PDA

View Full Version : vortex shredding

stoffa15
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
This is a thread that I started for Cocker punk. I originally tried pming you but your box is full.I watched your new vid on youtube and was wondering a couple of things.

I get the whole under bore over bore issue, and barrel length not really being a factor with accuracy but maybe the transition the ball makes from the barrel to air might make a difference. I have a crownpoint and for some reason I think its dead on.I really think that Tom Kaye had something there.The vortex shedding seems to be pretty consistent in the video you linked.

These are my thoughts.
we know the air pressure and turbulence outside the barrel are not equal to what you have shooting the marker.

vortex shedding seems consistent enough with a perfectly round object

what if you could induce the same vortex shredding that you get in flight, inside the barrel???"CrownPoint barrel" ????

thoughts???

p.s. I really respect the work that your doing for the paintball community. I hope that you'll be designing something soon.

Thanx
Chris

snoopay700
03-31-2009, 06:19 PM
This is a thread that I started for Cocker punk. I originally tried pming you but your box is full.I watched your new vid on youtube and was wondering a couple of things.

I get the whole under bore over bore issue, and barrel length not really being a factor with accuracy but maybe the transition the ball makes from the barrel to air might make a difference. I have a crownpoint and for some reason I think its dead on.I really think that Tom Kaye had something there.The vortex shedding seems to be pretty consistent in the video you linked.

These are my thoughts.
we know the air pressure and turbulence outside the barrel are not equal to what you have shooting the marker.

vortex shredding seems consistent enough with a perfectly round object

what if you could induce the same vortex shredding that you get in flight, inside the barrel???"CrownPoint barrel" ????

thoughts???

p.s. I really respect the work that your doing for the paintball community. I hope that you'll be designing something soon.

Thanx
Chris
You do realize that Tom wasn't serious with that post right? it was mainly just to see if people really took his word as if it were the word of god. On the plus side crown points look cool.

stoffa15
03-31-2009, 10:20 PM
You do realize that Tom wasn't serious with that post right? it was mainly just to see if people really took his word as if it were the word of god. On the plus side crown points look cool.

Is that fact???? :cry:

There has to be a way to improve accuracy with barrels.

snoopay700
04-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Is that fact???? :cry:

There has to be a way to improve accuracy with barrels.
There is, it's called getting a barrel with one I.D. down the length, that seems to have worked the best for me. There's more you can do but that's the easiest way, but i don't think paintball barrels are going to get any more accurate.

AGD
04-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Saddly its true, the Crown Point did nothing for accuracy. Vortex Shedding is the evil of all paintballs and it ruins accuracy after it leaves the barrel.

AGD

Spider-TW
04-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Saddly its true, the Crown Point did nothing for accuracy. Vortex Shedding is the evil of all paintballs and it ruins accuracy after it leaves the barrel.

AGD
But Crown Points do make a nice sound. :D

cockerpunk
04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
i do like my crownpoints, and its vortex shedding not shredding.

makes me think rather childish thoughts -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/59/TMNT1987_Shredder.png

but yes, in my conclusion videos i do tend to summarize things. this is both for times sake (i can go on and on and on) and because most of the people watching do not need or want all the little details. but yes, our testing agrees with TKs work in that vortex shedding is really the source of nearly all of a paintball guns accuracy problems.

what i did not know is how bad a barrel you needed to really make the initial conditions inconsistent enough to change things, the answer is, really really really bad.

the best thing you can do to get better accuracy is good, fresh paintballs, and a reasonably consistent gun.

BTW, we try to keep most of the discussions about our tests on techpb so that we have them all in one place. its cool, we just have a better control over things, and a community of players all very interested in these things.

stoffa15
04-01-2009, 08:55 PM
i do like my crownpoints, and its vortex shedding not shredding.

makes me think rather childish thoughts -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/59/TMNT1987_Shredder.png

but yes, in my conclusion videos i do tend to summarize things. this is both for times sake (i can go on and on and on) and because most of the people watching do not need or want all the little details. but yes, our testing agrees with TKs work in that vortex shedding is really the source of nearly all of a paintball guns accuracy problems.

what i did not know is how bad a barrel you needed to really make the initial conditions inconsistent enough to change things, the answer is, really really really bad.

the best thing you can do to get better accuracy is good, fresh paintballs, and a reasonably consistent gun.

BTW, we try to keep most of the discussions about our tests on techpb so that we have them all in one place. its cool, we just have a better control over things, and a community of players all very interested in these things.

lol sorry about shredder lol. :headbang:

Damn now I have to come up with something else. :tard: