tanks to a local shop. I dropped a tank off on Saturday 5/23 and got it back Tuesday 5/26. Cost was $24, but quick turn around and they do their own testing on site. Not sure if they would take mailings, but I would suggest seeing if their is a scuba center near you that would do it for you. My only thing is, make sure you take off your reg before you get it to them.

Maine Divers Scuba Center (http://www.mainediversscubacenter.com/)

kumijia
05-29-2009, 08:51 PM
I used http://www.hydrotester.com/ they did a good job, decent turn around time, and nice small clean label. Only thing is they messed my Flatline Reg up. the other thing is i heard if you use a scuba place, or welding place, your tank is transported with all the bigger tanks and it runs the risk of getting damaged.

Will Wood
05-29-2009, 09:42 PM
I live in Maine and take my tanks to a local shop. I dropped a tank off on Saturday 5/23 and got it back Tuesday 5/26. Cost was $24, but quick turn around and they do their own testing on site. Not sure if they would take mailings, but I would suggest seeing if their is a scuba center near you that would do it for you. My only thing is, make sure you take off your reg before you get it to them.

Maine Divers Scuba Center (http://www.mainediversscubacenter.com/)

Ewwww Maine Diving.
Johnsons FTW.