PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between a Superbolt and a lightning?

TeamBob
03-31-2009, 02:01 PM
As the title says, im looking n2 gettting my first cocker for a pump project. They both seem to be really cheap, and the reviews dont seem to be too bad.

Or are they the same gun? What is the difference between a mini cocker and the norm?

Any input?

xero28
03-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Don't know much about them. As far as I know they are made by a different company (not WGP), that's why they are so cheap. Could be wrong there though.

The only difference between a mini and a normal cocker is that the body is cut back a bit where the front block connects. Look at a normal cocker. Notice where the vert asa is. On the minis, the front block is back where the asa is and you either have the asa integrated into the block or there is an adapter to connect the regulator to the front block. I don't know much about minis either, but I've heard that cutting the body like that reduces the size of the air chamber and you may need a low pressure chamber on your front block.

-X

Whee McGee
03-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Both are made by Psychoballistics. Lightnings are WGP clones, Superbolts are Dye clones. Aside from the fact that they're made from a "knockoff" company, they are just like any other cockers out there. They work fine, and you can enjoy tuning and customizing to meet your expectations.

warbeak2099
03-31-2009, 02:57 PM
They are cocker clones made by Psycho Ballistics. The milling was copied from DYE's Reflex cockers but the quality is far far below a Reflex. Superbolts are Mini cockers and Lightnings are full bodied. The main issues people have with them are poor pneumatics and poor internal tolerances. Some people have luck with aftermarket valves and hammers, others don't.

Basically I'd only get one if you're going to pump it. They're great for that. But for a semi or electro cocker they are just not worth dumping money into.

TeamBob
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
thanks fellas. Ya, i only tend to pump it. Other then that, a cocker is a cocker, and im on a Automag board, not a cocker board. Nuff said. I know that cockers CAN be nice guns, but never seem to see what that works, weither its a $100 or a $1000 1. I want something different, besides mags and phantoms, from every1 else at my field. No1 else has mags or phantoms either, or even know what they are. I like to be different, and kick their high end a$$ on a dialy basis lol.

going_home
03-31-2009, 07:11 PM
The Lightning has a full length body with an angled vert asa coming out of the body behind the front block.

http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/2400

The Superbolt has a shortened body with the vert asa coming out of the front block.

http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/2401

The Lightning will take a bolt on pump kit but the Superbolt will need some modifications to the pump rods, shortening them and re-threading .

You can click on the pics and a pop up will have bigger pics.

I'd get the Lightning for ease of pump kit install.

:D

punkncat
04-02-2009, 08:26 AM
One is junk, and the other is trash......... :D