PDA

View Full Version : X-Valve Regulator Pin Help

xero28
04-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Hey all. My X-valve has been doing some weird stuff on me lately. When I turn up the velocity it starts to vent out of the relief hole, but not all of the time. If it starts to vent, I can turn the velocity adjuster either in or out and it will stop for a while. Since I can turn the velocity UP and it will stop, I'm thinking it isn't a problem with too much pressure, could be wrong there though. I'm also getting some weird velocity spikes. I took the valve apart this morning and took out the Regulator Pin Assembly:

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2119/lg115copy.jpg

On the top O-ring (I guess that's what you'd call it), in between the two humps, there is a small vertical cut through the urethane. I've pointed to this on the picture. Is this normal. I can't really see how it would get a cut like this unless it was intentional, but it may just be old and got cracked. I'm thinking that as the velocity nut is turning, so is the pin and changing the location of this cut, which would account for the venting at different points of velocity adjustment? :confused:

I got the valve used and have only played with it a few times. The first couple of times it worked great, then it started on these problems.

Any and all help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

-X

Spider-TW
04-01-2009, 11:31 AM
That crack belongs there.

It's a split washer, nylon I think.

I've cured some erratic behavior in an x-valve with a clean out of the reg pin pocket and assembly and re-lube (directly), even when the pin looked mostly clean. When they are very hard to pull out, I take that as a sign that they are sticky in operation. Those orings can get hard as well, which makes them work well when lubed, but then they go back to sticking.

xero28
04-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks. Yeah, it was quite difficult to get the pin out, I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers. I'll clean everything nicely and lube it up well. Thanks for the help. If anyone has any other ideas though, I'm always open to learning new things.

-X

secretweaponevan
04-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Try replacing the regulator seat o-ring. It can cause problems with velocity when bad.

Konigballer
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
your reg piston might be bad also.

Spider-TW
04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
your reg piston might be bad also.
Or at least as sticky as your reg pin from the same old lube.

Spider-TW
04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks. Yeah, it was quite difficult to get the pin out, I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers. I'll clean everything nicely and lube it up well. Thanks for the help. If anyone has any other ideas though, I'm always open to learning new things.

-X
Next time put a probe or coated wire through the hole to pull it out after you take out the seat oring (if you didn't try that). The pin is hard, but you don't want it scratched or burred where the seat oring runs.